Marijuana & Anti-Depressants

Diva53

420 Member
Hi Everybody,
I've been taking anti-depressants for 30+ years and started smoking weed for depression/anxiety a few years ago. I've heard weed can diminish the effects of ADs. Does anyone here use anti-depressants and weed? Thanks.

Hiya @Diva53 , I don't take anti-depressants but you certainly are in the right place to get good info on this! it will follow soon I promise!

I could see how it could interfere, but the question that popped into my head was how well do you think the addition of cannabis to your medical regimen has helped your symptoms?

I’ve been going through some personal issues lately that cause depression &anxiety. I get an instant lift after two puffs of a joint, but not sure if the ADs are working anymore. I wonder if weed is blocking the effects or if I’ve just been on them too long. (Together Ive been taking Lexapro 12 years & Wellbutrin 5 years.) I’d love to go off them but don’t dare.

I’d love to go off them but don’t dare
Oh I feel you there...

My wife takes celexa or some such thing and just missing one day is a mess. She might not notice it till evening but then she sure does! She's got me begging the pharmacist if the doc messes up the prescription, and they know enough to give her a day or two supply. Been on them forever...I think it's a brutal and even dangerous ween off as well. She doesn't puff though so she's got no other homeopathic remedy, and I know better to make it any of my business to try and interest her lol, it's just there if she wants it. CHeers! :yahoo:

I think it depends on the person. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder I & PTSD in 2007, and again in 2016. I have been on all types of medications. Currently on Vraylar for mood stabilizer and Buspar for anxiety. It probably depends on the dosage you are on too. I remember when I was on higher doses of psych meds it made me throw up all the time when I smoked weed and especially when I drank alcohol. Nowadays the marijuana helps calm me down, makes me happy and not depressed, and helps with anxiety, as well. You should ask your doctor about this, they probably know the effects better. It's always good to ask questions, don't be afraid. Wishing you the best of luck!

There are so many variables my best suggestion is what you think and feel fully about how they are helping you.
Example: If part of you is unsure of a medication it is less likely to be affective. What a dangerous and powerful thing.
Dosing seems to play a role as well. For example: micro dosing, minimum dosing to relief, shell shocking dose.
But now even consumption is complicated. For example: ever start a session before smoking, with intention. Appreciating the plant, thanking your higher self or power or however that looks to you, and impregnating your intention into the bud. Then consuming it.
Anti depressants are interesting. One thing at this point I am sure. They do BLOCK the affects of most psychoactive anything. Anti psychotics obviously even more so. Ever think while on these meds you had a higher tolerance or could use more with less affect ?

I believe that certain strains are better than others for mood adjustment. Onevi can recommend is rare darkness from Rare Dankness. I've shared it with a friend who suffers from depression and he said it makes him happy. It also has the same effect on me. It's a put a smile on your face type of buzz

:ciao: As per my doctor for clinical depression, cannabis can be used with anti-depressants, as long as it does not give you anxiety, as some strains can. It does does not interfere with the meds. My doctor considers it as a valuable tool to help manage my depression on a daily basis. I have been on meds for over 30 years and have smoked for 45 years daily.
Note: I have found White Widow and OG Kush works great with my meds :thumb:
Alcohol is a different story. One drink and you may as well flushed that days meds in the toilet.
Talking about meds... it’s time :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom