Mold Resistant Breeds

Is it possible in your growing situation to fly some clear sheet plastic over your plants, even just for flowering? Keeps the rain off.

I lost last years crop to mold. Big Bud fast and it came so quickly I lost the two plants. I have some seeds to choose from and I am looking for any one who has grown them out doors. Skunk#1, critical sour diesel and cotton candy cane. I don't want a repeat of last year.
It's not Any individual Strain that has a propensity to mold out, When grown outside. Every Strain will mold out on an outdoor grow, if it's raining, cold, and foggy. Come mid September and October.

I assume you're talking about Outdoor plants?

These "Feel good harvest numbers" and so called "Mold resistant Strain". That Breeders claim is a really Bullshit estimate of the actual flowering time. I had 5 Barneys Farm plants 5-7 foot tall outdoor in late September. I only was able to harvest Half because of Bud Rot.

It claimed to be "Highly Resistant" too mold, boytritus, and WPM. I say Bullshit Marketing.

Is it possible in your growing situation to fly some clear sheet plastic over your plants, even just for flowering? Keeps the rain off.
It does certainly Help. But from my tries at the same method. I Have found that in Tarps, humidity, just stays under the plastic. Which in turn, Unfortunately creates more moisture, right above the flowers. Airflow is Most Important :volcano-smiley::peace:

I Have found that in Tarps, humidity, just stays under the plastic.

Yes of course. I didn't mean wrap the plant in plastic.

I built a simple tunnel with 1" electrical conduit, bent in an arc over the plants, then pull clear sheet plastic over the hoops, and leave the ends open. Mine is 8x12 and will cover 6 plants. Most importantly, keep them and the ground underneath dry.

I lost last years crop to mold. Big Bud fast and it came so quickly I lost the two plants. I have some seeds to choose from and I am looking for any one who has grown them out doors.
More likely than not the mold and mildew was on the plant long before anyone notices it. The saying is "By the time the molds and mildews are visible they have been there for 4 weeks."

Rain in the fall does not cause the problem but it certainly helps it spread over the plants that are already infected and the higher humidity after a rain becomes part of the problem.

Best thing is to take preventative measures weeks ahead of time. Spraying with some kind of water and vinegar mix reduces the chance of spores starting to grow on the plant. Spray the plant as soon as it starts to dry after a rainfall or the morning dew. If it does not rain or there is no morning dew then spray every couple of days anyway. A layer of mild acid on the surface helps prevent mold/mildew spores from anchoring to the plant.

Check out the link below for a way of making a preventative spray solution using water, a few drop of soap and citric acid that InTheShed is recommending....
https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/thrips.512473/post-5519939

First , there really aren’t any absolutes. Yes, there are strains that are less likely to get mold/rot. Sativas from tropical areas tend to have smaller more airy buds and are less prone to rot. Big dense buds, like many Indica's have, are more prone to rot. But no matter what, given the right conditions you can get rot on any plant.

It's not Any individual Strain that has a propensity to mold out, When grown outside. Every Strain will mold out on an outdoor grow, if it's raining, cold, and foggy. Come mid September and October.

I assume you're talking about Outdoor plants?

These "Feel good harvest numbers" and so called "Mold resistant Strain". That Breeders claim is a really Bullshit estimate of the actual flowering time. I had 5 Barneys Farm plants 5-7 foot tall outdoor in late September. I only was able to harvest Half because of Bud Rot.

It claimed to be "Highly Resistant" too mold, boytritus, and WPM. I say Bullshit Marketing.

Think that in many of these companies, they have practically never planted outdoors; they only test their varieties indoors, and those that do... Their "information" about mold or pests tend to be as much invented as the origin and composition of their varieties.
As for my own experience, it is clear that the more sativa in their structure are the flowers, the more and more they suffer from excess of humidity and mold, up to the point of germinating seeds by humidity directly on the buds without suffering mold.

Yes of course. I didn't mean wrap the plant in plastic.

I built a simple tunnel with 1" electrical conduit, bent in an arc over the plants, then pull clear sheet plastic over the hoops, and leave the ends open. Mine is 8x12 and will cover 6 plants. Most importantly, keep them and the ground underneath dry.
Did this work well Sun? This is the only reason I've been leary of growing outside---but, I want to try it this year(my buds never got dense or tight...was hoping it had something to do with me messing up on the "lighting schedule"....hence is why I'm going to try outside....ANY OTHER TIDBITS of information?

Back
Top Bottom