Mylar, white paint, or foil

FreddyDeeb

I have gotten differing opinions from everyone I've asked. Most have told me that flat white paint reflects light better than anything else. Some have said that mylar is the way to go. And a few of my friends say that foil is just as good, but make sure you leave the dull side up because it reflects better??? I've already got the main perimeter of my grow room "aluminized" from a previous grow, with the shiny part showing. I cut the grow room nearly in half(it was 12'x9', now a conservative 7'x7') by hanging a shower curtain from the beams in the ceiling, but I don't know if I should spraypaint it white, or cover it with mylar or foil. And would someone clarify if it is better to have the aluminum foil dull side showing or the obvious shiny side showing....

I'm using one of those emergency blankets now and they're not great, but they do the trick. There's tiny holes in the blanket from the way it's folded, which doesn't reflect anything. Also, it's super thin and easy to tear. Those folds can also create hotspots, but if you tape it tight enough you'll be fine.

I'm pretty sure mylar has the best reflectivity though. Flat white is close behind.

Foil is bad, it creates hot spots in the room. Mylar or white paint is the way to go. They are both good.

I think tin foil would be fine and not create hot spots if u could keep it smooth.If were to use a roller and glue it to flat surface say piece of paneling.Roll out excess glue till its nice and smooth.Let dry.Elmers glue would work fine.Then use the panel u made for reflectors.Or am I thinking to hard here,I just did smoke some real good wheel chair weed.Chime in on any thoughts,Thanks

Thanks andy. I was going with 100' mylar at the hydro store, but I spent too much on the light and had to put it back. I've already got the entire outer shell of the room covered in foil from a grow a year or so ago. Pretty sure they have both at HTG, so I just have to build up a bit of cash, make the trip, and then decide which way to go.

Wouldn't it be the case that the smoother the foil, the more hotspots would be created? Mirrors are bad horticulture reflectors because they create hotspots with a specular reflection of the light. I would assume flat white paint's total diffusion of light is what makes it desirable.
So my point/ question is: wouldn't making the foil surface more creased and crumpled (before installing) give it higher marks in the growroom? Mylar has more specular reflection than white paint (distorted reflections), but I assume its material has a higher reflection rate per lumen, which makes up for the limited diffusion/ diffraction of light waves.

i think your on to something, or on something, lol.... ya its like the reflective hood my buddies has with a million little dimples in it.........causing the diffusion of the light?

Diffusing the light all angles seems best to me. I was going to ask the question "is crumpled mylar better than smooth?" It appears we all have different viewpoints on this so I think go with what you think is best and you will be happy. Personally I use mylar and flat white paint and believe they work great.

I have gotten differing opinions from everyone I've asked. Most have told me that flat white paint reflects light better than anything else. Some have said that mylar is the way to go. And a few of my friends say that foil is just as good, but make sure you leave the dull side up because it reflects better??? I've already got the main perimeter of my grow room "aluminized" from a previous grow, with the shiny part showing. I cut the grow room nearly in half(it was 12'x9', now a conservative 7'x7') by hanging a shower curtain from the beams in the ceiling, but I don't know if I should spray paint it white, or cover it with mylar or foil. And would someone clarify if it is better to have the aluminum foil dull side showing or the obvious shiny side showing....

I think the dull side of the foil diffuses light better and creates a more evenly distributed reflection. The shiny side would focus the reflection creating potential hotspots. Flat white paint is used instead of glossy shiny white for that reason.Fans blowing in the grow room should make the Mylar or foil move which is great, problem solved. Don't worry about hotspots if the reflective material is moving. So the shiny side of aluminum would probably be better as long as it was moving.

Back
Top Bottom