20150913_115927.jpg
20150913_115902.jpg
20150913_115819.jpg
20150913_115939.jpg
20150913_115953.jpg
20150913_115724.jpg
20150913_120011.jpg
20150913_120007.jpg

So I've been growing these for about three weeks now. I started to notice my leaves started to drop and now they are starting to turn yellow. These are just bag seeds i wanted to test out before i ordered seeds from seed bank.The temperature has been between 80-90 i know its a little high but its an upstairs closet grow without any central ac so all i got is window ac running as best as possible. Currently i have two 7800k,one 4100k and one 2700k cfls. i started with a walmart potting mix soil but recently used fox farm potting soil. i have one small fan blowing out and one big fan blowing directly on them. i started with spring water which was a terrible mistake and have been using distilled water lately. At first i was thinking over watering issue but now im thinking nute burn or nitrogen defficiency. if anyone has any idea what it could be and maybe what i could do to help save them i would greatly appreciate it. if you need more info or need more pics let me know and ill try to post as soon as possible. thanks again.

I'm not the expert. I'm sure someone will chime in and I hope by posting something, you'll get that aid.

I grow at those same temps, mostly. it raises havoc, even with hybrids which are advertised to thrive at those temps.

I've used those hydroton balls before and they do tend to allow for more roots in the upper 1/3 of the container, but if your ambient RH is high to begin with, you can promote root rot. the soil the plant is growing in needs to dry out between waterings.

IMHO, your containers are far too large for the seedlings. I think most would tell you that they need time to develop a good root ball before going into the size of pot you are using. the major issue comes from over watering.

the yellowing and loss of those single frond bottom leaves is normal and expected. the upper leaves look fine to me.

now let the real experts chime in.

good luck!

No way you have a N deficiency already I wouldn't think. Especially with the FF in the mix. You shouldn't be hurting for nutrients at all yet. If those are 3 weeks old they sure need help. Soil looks really wet first of all. Leaves say the same. At that size I think they live off themselves and don't need any nutrition from outside sources yet.
I would say it's way to wet, way too hot and get that big fan that's blowing directly on them off of them. If they are in a full on wind storm I don't think they will grow. Just a slight breeze over them should be more than sufficient. CFL's just a few inches away from them is what I would do. Maybe pick up a pack of 6500K CFL's for your veg.
Does the walmart soil have time released nutes?
Did you add 15-20% perlite to the soil mix? $4 almost literally priceless
If you got the soil really wet you may have created a ph issue too.
Just because you are using distilled don't mean the ph is where it needs to be. You will find distilled anywhere from 6.0-7.0.
If you got the soil soggy and don't have a bunch of perlite added and your distilled happened to be on the 6.0 end of the scale I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your soil is in the 5's and then that would mean you could be seeing lockout already. Even though the FF is buffered well it can be ruined believe me. Theres lots of peat in there that likes to go acidic. I would like to see the runoff ph.
I'm a newb but theres my .02
Keep me posted, I'm curious to see what happens here. For 3 weeks you should have much much more growth. Those look like 3 days out from breaking soil. They definitely need help. Save em! lol

I agree that it's probably a combination of overwatering, along with the rich soil. Those little seedlings barely use any water- so the trick is to put them into evenly moist soil and then leave them alone for quite a while. The pots will dry more from evaporation than from the plant drinking. They won't need watering for a long time, then it's a matter of babying them along without overwatering. Sprinkling the soil- lightly watering the edges, soaking up a little from the bottom, whatever it takes. In my veg room I find I don't usually have to water for the first couple weeks.
I don't have FoxFarm soil where I live but I see that people regularly have nute burn issues with some of their mixes.
A couple options would be to
- ride it out and hope for the best depending on how things look, or
- transplant into better conditions.

Thanks. I did mix like 10%of the hydroton balls in with the fox farm soil before putting them in those containers. the only reason i put them in those is because i used some clear solo cups to seed them in and i didnt wan to wait to long and burn the roots but i did think it was too soon.

Did buy the perlite for like $4 like you said thanks fan leaf. i will definetly start mixing it in. Unfortunetly for the ph reading all i got is the roll of paper that changes color that a buddy gave me will be investing in a better one pretty soon(spent all of this months budget already) but i will be doing everything to save and ill keep you posted. This is like the 5th day ive gone without watering so am hoping to see some results soon in the next few days. But thank you all fo the great advice!

You can pick up a ph pen on amazon for $18 after shipping i realize you don't have the funds right now but something to think about

The ph test drops work pretty well too. The way they work is you take a small sample of the solution to be tested, put a couple drops of the stuff in, and the solution changes color according to the ph, after which you can compare the color to a scale on the bottle to get the number. They make a good backup to have around when your ph pen stops working.

Back
Top Bottom