My plant is having major issues, what can I do?

ReefKief

420 Member
Hello everyone! It's my first time growing and things went bad really quickly for my plant. I'm just wondering if she can still recover or if I should start from scratch.

My plant has had some weird problems since the day it sprouted. The first few sets of leaves were all deformed and weird looking but she was still growing at a good pace (As shown on my last post on here). Also, I feel like the leaves have always been light green with some lighter spots at some places (it didn't look like burning though).

Because of the light green color of the plant, I made a very, very dumb mistake by adding a very small amount of organic liquid tomato fertilizer (3-1-5) when she was one and a half weeks old, thinking it might have been some kind of deficiency. This was especially dumb since I knew that the soil should already have enough nutrients for the first few weeks.

Anyways, exactly one week later, my plant started showing slightly burnt tips on the second set of leaves. I instantly thought that it could only be nutrient burn because of the fertilizer I added, so I decided to flush the plant the same day with about 1 time the pot's capacity. The next few days the burning on the leaves got worse and it started spreading to other leaves. The leaves also started drooping a little, possibly because of overwatering/flushing? During this time I didn't water anymore and let the soil dry up. The drooping got better but the leaf burning got worse. After letting the soil dry I decided to flush the plant again, since the the leaf burn didn't stop. This time I flushed using about 4 time the pot's capacity. Both times I let the water run off properly and I stopped watering for a while to let the soil dry. I also poked some holes into the soil to let it dry out a little faster. (I didn't break any roots)

Now, 3 days later after the second flush I'm wondering if should give up on her and start over again. She's still growing the next set of leaves, but the burning on the leaves is getting really bad. Is the burning still from the fertilizer or maybe from overwatering too? Maybe something else? Is there anything I can do the help her recover or should I just water less and wait it out? I know for sure that the main issue was that I was caring way too much about my plant lol. Let me know what you guys think.
  • Plant: Vision Seeds Gorilla Auto Feminized (3 weeks from sprouting)
  • Grow space: 60x60x120cm grow box built from plywood
  • Grow medium: Organic soil for vegetable growing with a little perlite
  • Light: This light from AliExpress with white full spectrum LED's. It should pull about 110 watts and it's hanging about 40cm over the seedling. The light schedule is 18/6.
  • Pot: A generic 10L plastic pot with holes in the bottom
  • Ventilation: A 20cm oscillating fan on the inside and two 120mm PC fans as exhaust (with a homemade carbon filter)
  • Temperature: 21- 22°C with light off and 23-26°C with light on
  • Relative humidity: 35-50%.
IMG_20210512_154613.jpg
IMG_20210512_200029.jpg

I think your problem is probably that soil. If you can't replace it, at least add a lot more perlite. But ... when you fix the soil problem, you're almost certainly going to have a light problem. That little thing might get you thru veg ok.. maybe. But it won't do for flower, in my opinion.

Severely stunted autoflower.
Ordinarily i would bring on McCoy for a final diagnosis but you could theoretically piss on it and have it come back to life.
But personally I would start another one and use different soil
Alright I'll try to get some new soil and a new pot tomorrow to start over with a new seed. I'll leave her under the light to see if she still makes it though.

I think your problem is probably that soil. If you can't replace it, at least add a lot more perlite. But ... when you fix the soil problem, you're almost certainly going to have a light problem. That little thing might get you thru veg ok.. maybe. But it won't do for flower, in my opinion.
Thanks for the advice. I'll get some new soil with more perlite for my next grow then. As for the light, it outputs about 5000 lux at a distance of 50cm and about 10000 lux at about 30cm. Do you think that will be enough? The grow space is quite small and it's only for one plant.

Autoflowers are very touchy, any stress can stunt them and usually once they're stunted thats pretty much it 99% of the time
Good to know. I thought that strain was easy to grow for beginners but I still messed it up somehow lol. I gotta learn from my mistakes I guess

Thanks for the advice. I'll get some new soil with more perlite for my next grow then. As for the light, it outputs about 5000 lux at a distance of 50cm and about 10000 lux at about 30cm. Do you think that will be enough? The grow space is quite small and it's only for one plant.
I'd be lying if I said I know a single thing about lux and/or how it translates into Par. What I do know tho, is that if that light only pulls 110w from the wall it is not powerful enough. To make it worse, it probably loses some of that power to heat. That light would be fine for small houseplants or lettuce I think, you're just not going to build giant cannabis flowers with it.

I'd be lying if I said I know a single thing about lux and/or how it translates into Par. What I do know tho, is that if that light only pulls 110w from the wall it is not powerful enough. To make it worse, it probably loses some of that power to heat. That light would be fine for small houseplants or lettuce I think, you're just not going to build giant cannabis flowers with it.
I see... I'll have to try it at least. I'm still learning and experimenting. I'm sure I'll get better equipment as I get more experience. Thanks for the advice though

Back
Top Bottom