Marijuana Watering Tips

Urdedpal

After the seed has been planted and the soil watered well, you don't need to water again for a few days.
The amount of water, and how often to water varies with the size of the pots and plants, and the amount of light.
When plants are small they transpire less, and don't require as frequent watering as when they are larger with more leaves.
When seedlings have just appeared above the ground, you should water very carefully to prevent the force of the water knocking them over.
Water provides the hydrogen necessary for plant growth and also carries the nutrients throughout the plant.
Cannabis plants prefer a regular watering cycle, but should preferably not be watered every day.
Although the theory that the more water a plant is given, the faster it will grow is incorrect, underwatering will slow plant growth.
Although the Cannabis plant loves lots of water, the most common cause of death in homegrown plants is from overwatering them.
A large pot that was saturated before germination may hold enough moisture for the first two to three weeks of growth.
Plant cells are kept rigid by water, and when there is not enough moisture left in the soil, the leaves start wilting and dropping off.
The ideal water for your plants should have a neutral pH and be relatively free of chlorine and other harmful chemicals.
Never allow the soil to become too dry, but never allow it to be constantly wet either.
Your plants will grow better if you water them during the morning hours rather than the evenings.
It is always better to use water at room temperature than warm or cold water, to prevent "shocking" the root system.
Too much chlorine in tap water tends to turn the soil a little acidic, and may have to be balanced by adding some calcium.
If your water supply is high in chemicals, the best solution is to let the water stand in an open container for a few days before use.
Although distilled or boiled water will not be harmful to your plants, it does not contain certain minerals beneficial for good growth.
Plants with a long daily light photoperiod will transpire more and require more frequent watering than plants grown with a shorter light period.
Lightly spray the leaves of your plants to cool them down after a hot day or long light photoperiod.
A wilted plant that has been without moisture for several days can still be saved if watered immediately and thoroughly.
A good sign to water your plants is when the top five or six centimeters of the soil in the pot has dried out completely.
If your plants start losing more leaves than normal, it may be because you are overwatering them.
It is better to use a watering can with a sprinkler top than a one with a solid flow, to prevent soil and root disturbance while watering.
Always water into the pot from above, rather than by filling the tray underneath and letting the plant suck up the water.
Whereas a small plant growing in a big pot will only require weekly watering, a big plant growing in a small pot may require daily watering.
It has been suggested that by limiting the watering during flowering, you can positively influence the potency of the plant.
During flowering, you should check how long after watering your plants start wilting, and then regularly water them one day sooner.
Although Cannabis is a very hardy and adaptable plant and survives quite well in conditions with little moisture, it prefers a regular watering cycle.
Always check the pH of your regular water supply to determine it's long-term effect on the soil and growing plants.
Because some plants grow faster than others, hand watering each pot individually is usually preferable to automatic drip-release systems.
Rain water often contains nitrogen and other elements, which makes it an excellent source of water for indoor marijuana plants.
Cannabis prefers a well-drained soil, so you should not be too concerned if some water runs through the pot and into the tray below.
As indoor marijuana plants do not receive stem strengthening rain and wind, spraying the leaves with water is a good substitute.

I just planted 5 seeds that were germinated and only had the tap root showing, I put them in recycled 32oz cottage cheese containers. How much water is needed until they break through the soil? So far I've only sprayed the pots with a misting spray bottle about 5-6 sprays once a day and this is the second day since planting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I just planted 5 seeds that were germinated and only had the tap root showing, I put them in recycled 32oz cottage cheese containers. How much water is needed until they break through the soil? So far I've only sprayed the pots with a misting spray bottle about 5-6 sprays once a day and this is the second day since planting. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hey shadow, sounds like you are doing it right. :cheer:

Once I plant the germinated seeds into soil I give them a good watering to get the soil nice and wet, I continue the spraying of the top soil for the next 3-4 days until they sprout. Seedlings don't need to be drowned in water, but they do need a consistent wet/damp soil to sprout. Too much water will drown them, for this reason I only water once right when I put the seed in the cup and spray the top soil to make sure the area where the seed was located stays damp :) check on them once a day/every couple days to make sure they don't look bone dry and you should be good :Namaste:

Once the sprout is above ground I start cutting back the water and let the container dry out a lot more in attempts of letting the root zone stretch in search of water.

Different strokes for different folks.
On my present grow I have watered my girls from the bottom only, as an experiment. They have been vegging for 11 or 12 weeks now.
Have not noticed any difference by watering from the bottom only vs. the top.
I put my seeds directly into soil in 3" biodegradable pots, then, when ready into 6" plastic pots, bio pots and all. NO transplant shock this way. Have had very good luck germinating and sprouting this way (90-100%).
For my next grow i have bought 6" bio pots to put the 3" ones into.
Dirt farmers, buy and use a moisture meter, have used one for years. They are less then $10, cheap ass insurance IMHO.
Remember KISS (keep it simple, stupid), best advice i`ve ever been given or gave out.
Remember, it`s a damn weed. Been growing on it`s own for many, many years, before man tried to screw it up.
What ever way you choose....GOOD LUCK. Peace, my friend.

Different strokes for different folks.
On my present grow I have watered my girls from the bottom only, as an experiment. They have been vegging for 11 or 12 weeks now.
Have not noticed any difference by watering from the bottom only vs. the top.
I put my seeds directly into soil in 3" biodegradable pots, then, when ready into 6" plastic pots, bio pots and all. NO transplant shock this way. Have had very good luck germinating and sprouting this way (90-100%).
For my next grow i have bought 6" bio pots to put the 3" ones into.
Dirt farmers, buy and use a moisture meter, have used one for years. They are less then $10, cheap ass insurance IMHO.
Remember KISS (keep it simple, stupid), best advice i`ve ever been given or gave out.
Remember, it`s a damn weed. Been growing on it`s own for many, many years, before man tried to screw it up.
What ever way you choose....GOOD LUCK. Peace, my friend.

Thanks for the tip yooper rex.

Moisture meters rock. I was going to do the first watering since transplant this morning, but a quick check with the meter revealed that, even though they looked and felt dry those big 5 gallon pots were still pretty damp!

Back
Top Bottom