Looking for a new grow tent

Savvage61

When I first decided to start growing I got a cheap 4x4 grow tent. it has served me well But after this grow I need to replace it Im starting to get light leaks from the zipper what I am looking for is a quality made/and material, side access I usually grow using a scrog net the tents with the side access allow me to get in the back 2 plants. zippers are the big issue the are and gorilla are both quality but no side panels I like the mars hydro because they have a zipper cover that prevent zipper light the 4x4 vivosun and AC cloud lab has every thing I like. Im just not sure about the zipper durability I would apprerciate some other experiences or recommendations of a long lasting.
marsh hydro and Vivosun are both sponsor and I would prefer to support them but it worries me because they are so inexpensive could I grow with either one for 2-3 yurs without light leaks

Gorilla Grow Tents are solid but expensive.
One feature that I really like about the Gorilla Grow tents is they don't have a door. Instead, the body of the tent wraps around the frame so you can unzip the tent in the front and then open up as much of the sides of the tent as you want.

ATM, I have the right flap pulled back and the left one about half open. The plant on the left is getting increased PPFD because the flap is only half open and I'm controlling RH by having the right size open.

Another feature is tent extensions to increase the height over the standard 6' 11" height. You can use up to two tent extensions, each one adding 1' to the height of the tent. I have one extension which allows me to put a riser under my reservoir (there's a hot water pipe in the garage floor) plus the height of a 35 gallon reservoir plus 50" tall stems. Even that that height, I don't run out of room for the light or the air filter.

My tent is 2' x 4' and I would definitely buy Gorilla Grow tent.

thanks everyone, Finding out about the side access is a game changer being an OLD BULL MOOSE it isnt easy for me to "tip toe through the tulips" and a 4X4 combined area I am more of the Bull in a china shop . correct me if I am wrong but it sounds if I take care of a gorilla I wont need to buy another tent for 4-5 years if this is the case Im sold onb getting a gorilla
Thx for the help

thanks everyone, Finding out about the side access is a game changer being an OLD BULL MOOSE it isnt easy for me to "tip toe through the tulips" and a 4X4 combined area I am more of the Bull in a china shop . correct me if I am wrong but it sounds if I take care of a gorilla I wont need to buy another tent for 4-5 years if this is the case Im sold onb getting a gorilla
Thx for the help
I've had my GG tent since 2017 but have done just five grows, one in 2017 and starting grow #4 since early 2021. The zipper are in good shape and it's a sturdy SOB, too. I've had to get into the top of the tent to put up hangers and it's rock solid.

IMG_8121.jpeg

Grow tents are another you get what you pay for.. I just cannibalized multiple grow tents and there is a pretty big quality difference. The GG and Apollo stuff were strong, stitched together very well, and did not tear easily. The zippers were nice quality and large enough to make grasping them easier. If you want multiple years out of a tent you’re gonna wanna spend a little extra on the nice stuff.

Yeah Im realizing that The Vivosun and marsh Hydro aren't much more than My cheap tent was and Im pretty sure its because of the name and there are pretty much the tent I have now not bad but its cheap I really like the gorilla Lite I dont wanna spend too much because I wanna up grade my lights I am going to look at the apollos I haven't checked them out yet . it is actually the perfect time to convince the wife,Im 8 weeks from harvest and That will put me early December? Christmas time that when when After being married as long as I have Ya know how to play the game lol
Again you all have been a big help Thx :snowboating:

After being married as long as I have Ya know how to play the game lol
Isn't that the truth! Next January it'll be 40 years for me and the Mrs., plus we lived together for 7 years before we got married! To me, the key is, pick your issues, and, to quote George Carlin, "don't sweat the petty things (and don't pet the sweaty things)". LOL

Isn't that the truth! Next January it'll be 40 years for me and the Mrs., plus we lived together for 7 years before we got married! To me, the key is, pick your issues, and, to quote George Carlin, "don't sweat the petty things (and don't pet the sweaty things)". LOL
dead on we're 2yrs away from our 40 also we are 2 rare dogs not everyone can survive a marriage that long, but ya get to a point ya already know what they are gonna say and you become one mind. thats the better of the "for better or worse" :thumb:

My wife and I have been together for 21 years and married for 15.. We’re both under 40 as well so we are definitely the last of a dying breed ourselves. Humans change. A lot of times the person you marry becomes someone you didn’t marry. It takes a lot of work to maintain that love and those bonds with each other.

If you can find someone you love, trust, and enjoy being with, it’s imperative you be open to change and growth with that person, otherwise you’re wasting each other’s time.

On topic, the GG lite was one of the tents and it was strong. It was also really easy to put up and really sturdy. It was mentioned you can open the sides on it which is really useful if it’s too difficult to move around inside. You can open the sides while still maintaining the integrity of the poles so any sort of stuff setup on the poles will hold when it’s opened up.

Mars Hydro even though cheap have some nice light proof tents though i use a Gorilla 5x9 (have a spare 5x5) amd shes served me well. You'll get light leaks hear and there, you'll also want to cannibalize the tent to you setup, ive cut custom ventilation into mine for leads and intake. Its worth the investment, 6 years on andxstill going strong, i managed to bend the poles of the 5x9 to obtain its height of seven foot with the extension with centimetres spare for roof clearence. Theres a high quality tent line from Agradehydropinics.com and their white oriented with unique designs. Check them out!

Mars Hydro even though cheap have some nice light proof tents though i use a Gorilla 5x9 (have a spare 5x5) amd shes served me well. You'll get light leaks hear and there, you'll also want to cannibalize the tent to you setup, ive cut custom ventilation into mine for leads and intake. Its worth the investment, 6 years on andxstill going strong, i managed to bend the poles of the 5x9 to obtain its height of seven foot with the extension with centimetres spare for roof clearence. Theres a high quality tent line from Agradehydropinics.com and their white oriented with unique designs. Check them out!
I grabbed black gorilla tape for the inevitable light leaks.. it seals them off and holds the vinyl really really well which is tough to find. Most duct tape won’t hold the smooth vinyl well but the gorilla tape made quick work of it

Inevitably you're going to cut holes in your tent so tape is your best friend. Make sure your tent is sucking in rather than out, also reduces light leaks in zippers, though gorilla tents arent 100% light proof from my experience. I've been through different configs of the grow room since it behan several years back to dial it in. You want a decent intake and outtake fan system on top. They are as steong as advertised. Mines holding up a 10" Max-Fan and Can CF with the original 2x1000w light setup (since upgraded to LED, its worth the power savings). Tbh the Marhydro "Dark Room" is what is says but very cheap (i wouldnt hang one person from it wheres 3 people could in the gorilla. Alt, how about your own custom build with wood and wood, insulation and hard white plastic?

Inevitably you're going to cut holes in your tent so tape is your best friend. Make sure your tent is sucking in rather than out, also reduces light leaks in zippers, though gorilla tents arent 100% light proof from my experience. I've been through different configs of the grow room since it behan several years back to dial it in. You want a decent intake and outtake fan system on top. They are as steong as advertised. Mines holding up a 10" Max-Fan and Can CF with the original 2x1000w light setup (since upgraded to LED, its worth the power savings). Tbh the Marhydro "Dark Room" is what is says but very cheap (i wouldnt hang one person from it wheres 3 people could in the gorilla. Alt, how about your own custom build with wood and wood, insulation and hard white plastic?
Maybe Mylar sheeting as well?

If its affordable yeah sure
Mylar reflects at 95% i think wher as white plastic is in the 80s%.

When I decided to stop using a cabinet and switch over to a tent for flowering I went to several different grow and hydro shops to see what they were offering. Then one afternoon I invited the wife along and asked her to just consider the stitching along all the seams and especially by any doors or flaps.

I was not worried about light leaks along the zipper or seams. More concerned for whether the thread used would hold up to the regular and often daily use. Plus, after many years she might have to hand stitch if the existing thread starts to break up.

She looked at the tent that I felt was the lowest overall quality in the price range I had come up with. She said it was OK to decent and we went for a quick drive about town and headed home. The next day I bought the tent that was a tad bit stronger with heavier thread and stitching and still in the price range. I am happy that I do not have any problems and she is happy that she does not have to hand stitch any repairs.

For what it is worth we have been married for 51 years and several months and that is probably longer than some of the group from birth.;) @Phytoplankton's comment earlier has some validity.

I decided to tag along with @Savvage61 ’s question to the group. Just want to thank everyone for taking the time to share their experiences.
I’m not looking for the cheapest tent nor am I trying to create a super pro setup in the thousands of dollars.
As a first setup indoors, I would just like something I will be happy with for a few years, and not want to return it when it’s unboxed, learn, experiment and then add and upgrade a few pieces as I go.

Now I’m a bit stuck on whether to invest in a pre packaged complete system or piece together my own with all of the information available to me here in the search tab.
Would I be happier with a 3x3 or a 4x2? 2 bags over the winter would suffice.
So many questions 😅

Back
Top Bottom