Low budget way to get rid of weed odor

My grow space is 4x4x7 using 1000w hps 4" inlet and 6" exhaust into the bag. My question is "Why wouldn't this work"

Is the bag still working out for you? My veg room out vent has no carbon filter because it's barely necessary but in reality it sometimes gets a bit of stench coming from the flower room next-door and I'm thinking I might try this out. Not much to lose.

Is the bag still working out for you? My veg room out vent has no carbon filter because it's barely necessary but in reality it sometimes gets a bit of stench coming from the flower room next-door and I'm thinking I might try this out. Not much to lose.

I harvested my grow last week. I didn't have any smells going through my house and I dried inside my tent and still no smells even in the next room.

The dust is a Major concern!

There is no dust. Charcoal bags have a liner inside to prevent dust from escaping but it allows the air to get out. You got to think outside the box or either go spend a lot of money on filters and such, try it yourself maybe you will need to do something a little different than me. But this works. Have you ever seen a charcoal bag with dust coming out of it. Even though that bag has traveled hundreds of miles through all kinds of weather and being thrown around. I didn't think so. Give it a try.

There is no dust. Charcoal bags have a liner inside to prevent dust from escaping but it allows the air to get out. You got to think outside the box or either go spend a lot of money on filters and such, try it yourself maybe you will need to do something a little different than me. But this works. Have you ever seen a charcoal bag with dust coming out of it. Even though that bag has traveled hundreds of miles through all kinds of weather and being thrown around. I didn't think so. Give it a try.

Thanks Rillos I'll try it. This is a good vent to experiment with because it's not going to matter that much if it didn't work. I'm not worried enough about it to get a bunch of carbon shipped (by mail) right at the moment. I'm not worried about dust in this situation either -the intake where I'll put my charcoal is a bit isolated with it's own nook and anyway if any dust came out it would get sucked into the fan and from there outside into a jungle of weeds and stuff. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks Rillos I'll try it. This is a good vent to experiment with because it's not going to matter that much if it didn't work. I'm not worried enough about it to get a bunch of carbon shipped (by mail) right at the moment. I'm not worried about dust in this situation either -the intake where I'll put my charcoal is a bit isolated with it's own nook and anyway if any dust came out it would get sucked into the fan and from there outside into a jungle of weeds and stuff. I'll let you know how it works.

What ever your set-up is, I believe you can make this work for any kind of indoor grow. And as far as people comment about dust, I have none and that's all I know. :cool:

My filters are about do for changing, I just bought 75lbs of activated charcoal, but I will be trying this method this bbq season, I can imagine using the charcoal and then cooking in the big green egg with it. Or even in the wood stove in the winter either way the use is two fold. Thanks again

i actually think this is quite a good idea myself. i have not had a real odour problem yet because it is winter here, no neighbours outside,,and, i have had only one little indoor plant flower and smell so far, but more are coming and i know i will need a better solution soon enough. i am going to connect my exhaust pipe to a pipe going to a hole in the ground in my outdoor garden, and fill it with briquets. i guess i will need to keep water away from it,, have to remember that. very ingenious rillos, thanks for sharing,, cheers

I just stumbled upon this thread poking around and I must say, it is a good idea.:thumb:
I'm thinking in a taller than wide kitty liter plastic container, 6" in at the bottom w fan, 2X6" out the top (passive w heap filters for any dust), bag o charcoal inside.... sitting on the floor just scrubbing.

EDIT: but what is worse? more fan noise or slight smell??

i plan on going with this idea in my back yard,, i have to come up with something and i think this will work. i will post back here with info as i progress

I just stumbled upon this thread poking around and I must say, it is a good idea.:thumb:
I'm thinking in a taller than wide kitty liter plastic container, 6" in at the bottom w fan, 2X6" out the top (passive w heap filters for any dust), bag o charcoal inside.... sitting on the floor just scrubbing.

EDIT: but what is worse? more fan noise or slight smell??

The smell is worse. The sound can be worked on. I made a sort of sound baffle/box (in my utility muffin research kitchen lol). Don't have time to explain that right this minute but look it up and you'll find some ideas

This is brilliant!!! Thank you so much for this idea. I would have never thought of it on my own. Just brilliant outside-the-box thinking.

ok, fabulous idea,, idea that is, and the 'idea' is fabulous. but,, is there function to go with that form?? will this idea actually 'work'? i dunno,, however, it is a great idea, and fit my situation perfectly. so i ran with it as i said i would. here is the results in pictures. pretty self explanatory.

setting the scene. my studio/lab/grow,, neighbour to the left, my main concern for odour. hooray for the trees

P1140601.JPG

pit will be in covered, dry area, zero moisture. sorry for the mess

P1140602.JPG

the plastic box there is going to be my 'chamber' where the polluted air will exhaust into, and there is the pipe i will connect to. well, that is the intake pipe actually, exhaust is right beside it, out of view

P1140603.JPG

this is the end of the pipe that will be inside the exhaust chamber. no bigger critters getting in here, for sure. there is also a nylon hosery piece over the pipe end, all taped on,, no little critters getting in either. hopefully some air will be able to get out as well. oh well, that's why it's called 'forced' air...

P1140604.JPG

this is the 'chamber' box, with pipe hole cut

P1140605.JPG

and all connected and in the ground

P1140606.JPG

and backfilled

P1140608.JPG

and briquets installed. more needed still to fill to the top. about 8 inches of briquets for the air to flow through. the chamber is 13x18x8inches deep

P1140609.JPG

now the smell test, which will come with time,, my flowering plants are just coming into odour,, yaay,,

rillos,, many thanks for sharing this great idea,, i have total faith,, cheers pal

As the founder of my imaginary company Redneck INC. growing solutions TM. i find this idea AWESOME ;) did you crush the charcoal up in small fine pieces to increase you surface area to maximize the odor uptake capability in it, or is it fine with those massive pieces? Love the idea and simple solution JUST LOVE IT man :cheer: like a fangirl

And man Nivek you took that idea and you just ran with it. NICE JOB that looks brilliant digged down in the ground and everything. :goodjob: I was breaking my brains for a solution like this for when i had to rebuild the shed into a growroom, actually just like you have done it in the ground but places in my tomato or potato hi bed.. And with his coal idea it have just been perfected. sorry but im gonna hi-jack this from you guys and give my brains a rest for a while ain't much left of it i tell ya ;) but is charcoal actually taking up odor as well as that active carbon you have in ordinary carbon filters? if not im thinking about going by the petshop and check for a big bag of active carbon for changing in the aquarium filters im pretty sure its not that exspensive.

thanks klov,, but i can't answer all your questions yet. i just finished the project, and it needs more charcoal briquets still so i don't even know if it's working, yet. i will need time to properly judge the effectiveness of this idea. but i will surely be updating this post, and on my journal as well,, thanks for the kind words klov

you do give me an idea though, maybe some finer stuff over some landscape fabric at the top. i like it, thanks

Nivek Np i take an idea and i give on back ;) thats only fair. As i have done quite a lot of reseach on all kindda stupid things in life. i know for a fact. If you need to get rid of chemicals in drinking water, if ever lost in nature. its common procedure to clean your water true a tree phased system 1 drain it true a top layer of moss or finde grass 2 let it run true charcoal and 3 run it true sand (and don't forget to boil your water) and in that process it is adviced that you grind up your charcoal the best you can to increase the surface area and this should improve its ability to attract chemicals and other unclean sh*t so it only seems logical that it will be of great benifit in your setup. if you also look at the grain size of active carbon in aqua filters and comepare it with the avtive carbon grains of an airfiltering unit you will see that those in the airfiltering unit is way smaller than those used in the waterfilter. much be the difference in the size og the water and air molecyle or some sh*t but yeah test it out and plz hit me up with your conclutions when you reach it. Best of luck

Best regards the CEO and founder of his own imaginary successfull company Redneck Inc growing solutions TM. :allgood:

thanks klov,, but i can't answer all your questions yet. i juts finished the project, and it needs more charcoal still so i don't even know if it's working yet. i will need time to properly judge the effectiveness of this idea. but i will surely be updating this post, and on my journal as well,, thanks for the kind words klov

you do give me an idea though, maybe some finer stuff over some landscape fabric at the top. i like it, thanks

To answer some of your questions, yes charcoal will and does soak up odors. I'm sure active carbon will do a better job but for the many growers on a budget we can get a few grows out of a 20lb bag and we can always be ready to break out the grill.

Back
Top Bottom