New Grow Please Help! Jrod94's Coco Coir Unknown Strain Grow, 2019

Jrod94

420 Member
Hi everyone! Before I get started I just wanted to let you all know that I'm new to the website and this is actually my first grow.. Kinda nervous about it to be honest.. But hey! It's going good so far i think..

Here's an update on everything that I have setup for my mystery plant! (More on that later).

My current setup:
Current strain remains a mystery..

I have just one plant right now but she is in Veg and has been for about 3-4 weeks.

I am growing indoors in my closet. I have a HydroCrush mylar lined tent that is 4x4x6.5ft tall. Should be enough?

I am currently growing in a coco coir/perlite mix about 60/40 in a 7 gal. Smart pot, using general hydroponics nutrients grow/flora/micro trio with floralicious plus as an additive.

The light I am currently using is a 400w mh/hps light, but I am using the mh light right now for Veg. On a dimmable ballast, I have a 4"exhaust vent coming from my light outside my tent to a 354cfm 3 speed inline fan blowing out of a 12" carbon filter. Do I need that yet??

Current temp/humidity: 75 degrees and about 55% RH. I have been striving to keep the ph of my water between 5.5-6.5 but am having troubles with runoff ph.

OKAYY! now that you are up to date I will give a little background as to how this all came about, and as to why my current plant is a mystery plant!! I got this plant about 3 weeks ago from a buddy of mine who is a fellow connesuier. I'm guessing it was some bagseed that made it's way to the front of his garage and started growing!! I was planning on taking this adventure at some point and when we found the plant it just kind of kicked everythig into gear! I dug the plant up and took it home and started caring for it! I am so excited to see what this little guy is gonna grow up to be!! I hope you all will enjoy this as much as I do

Here are some current pictures. I don't have very many at this point but I promise to take LOADS more throughout this whole process.

20190617_140839.jpg

This is about a week after I got the plant. I transplanted it the day after recieving it which I believe was June 14th. It wasn't in very good shape when I got it.. it had a horrible case of gnats and all the fan leaves were yellow and dying. I defoliated the plant alot, probably almost too much, to get rid of gnats. Little pinheaded bastards.. I had previously topped the plant before I had decided to take it home. I knew height was going to be a restricting factor so best take action while i could is what I thought. But I ended up super cropping also to make a more even canopy for my light to penetrate.

20190707_091858.jpg

This is the same plant, as of yesterday evening. You can see in the picture where I supercropped and it's a huge ball! Is that normal?? The plant doesn't seem bothered by it, but I have never seen a plant swell up like that after bending it.. it's been about 3 weeks and the plant is about 15 inches tall. I've just been tying down all of the side branches as they come up because I don't want anything in the shadow. I've read that this is called Lst (Low Stress Training) and that it works pretty well for maintaining the height of your plant and it's worked pretty well for me so far. Any advice on things I could be doing differently? I'm on a 24 hour light schedule right now and I know I'm going to have to switch at some point to put the plant in flower. I water about every 3 days if the temp stays around 75. Uhhm I have only defoliated once since getting the plant any ideas on how to go about pruning? I have so many questions you guys it's crazy and I would love to hear from all of you. About anything and everything!

20190710_135628.jpg
this last one is a picture of some items I recently bought that are for possibly another tent?! Yeah. I've read about a perpetual harvest and am thinking about dabbling around maybe. I need as much information as you guys can give me about this subject as I have only lightly read up online about all of this. I have ALOT more research to do and I'm sure you guys will be hearing about it in my future posts. That's about it for this one. I just really wanted to give you guys an idea of where I'm at with everything and also a preview of what's to come. All comments will be answered as soon as possible so don't be afraid to let me know what's on the tip of your tongue! I will post again as soon as I have made some progress(and taken more pictures). Thanks again!

Welcome to 420 magazine. I would just keep her low as possible man super crop /tie her down.

Off to a great start !! :420::ciao:

Welcome aboard

Let's see....they look pretty good so far

Coco needs water and nutes daily since there is no way for it to retain any nutes in it
Run 1/4 strength nutes daily till runnoff

How far away is yer light

@Chris thanks!! I did not know you could water everyday with coco coir. I always figured the old finger in the soil trick was how you determined when to water. But I will give it a try! My light is about 2 ft above the top of my plant. I had the light closer but didn't want to worry about burning the plants as I am on a 24hr light schedule. I run nutes about half strength now and she seems to be starting to get a claw like appearance on some of her leaves. Nutrient deficiency? Or toxicity?

Coco is a bit strange, I'm trying it for the 1st time, but been growing for awhile..

Problem with Coco it retains no nutes in it, thus daily watering

Cut yer nutes to 1/4 strength and water to runnoff daily

Light distance sounds good but I'd go 20/4 . They like a dark cycle for sure. I run 18/6 myself

Coco is a bit strange, I'm trying it for the 1st time, but been growing for awhile..

Problem with Coco it retains no nutes in it, thus daily watering

Cut yer nutes to 1/4 strength and water to runnoff daily

Light distance sounds good but I'd go 20/4 . They like a dark cycle for sure. I run 18/6 myself
Yeah it is kinda weird using something inert for a growing medium. So you water with 1/4 strength nutes every day and have had success with it? And I've been thinking about putting them on an 18/6 schedule. I just don't know about my dark temps what should they be? I know it will be cooler but how much is okay for them? I appreciate the help!

With temps..what ya gunna do in flower....

If that's an issue, do the dark durring the day to keep it warmer

The norm is water daily with 1/4 nutes...and in flower 2x a day

Mine are doing well but was giving a bit much nutes, think too much calmag, but growing great
I usually do DWC or Hempy, but wanted to try Coco

With temps..what ya gunna do in flower....

If that's an issue, do the dark durring the day to keep it warmer

The norm is water daily with 1/4 nutes...and in flower 2x a day

Mine are doing well but was giving a bit much nutes, think too much calmag, but growing great
I usually do DWC or Hempy, but wanted to try Coco
True. That would help alot. I'll have to try it and give an update with the results. And that's what I was scared of watering everyday is giving too much nutes but I'm sure I can figure it out. Made it this far lol. Thanks so much for the info!

Back
Top Bottom