Medical Marijuana Measure Wins Illinois Senate Approval

Ms. RedEye

420 Support
420 Staff
Springfield - The Illinois Senate today voted to approve legislation that would legalize the use of marijuana for medical reasons for some seriously ill patients with a physician's permission.

The 30-28 vote, with one senator voting present, means the measure now goes to the House for consideration in the waning days of the spring session.

"It is not intended to be a stealth legalization," said sponsoring Sen. William Haine (D-Alton), a former Madison County prosecutor. "It is a program that's enacted for the compassionate use by people who have been recommended by a doctor."

Haine said similar legislation has been approved in all 13 states where it was on the ballot, regardless of partisan leanings. In an effort to encourage votes, the legislation would create a program that would last for three years and require renewal.

But Sen. Dale Righter (R-Charleston) said the legislation was loosely drafted and did not require criminal background checks for people who handle marijuana or grow it under license from the state Department of Public Health.

The Senate defeated similar legislation two years ago.

News Hawk: MsRedEye: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Chicago Tribune
Author: Rick Pearson
Copyright: 2009 Chicago Tribune
Website: Medical marijuana measure wins Illinois Senate approval | Clout Street - local political coverage

YES! I got the call from Mr. Dan Linn the Exec. Director of Illinois Norml yesterday and was in tears. My life will drastically change with this legislation passing by offering compassion to the sick and over-prescribed in the name of the ganja gods :thanks:

Although i would love to see this happen, its the humane thing to do. It will not
happen.
The spineless jellyfish we call lawmakers in Illinois are too corrupt to do the
right thing.

So what's next in the process? Who needs to vote to pass the law and make this happen? And when that's done, who's gonna cultivate the goods? And where do I sign up? How's it all work?! Anyone?

What's the criminal background check thing all about? Can you not get a card if you have a felony on your record? Or is that just for caregivers and not patients. Also I think if the felony was 10 years ago or older you're okay.

And damn, a caretaker is only allowed 1 patient? What kind of shit is that? Guess there will be no dispensaries then.

ViCiOsO, you can voice your support here, and here.
The bill itself is here if you care to read it. You can also go to NORML's website, and MPP's website to find out more.

Back
Top Bottom