Mixed Bag

Leappy

My son gave me a mixed bag of seeds yesterday.. Alice in Wonderland.. White Widow... Durban Poison and a few more, as thrilled as I am with some good seeds, I wish they had seperated and named them :) Is it possible to identify these plants once they are growing, I really wont have a good gow record of a particular strain. Cant wait for next growing season though :) :)

Short answer. Maybe.

If you know what's in the bag, you may be able to tell when it comes time to flower as most strains have characteristics that may show. Mostly in bud structure and color.

Study some grow journals of those strains and you may be able to pick out what is what near harvest. No guarantees

I would say not to sweat it at all.

Here's the thing: Even if you got these in labelled seed packages, from some reputable seed bank, if you ordered more seeds later you probably won't get the same plants or the same end product. That's down to genetic variability and is unavoidable.

When you mention wanting to take a record, I'm guessing the hope would be so that you can track how well it grows from one change from another? For example, you use 3 gallon pots your first time, and you want to see how much more you get in 5 gallon pots.

It sounds like what you really want to work with are clones. Like the term implies, they're genetic copies of the plant they came from, so they will grow exactly the same. Same rate, same yield ( if all things remain the same ) and same end product.

Seeds are for finding the gem, cloning is to keep the gem and polish it.

I would say not to sweat it at all.

Here's the thing: Even if you got these in labelled seed packages, from some reputable seed bank, if you ordered more seeds later you probably won't get the same plants or the same end product. That's down to genetic variability and is unavoidable.

When you mention wanting to take a record, I'm guessing the hope would be so that you can track how well it grows from one change from another? For example, you use 3 gallon pots your first time, and you want to see how much more you get in 5 gallon pots.

It sounds like what you really want to work with are clones. Like the term implies, they're genetic copies of the plant they came from, so they will grow exactly the same. Same rate, same yield ( if all things remain the same ) and same end product.

Seeds are for finding the gem, cloning is to keep the gem and polish it.
Thanks really appreciate the reply. When I refer to record, unfortunately not clones, I am in SA and only growing outdoors so I am not able to take clones and keep them going through our winter, I wouldn't know if it were possible. I really just wanted to know which plants I was growing and keep a pictorial record of them.. :)

Short answer. Maybe.

If you know what's in the bag, you may be able to tell when it comes time to flower as most strains have characteristics that may show. Mostly in bud structure and color.

Study some grow journals of those strains and you may be able to pick out what is what near harvest. No guarantees
Thank you CannaCola.. I guess I will have to do just that :)

Going to be tough. Especially on the first run on sight only. Smoking and other observations and comparisons down the road will make it easier to figure out.

Good for you though. Are they feminized seeds?

The Durban Poison is a landrace sativa. As pure as they get. She should stand out. But, Alice in Wonderland is hybrid, mixed between sativa and indica, but she is a sativa dominate or leaning strain. So, those two could be tough to differentiate.

The White Widow is also a hybrid, but more of an indica dom.... I dunno it's known to be a pretty balanced strain so depends on the geno you get. My experience with that strain is they will stand out as an indica. But,,, she could look all sativa.

I would hope for a indica leaning WW, and then, it's a coin flip on the other two. But, the Durban will only lean one way......

Going to be tough. Especially on the first run on sight only. Smoking and other observations and comparisons down the road will make it easier to figure out.

Good for you though. Are they feminized seeds?

The Durban Poison is a landrace sativa. As pure as they get. She should stand out. But, Alice in Wonderland is hybrid, mixed between sativa and indica, but she is a sativa dominate or leaning strain. So, those two could be tough to differentiate.

The White Widow is also a hybrid, but more of an indica dom.... I dunno it's known to be a pretty balanced strain so depends on the geno you get. My experience with that strain is they will stand out as an indica. But,,, she could look all sativa.

I would hope for a indica leaning WW, and then, it's a coin flip on the other two. But, the Durban will only lean one way......
Thanks MassMedMan.. appreciate the knowledgable reply.. I quess its gonna be fun and I always have you guys.. lots of pics I might get a few of them identified :)

I hate to be the negative one but
If they came from bag seed you might be dealing with Hermie seeds or crossed with something else I have had no luck myself with bag seed but others have last time I wasted 6 months on some geloto that absolutely sucked I cloned it and hoped it would improve but it didn't the crazy part is the plants all looked healthy looked just like the others I seen people growing just the end product sucked
I hope you get lucky and they turn into some fire but the question has to be asked why is there seeds in my marijuana

My son gave me a mixed bag of seeds yesterday.. Alice in Wonderland.. White Widow... Durban Poison and a few more, as thrilled as I am with some good seeds, I wish they had seperated and named them :) Is it possible to identify these plants once they are growing, I really wont have a good gow record of a particular strain. Cant wait for next growing season though :):)
Check this place out StrainSEEK® Strain Identification and Registration - Medicinal Genomics

If they came from bag seed you might be dealing with Hermie seeds or crossed with something else I have had no luck myself with bag seed but others have last time I wasted 6 months on some geloto that absolutely sucked I cloned it and hoped it would improve but it didn't the crazy part is the plants all looked healthy looked just like the others I seen people growing just the end product sucked
I hope you get lucky and they turn into some fire but the question has to be asked why is there seeds in my marijuana
No you've got me worried, was the bag seed from good Cannabis?

Hi Bigjake.. you misunderstand what I meant, the seeds were a collection of seeds he had collected and thrown directly into one packet without naming them individually. Hence my dilemma as to which seed was which :) And yes I understand the "why is there seeds in my marijuana[/QUOTE].. as you say.. hopefully I get lucky :) maybe she was pollinated on purpose.. I am not sure

Thank you :)
No problem, that's awesome about your seeds coming from a reputable source, i have 3 bag seed I'm currently growing they're vigorous and one's for sure a female.. I will be a little disappointed if I end up getting a hermie or bunk weed lol I suppose if I encounter a hermie it just makes room for my sativa who's hoggin the tent already

Yes it was it had that hint of orange flavor to it that's why I didn't quit right away and let the clones grow out
Dang that's a bummer, I guess i'll just have to gamble on them because 2 of them are beasts... I don't even remember the cannabis I got them from I just know it was from good pot cause they're the only seeds I saved, do you have a journal with that grow?

Hi Bigjake.. you misunderstand what I meant, the seeds were a collection of seeds he had collected and thrown directly into one packet without naming them individually. Hence my dilemma as to which seed was which :) And yes I understand the "why is there seeds in my marijuana
.. as you say.. hopefully I get lucky :) maybe she was pollinated on purpose.. I am not sure
[/QUOTE]

Yeah I went through that before I started growing had some lemon grass loved the flavor and the wife saved them for me in the bag of oh this ain't bad let's save them but when I did drop the hammer I was able to pick them out but sadly the 2 that lived was male

No problem, that's awesome about your seeds coming from a reputable source, i have 3 bag seed I'm currently growing they're vigorous and one's for sure a female.. I will be a little disappointed if I end up getting a hermie or bunk weed lol I suppose if I encounter a hermie it just makes room for my sativa who's hoggin the tent already
Thanks Growingasmile.. this bag yes.. but my first grow have had a few dissapointments.. just put up a post..think I got a hermie :( really is a bummer

.. as you say.. hopefully I get lucky :) maybe she was pollinated on purpose.. I am not sure

Yeah I went through that before I started growing had some lemon grass loved the flavor and the wife saved them for me in the bag of oh this ain't bad let's save them but when I did drop the hammer I was able to pick them out but sadly the 2 that lived was male
[/QUOTE]
Oh that must have sucked big time :(

Back
Top Bottom