My fem Auto has balls so is it worth the hassle?

Hey 420,
Okay in my veg room 18/6 I'm running 8 photos and 3 autos..all were grown from fem seeds however on the Lemon og haze today
(3-4 weeks old roughly) i decided to check for pistils after the first lst and i noticed some nuts instead..(not a fem auto then).
Normally I'd dump any sight of a male but my question is will the pollen from the male auto worth the hassle? or bin the lil sucker??
I can take it to another location to finish out for pollen but only if it's going to be helpful...
Any advice gratefully received.. :ganjamon:

It's a plus if: It's a stable male (as opposed to a hermaphrodite). You intend to grow more autoflowering plants. The characteristics of the strain/phenotype aren't sh!t. You actually like those characteristics. You have some home of keeping it sequestered from your female plants.

There may be some wiggle room in the above, but that depends on you. I recommend against willingly breeding with a plant that might be genetically prone to producing opposite-sex flowers. But it might be worth collecting pollen from a parent even if you do not care overmuch for the strain (or that specific phenotype) if it brings something that you value to the table. At the very least, since the autoflowering gene is recessive, you know that any seeds produced from autoflowering plants that you use its pollen on will, themselves, become autoflowering plants. If you cannot guarantee that the neither the air currents in the building, you, other people, and/or the pets (and non-pet animals such as rodents, if there are any dwelling in that building) will end up moving pollen from it to one or more female plants, it might still be worth keeping if you do not mind the thought of finding anywhere from a few to several thousand seeds in your buds. Et cetera.

Pollen can be collected and stored if it is kept dry and cold (e.g., freezer), so it need not be used immediately.

It's a plus if: It's a stable male (as opposed to a hermaphrodite). You intend to grow more autoflowering plants. The characteristics of the strain/phenotype aren't sh!t. You actually like those characteristics. You have some home of keeping it sequestered from your female plants.

There may be some wiggle room in the above, but that depends on you. I recommend against willingly breeding with a plant that might be genetically prone to producing opposite-sex flowers. But it might be worth collecting pollen from a parent even if you do not care overmuch for the strain (or that specific phenotype) if it brings something that you value to the table. At the very least, since the autoflowering gene is recessive, you know that any seeds produced from autoflowering plants that you use its pollen on will, themselves, become autoflowering plants. If you cannot guarantee that the neither the air currents in the building, you, other people, and/or the pets (and non-pet animals such as rodents, if there are any dwelling in that building) will end up moving pollen from it to one or more female plants, it might still be worth keeping if you do not mind the thought of finding anywhere from a few to several thousand seeds in your buds. Et cetera.

Pollen can be collected and stored if it is kept dry and cold (e.g., freezer), so it need not be used immediately.
Hey @TorturedSoul .. thanks for the highly detailed reply.
I'm new to auto flowers and i do plan on growing more as I've been running photo's only since i started.
I hate the thought of pollen near any of my girls so i can take it to a mates place to finish and gather pollen there which I'll probably do tomorrow.
Q: If i sprayed the plant with colloidal silver spray does that make the pollen fem? and then in turn auto fem pollen when used on a fem auto will then produce crossed fem auto seeds?
I definitely dont want seeded weed and thats why i normally throw them away

I hate the thought of pollen near any of my girls so i can take it to a mates place to finish and gather pollen

That's probably not a bad idea. Assuming that friend already knows you are growing cannabis, of course. Which might not, itself, be the best thing in the world, lol, but that's a judgment call that is yours to make. It doesn't take a huge amount of resources to get some pollen, so it shouldn't cost very much even if the friend doesn't have an indoor gardening setup.

If you have questions about the process, ask and someone will post some advice, links to threads, or both.

Q: If i sprayed the plant with colloidal silver spray does that make the pollen fem?

If the plant is 100% female then, yes, any pollen produced as a result of extreme stress or chemical intervention will be "feminized" pollen.

and then in turn auto fem pollen when used on a fem auto will then produce crossed fem auto seeds?

Yes. Autoflower x Autoflower = Autoflower.

:theband:
Awesome @TorturedSoul you've been a huge help and I'm really grateful.
My mate is the only one who knows i grow, hes been growing just as long thankfully and he also has a huge farm with two separate grow rooms with nothing currently running.
He's all to happy to let me use his room which has a 400w hps so it's off to his place tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your assistance
:ganjamon:

That's some interesting info. Gotta bookmark this. If I ever run into this issue I have something to refer back to. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom