Minor outdoor issues.nute burn?

mrgreengenes

Hey folks....I have been a longtime stalker in these forums trying to learn from all of your successes and failures. I'm in the process of starting my first indoor grow and will start a journal here in the next few days. First seeds just popped last night - room is hankering for some new lady friends.

But I have a question or two about an outdoor plant that I received from a kind neighbor in July. I planted it in a three gallon container when I first received it mid July because I didn't have a great spot on my property to sink it into the ground. It started the flowering stage a few weeks after I got it (it had been in veg. mode with the neighbor for about 4 weeks - I'm guessing) but I transplanted it with Sunshine Mix #4 and simply watered it without nutes. I have the three FF nutes and at some point decided to try and beef her up. I have been feeding her regularly once a week / week and a half with Tiger Bloom and Big Bloom and the plant has loved it. No issues until this past week.

I bought some ChaChing and added that to the mix last week. I followed the FF chart (as opposed to a chart I had found on these forums) for the last feeding: 2tsp TB, 1 Tbl BB and 1/2tsp ChaChing. I have moved my plant around a bit to keep her in hiding - from full sun on the deck to a greenhouse that gets filtered light. I watered with the nutes on Thursday and left it in the greenhouse. Seemed happy for a few days. On sunday I moved her back to the deck and let her bake in full sun. Container still heavy from the watering last week. But yesterday after returning her to the greenhouse - I noticed the largest leaves were starting to get brown spots and curl under.

So I wonder if anyone can help me identify what may have been the culprit. I have not tested PH accurately but have a tester that provides generic results. I thought I may have burned the plant by placing in direct sun although it was for only 4-5 hours. I didn't protect the black pot and may have stressed the roots? Or nute overload?

I will try and attach pictures so it makes more sense but I'm curious as to what I may have done and what I may need to do.

Cheers,
mr. greengenes

precious1.jpg

precious2.jpg

Somewhat healthy the week before ChaChing.

precious3.jpg

Brown spots.

precious41.jpg

Curling.

precious5.jpg

Buds still looking nice and sugary.

I don't think you should give her so many nutes and possibly not as much water. You added the Chaching to her last week and now shes sick, might have something to do with it. Id just give her plain water for a week and go from there

Thanks folks - I had a feeling the ChaChing was too much for a plant that had lived most of it's life with no nutes. I also had a feeling that I may have overwatered as well. Do I need to wait until the soil dries out a bit more before flushing?

One more silly idea. I have a Secret Jardin tent all set up and ready to go. I have started some seeds in a small closet that I've set up for vegging but that leaves the tent empty. Since my low temps outside here are dropping to 55 I know I could bring it into my tent and have much better control over temps inside and possibly prolong its life and budding stage. Is this a bad idea?

Yeah I did go full strength on the ChaChing. I knew better as well but didn't think that little 1/2 tsp was going to cause so much havoc. Although it seemed fine for three days after feeding it seems to be going downhill fast. Some of my largest fan leaves are 50% brown now - the pic above is from 2 days ago and now looks much nastier. Should I cut off some of the worst looking leaves? Any thoughts on moving the princess inside to the tent? I'm in the NW so humidity is super high as well - even on nice days.

Rough way to learn a nute lesson... isn't it.
IMHO, it will take quite a few days to show all the damage. I don't cut them off because usually the whole plant gets screwed and if I cut all the damge, I'd have no plant. I wait and hope for new growth. Once a good bit of new growth is established, I start cutting off any remaining ugly leaves.
Is this your first burn? If you're not familiar with burning, I'd treat it as a learning experience.
Honestly, your plant will be delayed for a long time and may develop many other problems now that it's somewhat weakened. Be very gentle with her from here on out.
You might need to move her into the tent soon. Depending where in the NW you are, you might start seeing freezing temps soon. Be sure to not lengthen her photo period or she might revert to veg.
Have you flushed her well with clear water? I've used flushing agents in the past to get the nutes out of the soil and away from the roots, but clear water would be fine too.

Cheers!

Tead - thanks for the replies. Really rough but necessary to my green thumb education I suppose. Being that this plant was a gift I have treated it like an experiment knowing I may f-it up. But I have still babied it until the addition of the ChaChing. So yeah - chalking it up to a lesson indeed.

This is my first burn as well. I have read plenty about nute burn but seeing it in action (based on my actions) makes it hit home. The joys of experience. I think I'll move her into the tent tonight to at least provide a little environmental stability. I've moved the plant around a bit and certainly caused a little stress from that. We have exactly 12 hour days right now outside so 12 on 12 off makes sense. Hopefully the stress of moving indoors won't do her in.

Here's a few pics so others can see the damage and maybe learn from my mistakes.
precs10.jpg

precs11.jpg

precs12.jpg

Trichromes looking yummy:
precs13.jpg

precs14.jpg

For sure - but still hopeful and certainly not discouraged. Fingers crossed for something sweet to come off her. Thanks for the welcome as well Tead - Cheers!

Hey mrgreengenes looks good so far. I had similar looking fan leaves and thought it was too many nutes too. There was timed release fert in there and couldnt do too much other than live with it but my girls are about 1 week away from being picked. I will not use MG again. You should get some nice buds off that one! Those trichromes are looking good too. How many weeks into flowering?

Hey Mr GJ's, a few thoughts. In my outdoor gardens I use the FF. At the beginning of the flowering cycle, I begin with several weeks of the recommended feeding program of Open Sezame which helps with the initial flower beginnings. I then use the Beastie Bloom during the mid-flower stage. The ChaChing is used for the completion of the process. All three, even when directions are followed, are very powerful stuff. You have to be ready at any time to flush due to nute burn. In other words, these 3 are not your average Grandma's warm n fuzzy fertilizers.

I suspect your plant may have not been ready for the ChaChing as it is primarily used as a finisher. If your flowers are still in the development stage, it's too early for the CC. The plant is literally being slammed with too much, too soon.

And...When doin the outdoor thing, when you plant in the ground, you have more wiggle room in terms of making mistakes by over-nuting etc. If your doing the container(pots)thing, 1/2 teaspoon of whatever either way can make a huge difference simply because of the size of the pot(s)s being used. Example: A teaspoon of nutes/water into a 3 gal pot will not have near the impact on a plant as it would on a plant in a 1 quart container. IMO, using ChaChing on a potted plant is like killin flies with a bazooka. Absolutely NO room for error. Most nute manufacturers dont break their products down to pot size usage, so a common mistake we make is we follow the bottle/jar directions and our little plant in it's little pot becomes major toast. General rule of thumb in potted plants: Less is more. Start with smaller doses than recommended, then increase as plant adapts and grows larger. Use middle of the road nutes. Your results will be satisfactory, I promise.

Ive always felt the art of moving your plant around to various locations can be a tricky business. IMO, try to find a happy medium area. Youll be able to establish a regular watering/feeding program based on how much sunlight the plant gets during a day after day cycle in the same location...Hope this helps... :peace: peace n good luck MF

Hey mrgreengenes looks good so far. I had similar looking fan leaves and thought it was too many nutes too. There was timed release fert in there and couldnt do too much other than live with it but my girls are about 1 week away from being picked. I will not use MG again. You should get some nice buds off that one! Those trichromes are looking good too. How many weeks into flowering?

Thanks Ray - hoping for the best. Not sure what week into flowering she is. It was a birthday present in July and being an outdoor plant - easer her way into budding. I'd guess 6 weeks (give or take a week). I've heard MG is rotten stuff.

Looking good m8, glad to see ya got a fue sugestions on how to sort your problem out, your cameras a cracker, you've got some great picks there :peace:

Yea... How'd you get those great trich closeup photos? Great job!

Thanks Strain and Tead. I am a camera nut and sometimes pretend to be a photographer in the real world. So my obsession with photography and the bad habit of buying glass for the camera helps with the imagery. I shoot with a Nikon D300 and the lens I used to cozy up to the trichs is a 60mm Micro. You can get within mere inches of your subject for fabulous close-ups. Slow shutter speed and movement are an issue when trying to keep everything tack sharp.

McFred: Thanks for the input as well. In not having kept a good journal I guessed this plant was in the final stages and jumped on ChaChing without thought (obviously). But your bazooka to kill flies makes perfect sense. The FF brochure said 1/4tsp - 1/2tsp and acting like a chef with garlic I thought - what could it hurt 1/2tsp it is. Well now I know. I do think the buds were still in development and could have easily done without ChaChing so soon. And not nearly as much. So less is more will be the mantra for a while.

I did a flush yesterday with straight up H20. I am saving the pennies for an RO filter sometime but went with tap water - pretty clean here in the NW. I also moved her to my tent last night and have her going 12/12. This way I don't need to move her around anymore and can keep temp and humidity under control. Maybe this becomes a grow journal of sorts - starting at week 10 - 11. I'll at least keep you posted on what becomes of the burned baby and post a few pics along the way.

I very much appreciate the imput and advice. It never ceases to amaze me how much people contribute to these forums. Your passion and expertise will allow me to do this right someday. Thanks a million fellas! :peace:

StrainHunter: I've don't have enough posts yet to reply to your message about the camera equip but I'm happy to do that here - so no, I certainly don't mind you asking.

The D300 body is spendy at $1500 +/- but you really don't need that particular Nikon body. Any of the latest digital SLR's are great. We also have a Nikon D40 that takes great pics that I believe paid around $450 for. Here's a D40 + lens for $519 @ Calumet Photo:
Nikon D40 with 18-55mm Lens, Case, Spare Battery, & 2GB Card - NZ0040K50 -
Try B&H Photo as well - or hell, maybe Craigslist.

But the lens is the key. You'll want an all purpose like the 18-55mm in the kit above but the lens I used is specifically for macro work. It's the 60mm Micro - here's a link at Calumet as well:

Nikon AF-S Micro-NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED - NT21165 - 2177

It's $600. There maybe other brands like Tamron, Sigma, etc. that have macro lenses that will fit a Nikon DSLR but you may not save much $. Tamron's 60mm Macro is $569 at Calumet.

Thanks for the compliments - feel free to quiz me if you are ready to pull the trigger on a camera. And I'll keep posting here and there - in hopes I get more than 25 posts soon so I can reply directly. Cheers!

Ok - a few more pics of the trichromes from inside the tent. Easier to keep the plant still inside - but there is some digi-noise. Fun to look at nonetheless.

precs_trichs2.jpg

precs_trichs1.jpg

precs_trichs3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom