Looking to make basic weed oil and I think I'm overthinking it

CaptWineTeeth

420 Member
I have about four ounces of B-class pot (and some trim) from an outdoor grow this year that I want to convert into a simple cannabis oil. Gun to my head, if I had to estimate its potency I'd say it's likely around 10-11%. I was all prepared to do an RSO and then thin it out with olive or sunflower oil, decarbing at the same time. But now I feel like I may be overthinking this. I'm not looking to use this as medicine. I just want to get high, ideally using this under the tongue. Also, I'm not fussy about the smell or taste of the final product as long as it's not horrible. Sure, a milder less green and weedy oil would be nice, but I prefer to keep the preparation method as simple and easy as possible while maxing out the potency of the final product.

Should I just decarb the bud and then infuse it into oil over heat, or make the RSO and thin it out? Or perhaps do a solvent transfer and mix the solvent with oil and heat to evaporate the solvent? What's my best bet?

Also, I've read in a variety of places that the longer you heat THC the more of it will convert into CBN, which I don't want. I've noticed in the past when I make butter and bake with it I wake up VERY draggy the next day and I've read about people who use CBN for sleep disorders describing exactly what I've experienced. Decarbing it, then heating it again to infuse it into the butter, then heating it a third time while the cookie bakes would seem to be the culprit, no? All the stuff I've read here and elsewhere seems to say that you should decarb and then infuse by heating it for hours and hours. Won't this make CBN? How long do you really need for the THC to infuse into the oil? Also, can you just mix it in cold and let it sit for a week or so, shaking it up everyday kinda like Green Dragon tincture? Will it infuse at low temperatures, only slower?

EDIT: It's worth mentioning that I'd like the oil to be reasonably strong. I'm doing the math and if the herb is 10% (again, just an rough estimate based on how high it gets me when I smoke it) and I start with 30 grams and put it in 500ml of oil, that only gets me to 6mg per ml. I'd like that to be higher, ideally about double, but I have trouble imagining 30 grams of plant material mixing well with only 1 cup of oil. This is why I'm wondering about RSO first.

If you have access to strong ethanol, otherwise isopropyl, you can use that to easily extract what you want out of your decarbed weed. Though you’ll need quite a lot of it. Then render that solution down by evaporation, and you have something you can dilute or mix however you want.

If you have access to strong ethanol, otherwise isopropyl, you can use that to easily extract what you want out of your decarbed weed. Though you’ll need quite a lot of it. Then render that solution down by evaporation, and you have something you can dilute or mix however you want.
So you're suggesting I do an RSO as opposed to just a straight decard -> infusion. Any reason why in particular?

And is it as simple as mixing the RSO into oil while doing a standard 110/110 decarb in the oven?

It was just a suggestion. I’d pre-decarb the weed in the oven first though. Not after.

RSO is just one way of doing it. Makes a small amount of product that you can use in lots of ways. Making it is clean and fast and doesn’t involve running a large pile of oil soaked bud through a strainer and then having to wash everything after.

Yes you can mix it with oil after

Back
Top Bottom