Need help with soil

guitron1988

Hey there , I was wondering if any one can help me out .
I need to go buy some soil im a newbie at this first time ever grow and i have my clone already i was wondering what would be the best soil mix i could buy from home depot or lows or walmart or what ever.

Im going to be growing in a 18"wide x 19 3/8 " tall with cfls
grow box just for veg stage

starting on a bigger box tomaro

12/12 all the way into flowering

then go 24/7

any help would be nice, if you could get some pictures of the product that be awesome
:thanks: :bong:

Hey there , I was wondering if any one can help me out .
I need to go buy some soil im a newbie at this first time ever grow and i have my clone already i was wondering what would be the best soil mix i could buy from home depot or lows or walmart or what ever.

Im going to be growing in a 18"wide x 19 3/8 " tall with cfls
grow box just for veg stage

starting on a bigger box tomaro

12/12 all the way into flowering

then go 24/7

any help would be nice, if you could get some pictures of the product that be awesome
:thanks: :bong:

hard to say. Each Homedepot lowes etc carried slightly different mixes.

Stay away from any soil that contains "extended release" ferts.I think MG Organic is ok if you have to go with it. You want it to be light and airy so it drains well as well has hold a bit of moisture.

sphagnum peet / lime/ perlite/ worm castings / vermiculite / and "finely" composted bark mulch makes for a good mix if it does not have the extended release chemical ferts in it.

what would be the best soil mix i could buy from home depot or lows or walmart or what ever.
Get MG Canadian Sphagnum (enriched with starter nutes) and avoid all of the MG potting and organic. Those all contain time released ferts.

You'll need MG perlite as well

Wal-mart has been selling worm castings. You'll have to check where you live to see if they have it in stock.

Lowes/Home Depot sells Espoma dolomite lime but it's pelletized so you'll need to grind it up. I use an old coffee grinder.

I like to mix at approximately these ratios..

50% MG Canadian Sphagnum
25% Worm Castings
25% Perlite
2 tbls of powdered dolomite lime per gallon of mix.

If you can't get worm castings, you can just use 70% Sphagnum and 30% perlite /w lime added. It would be much better with the worm castings. Even without them, this mix would be better than any MG potting soil with time released nutes.

I believe Scott's also sells small bags of "Starter" mix that already contains Sphagnum/perlite and has no time released nutes, so that may be an option as well.

Good luck!!

:peace:

Harry

Get MG Canadian Sphagnum (enriched with starter nutes) and avoid all of the MG potting and organic. Those all contain time released ferts.

You'll need MG perlite as well

Wal-mart has been selling worm castings. You'll have to check where you live to see if they have it in stock.

Lowes/Home Depot sells Espoma dolomite lime but it's pelletized so you'll need to grind it up. I use an old coffee grinder.

I like to mix at approximately these ratios..

50% MG Canadian Sphagnum
25% Worm Castings
25% Perlite
2 tbls of powdered dolomite lime per gallon of mix.

If you can't get worm castings, you can just use 70% Sphagnum and 30% perlite /w lime added. It would be much better with the worm castings. Even without them, this mix would be better than any MG potting soil with time released nutes.

I believe Scott's also sells small bags of "Starter" mix that already contains Sphagnum/perlite and has no time released nutes, so that may be an option as well.

Good luck!!

Harry

I dont kno any thing about mixing and im on a low budget trieng to save as much $ as i can i started up a grow jurnal u can fallow and help me out if you would like links in my signature :thanks:

Well, I thought there was a hydro store on every corner out there in Cali. :grinjoint:

You could just go to one of those and grab some Fox Farm's Ocean Forest and you'll be all set. ;)

Otherwise..

I understand being on a budget. ;) The items I suggested can be purchased at the aforementioned locations for less than $20.

MG "Seed Starting" is a mix of spagnum and perlite, with a small amount of starter nutes mixed in. The cost is around $4.00 for an 8qt bag.

8Quart SEED STARTER by Scotts Organics - More Potting soil and peat moss at doitbest.com

I think it needs a little xtra perlite ($4.00 a bag), as cannabis likes a loose, easy draining grow medium, but you could get by without it, in a pinch. I think you get more bang for the buck with the MG Canadian Sphagnum in the larger bags, then mix in the MG Perlite yourself. The MG Canadian has a larger dose of starting nutes (but not too much), which is nice when you transplant later on down the road.

No matter which medium you choose, you're gonna needs some vegging and flowering nutes so plan for that in your budget. Also, some way to test and adjust the PH is very, very helpful. :smokin:

There is going to be a minimum investment for getting good results. You need the correct grow medium, nutes and lights, at the minimum.

I'll follow along with your grow journal and help when I can, as I'm sure members here will as well.

Good luck!!

Harry

This is what i got so far
lil_one.jpg

bought a MG moisture control potting mix hopefully this will do
Sorry to hear that, man. All we can do is offer advice. Whether you choose to follow it is up to you.

About all you can do with that soil, which contains time released nutes, is water with PH balanced water and hope for the best.

Good luck!!

Harry

guitron, did you say that you were going to go 12/12 up until flower, and then go 24/7? i'm sorry if i'm just correcting a typo, but the plant won't flower if you do it that way. you can go 12/12 all the way through, but the plant has to be in 12/12 to flower (unless its an autoflowering plant). some people go 24/7 until flower, and then go 12/12. sorry if it was a typo and i just sound stupid!!

sorry to jump in on your thread guitron...but im a newbie also and with the mix harry red said to use with the mg canadian sphagnum, perlite, worm castings, and lime would bone meal and blood meal be good to add also?

If any one has any questions about growing in soil you would be insulting and down right STUPID not to listen to harry just look at the grow journals PROOF IS IN THE PUDDIN GO HERRY HOPE YOU WIN MEMBER OF THE MONTH

Harry red i heard your pretty good with growing so i had a question for you, I have started my grow and its about 3 days but my ? was if you knew of any nutrients that i could buy at my local stores for ex wal mart, home dept etc.. as well as to when to start using nutrients im new to this and i hope you can help thank you

Back
Top Bottom