Long time reader, first time here!

Welcome Enlightened, glad you decided to join us. Since you have been here using the forum for years, there's no need to tell you where to start because you have probably already read it. So, should we hope to see a journal from you in the future?

Sounds like a good plan to me. I don't know anything about t5 lights but just curious how much you paid for your 400w hps. Someone had mentioned htg to me before but I ended up getting mine from the bay for 132. I would like to get another one, does your light work with mh as well as hps?

As for mothers, well here is a link I have, not sure if you saw it already...Bonsai Mothers

Wow! That's exactly what I have been looking for! Thanks so much!

I got my light a few years ago back before the digital ballasts were even around ( I think).
I went to get a cheaper one for like 200$ but they were out of stock and sent me the next grade up instead (an argostar) Since then, the prices have dropped a lot, probably because technology in the ballasts have gotten better or something. From what I read, the new digital ballasts are quieter and have a better energy output than the magnetics. I'm thinking about maybe picking up another HPS in digital

Funny thing about my light, Is when i bought it, They said you could run hps/mh on it no problem..now, I'm reading about MH bulbs in HPS systems blowing up. Seemed to work for me though

Hey xEnl1ghtenedx, :welcome: to 420 Magazine!

If you haven't already, please take a moment to check out the guidelines: Forum Guidelines, I also recommend you read through Forum Guideline FAQs before you get started.

Need to learn how to upload photos, embed a video, add a link to your signature, etc.? It's all right here: Member Resources

I keep bonsai moms too...and just picked up a 4' 8 lamp T5 HO fixture for them... :thumb:

I think for moms they would be fine...but for vegging, I personally would want the HOs to keep the nodes nice and tight...but that's just my opinion, it all depends on what you are going to be happy with.

Light is the single most limiting factor in an indoor grow. You can grow with a couple of CFLs...but you can grow much bigger and better with 1000 Watt HID lighting! Finding the sweet-spot that works for your setup is the key. :thumb:

:Namaste:

I totally agree vapedogg. I got my HPS a few years ago, and have been looking at HTG's newer stuff. I kind of want to upgrade to a 600W hps, but at the same time i want a MH. I know that I should be able to move my 400W into the veg room and get a conversion bulb, but I have heard that conversion bulbs don't put out as much output as a regular MH ballast. I'm trying to be cost effective and am trying to figure out the best way to go. When I first got my HPS from HTG, they said I could run both HPS and MH on it..even sent me an MH bulb along with an HPS bulb. The MH fired up just fine, but I dont want to burn my place down.

I totally agree vapedogg. I got my HPS a few years ago, and have been looking at HTG's newer stuff. I kind of want to upgrade to a 600W hps, but at the same time i want a MH. I know that I should be able to move my 400W into the veg room and get a conversion bulb, but I have heard that conversion bulbs don't put out as much output as a regular MH ballast. I'm trying to be cost effective and am trying to figure out the best way to go. When I first got my HPS from HTG, they said I could run both HPS and MH on it..even sent me an MH bulb along with an HPS bulb. The MH fired up just fine, but I dont want to burn my place down.

Yeah...conversion bulbs put out less light for the same wattage, and they cost more. What is the brand/model of that ballast? I would try looking it up, or calling them to see exactly what you are working with. Some magnetic ballasts have a switch...but if you just threw in the different bulb and it works, that sounds like an electronic ballast.

I don't blame you for not wanting to take any chances...safety first! :thumb:

Wow! That's exactly what I have been looking for! Thanks so much! got my light a few years ago back before the digital ballasts were even around ( I think).I went to get a cheaper one for like 200$ but they were out of stock and sent me the next grade up instead (an argostar) Since then, the prices have dropped a lot, probably because technology in the ballasts have gotten better or something. From what I read, the new digital ballasts are quieter and have a better energy output than the magnetics. I'm thinking about maybe picking up another HPS in digitalFunny thing about my light, Is when i bought it, They said you could run hps/mh on it no problem..now, I'm reading about MH bulbs in HPS systems blowing up. Seemed to work for me though

No problem, I am here to help when I can and am also interested in bonsai mothers. I am new to hps lighting so I have a lot of questions when it comes to bulbs. My light allows for mh or hps but my hps bulb blew over a month ago, just got the light in January which I thought was kinda quick for a bulb to blow. But hey what do I know? I know it's a digital ballast but I am not sure if I can use any hps bulb to replace it or I have to look for something universal? With how much they cost, I want to make sure I am getting the right one.

You're right QueenTokeLove, those bulbs should last about a year, though I have heard about 2 grows and they lose lumens. Probably a faulty bulb. As far as digital ballasts and the bulb, I dont think it should make a difference what you put in them, as long as the watts are the same. They have multi spectrum HPS lights that have more blue wavelenghs for a fuller spectrum. I looked on HTGsupply and they have specific bulbs for the digitals. Hrm. I would check it out.

I have a little 250 watt I got a couple of years ago that I use for veg that can take either a MH or HPS bulb. It has a switch on the side that you flip up and down depending on which bulb you are using. Maybe it's something like that??

Welcome to 420!!!!!!

:welcome:

Mine doesn't have a switch at all, just switch the bulbs. I have a digital ballast.

I've been looking at a digital ballast that has 400w & 600w and can also be used with MH or HPS bulbs...is that what you have??? Would love feedback on it...

I was thinking about going LED but my state has low plant limits so I have to grow bigger plants and I don't think LED's do well with big plants so sticking with HID for now.

Back
Top Bottom