Looking for Help Making Tincture

Yeah, I can see you are disappointed, even if the tincture is a liitle bitter, its not the end of the world, medicine is always bitter lol... you could always let a bit more alcohol evaporate off. add some honey to the bottle you are using, I've been thinking about this recipe, and thinking I would like to make it, and make up something like a herbal brew, add honey, rosemary and Lemon, or mint, and end up with a real yummy brew.

So do you have anymore mmj left? I made some herbal cooking oil once I forgot about it and let it sit in the fridge for several months, when I eventually fished the bottle out of the bac of the fridge, I was amazed how stong it smelt. I made some potato bits in the oven, and tipped some of this oil in... wow when they were cooked I got a lovely relaxing high, slept likea baby that night and half the nexted day.

yeah a little bitter either way probably! Its not like the Everclear helps much too but those flavors sound nice. I remember reading about adding flavor but thought that was after straining. I am interested in the taste being easy to handle but havent made plans yet which could be important doing now. Would you use lemon zest snd fresh herbs for a herbal brew? I should really think of this for the look it has green cloudiness a little lighter than the leaf which is dark. I dont have enough to last me until the next harvest is even cut which is becoming common . This tincture would be available by then to try one for the first time.

Vanilla extract (drop-wise) is an option to cover up the brutal grassy flavor that the tincture might have at the end.

When I made my tincture ( the one and only time ) I used 46 grams (dried trim/shake) with a pint of everclear. I believe we let it sit for about a week, can't remember. Anyhow ,after straining it many times, and packing up medical-dropper containers, the job was done.
It was time to test the product. To be honest - it had an unbearable taste if used unadulterated. A heavy grassy flavor that accompanied no stone in my case ( probably tolerance issue ). So I ended up making cocktails with the damn stuff, because I really wanted it to sedate me.

The taste was pretty brutal, so I would definitely advise that you flavor it up with something. Something strong enough to penetrate the alcohol, and I've heard of vanilla extract being used (TO TASTE).

Either way, best of Luck, and I hope it works for you!
:peace::Namaste:

That sounds nice with vanilla also
The taste was pretty brutal, so I would definitely advise that you flavor it up with something. Something strong enough to penetrate the alcohol, and I've heard of vanilla extract being used (TO TASTE)
So I did some research here on tinctures and found something I had read from here already and could be why I was thinking the freezer thoughts.And it backs the brutal taste I basically expect now:thedoubletake:
Its from here Tincture

If Everclear is used the tincture will be pale green to golden. If 151 rum is used an amber tincture results. Dark green tinctures mean that excess plant material is present. This does not mean that the tincture will not be potent, just taste nasty. When Everclear is used, various flavor extracts may be added (vanilla, raspberry, etc.). Be careful to use only a few drop of flavor extract.
Heres todays color :yummy:
0021129.JPG

I will be flavoring not exactly sure how still and think that if this method helps me I should try and use kief and water hash instead for better flavor . Im curious on effects and plan on after straining to test tincture for flavor and strength to help with flavor enhancement amounts and to guess on how much to let evaporate if needed.

About flavouring, Homemade Rosemary Tincture! Recipe - Food.com - 89776 check that recipe out, shake it a bit more often than they say and taste it when your other tincture is ready, or just add some liquid honey when THsea tincture is stained, it will just mean you need to take a little more tincture if it has honey in it.
I added honey to the extract I made with glycerine before I worked out you could make a skin cream out of it, and it covered the taste.
Someone above mentioned vanilla, you could make a tincture using a vanilla bean with Everclear as well. Its the same idea, cut up or bruise herb, just cover with alcohol, put in dark place, shake regularly, taste every now and them until you get the strength you are looking for. The worst that could happen if using alcohol is it would get a bit strong, so you would use less. Or add a bit of honey to taste.

Making your own herbal extracts is easy and fun, no matter what the herb you start with.

Also do try that soaking in boiling water before you decarb, like that video shows it won't hurt the strength of the resulting tincture, butter or whatever.
I was just thinking about decarbing some rosemary or lavendar or whatever herb might try that idea myself.

Tincture tastes worst early on.. The more you let the aromatic stuff get in the alcohol, the better it will counteract the "grassy" flavor. For excessively leafy buds its probably inescapable (save sieving and using that). Its best not to try it before its done. Easier said kind of thing.

So you used seven grams? Thats cool, you will be evaporating a lot of that alcohol away... If you are like me, and need a kick in the arse... Still, a 50mL dropper is supposed to be literally about 50 doses... This is a concentrate.

I doubt I've ever gotten 50 bowls from a quarter.. But I still love to smoke.

Thanks for stopping by THsea ! Upsidedown had helped me showing instructions on this process from your easy to understand recipe post
THsea's Tincture Recipe
I ended up useing 7g decarbed bud and 10g of trim not heated with about a cup and a half everclear. I totolally see your idea of dose ratio from smokeing to tincture on the weight and material I used. i had dreamed to evap half and fill like 3 of those 50ml bottles I have procrastinated on getting yet. Im gueassing like a total 30 tsp maybe 30 doses? That would be 5ml tsp if those numbers work. It would be nice getting what I need with just one ml dose tho. This seems possible reducing to just one bottle maybe. Its my first attempt on a tincture and will be the first use also. I am going to wait 3 weeks before trying. The one thing I just noticed is I am only shaking it now and am not opening it. Its been 9 days now unopened.
Has the alcohol taken most enough of the essence of my herb to start slowly giving breathers and loseing some of it at the same time?
And just wondering about how long would it take to evaporate to half ? 1 1/2 cups to 3/4 cup
Like 12 days to first trial of brew and Im still excited!

If I remember clearly... You want to open it every once and a while... To exchange clean air with what little is in there... I think it said gases get released or some razmataz. Tincture recipes are usually pretty old that you might dig up.. And some methods sound like plain bad ideas.

Not a long open, like half a minute. Then again, its not like it will really go bad... I don't know :)
I've always done it at least every other day before the final strain. Once the plant matter is mostly removed and its evaporated I kind of just consider it a finished product.. ready to store (like it ever lasts long).

Btw... So you used about 17 grams total? I don't really suggest using trim (nausea is my bane, so taste is a factor in my thinking).. But I think it will make fire tincture either way. I'd be willing to bet you will get at least 3x 50ml vials.

Someone mentioned dilution for flavor... If you want to do that, but not alter your tincture contents, simply pour a small amount of some juice or soda ( very small) and put a dropper of the tincture in. You don't want to much fluid in your mouth for sublingual dosing, saliva will build up pretty quick and it makes it awkward. If you do a dropper or two's worth of said juice/ adulterants, it will be very palatable... You took it from 180 proof to 90 proof or less.

All the best buddy, I'll be checking in on your results. Next time though... I'd suggest decarbing the trim, and adding the bud au natural.. If you intend to use the same kind of ingredients next time.

If you are boiling off some of the alcohol later ....... then you'll decard the compounds when you heat up the alcohol.

Cool Thsea I did try it at 2 weeks unstrained and all I felt(within minutes a little silly and then maybe the start of a creeper then nothing) I think it was the alcohol I agree on not using trim next time either It also darkened the tincture with all that green leaf I think. The taste was blocked by the hot everclear on first ml try that I swallowed fast. second ml I keep under tongue till teh burning stopped and drool overloaded The taste on this swallow was nasty. And the effect weak n short yet I had already smoked 1 1/2 hours before. Still Im gonna have to reduce this tincture at least by half to hopefully get what Im needing and to get the hot alcohol out some. I am straining tonight at 3 weeks and will put up some more pics
:peace: Closet

Mutt I see what you say why decarb first if heating last which will do it but Im afraid of heating this tinc and dont have a elec warmer hot plate I do need to get the alcohol out and am gonna try to pour the strained mix in glass baking pan to sit out at room temp with alot of surface area I hope it evaps fast enough, I have no clue on how long. I heard just that eventually it would be an oil and if completely dried a hash. So its not to possible to screw up now just a waitng game. I do hope to get 3 50ml bottles from this exp with not needing more than 5ml doses, Just a dream now we'll see

Indeed. Evaporating the solvent with a hot water bath if possible while swirling ( after strained of course!) would be the ideal scenario, it would run a lot quicker. However you are correct that the volatility of the ethanol is such that it will evaporate in some amount of hours, so you can get your product either way. Just know that an increase in temperature will increase the volatility, and the evaporation rate of the alcohol. So in other words, don't try to evaporate your solvent in cool temperatures - to say the least.

The oil product far surpasses the tincture in psychotropic medical ability, if that is what you are looking for. I myself did not find any therapeutic effect from tincture, and I would rather use the essential oils.

Cheers mate!:peace:

wow The amount evaporated overnight shocked me just at room temp. From 1 and !/4 cup to just under a 1/2 cup. Then I could see some dark black sediment in the liquid that for sure looked like nasty taste so I did think I should run through coffee filter. Now I not so scared with heat and kinda double boiled shortly to heat up so it can run through filter better with any oils to if any.
Heres some pictures.
04759.JPG

04859.JPG

That coffe filter strained out what looks to be not so natural colors from what little material I started with. I wonder what it was? Like black particles. It has me thinking again on what I saw in UpSidedowns threads of a youtube video soaking buds with boiling hot water to clean before even making canabutter. It was very nasty seeing that water thinking what we may be smoking at times.
05144.JPG

After all that evaporated when I heated it alittle I could smell the alcohol still strong. I put about 2 tsp honey and 3 drops vanilla while warm to help taste. 1ml under tongue and still hot alcohol effect not quite so strong tho. 5 minutes hold and 5 minutes wait. Not much effect 1ml again same routine then another. So 3 for now to have a mild mellow feeling light tingle through body Definitely not my nightime feeling sought out. Im gonna try this for first relief in a morning test to for another opinion. Taste is more tolerable now. I dont drink coffee much and it had a somewhat similar taste of cold coffe to me with alot of plant flavor.

Oh my!... Yes, tincture will be hot before evaporated.. Very! Its mostly alcohol...

Its not wise to let it evaporate un-attended... Fine if your making oil with alcohol, but if you do that you do quick washes usually... Not long soaks like Tincture is...

I do think of this as more "day time" medication... I have made tinctures I can sleep on, but... Rarer..
It's better with flowers than trim... And of course, the better tasting flowers... The better the tincture taste.

It took several batches to get the hang of it for me.

Back
Top Bottom