New Grower: First Journal For Sativa Dominant Jack Herer Hybrid

Now with a few months under my belt I have arrived at a place I have some real experience with lights and lighting. I wanted to do this on a budget so I started with Amazon specials for two CannaLights at an advertised 1000W. These lights were my first, I paid about $90 each and the first two sprouted my seeds and helped grow my first set up clones. As soon as I had a flowering room I upgraded to a Vander 2000w ($120) with two Philzon 2000W ($189 each). Last I bought a 1000W Mars Hydro. Here's my observations about the lights so far. I also added a Bloomspect 1500W that also lives in my flowering room with my slightly more powerful lights.
  1. Cannalights 1000W: These lights introduced me to the bloom switch which increases the amount of red light during flowering. I have found it's best just to leave the red light switch on all the time. I now use these lights inside my 24x48x60 grow tent and I have been surprised how cool they run. They really are perfect lights for small grow spaces and having two inside a small tent has allowed me to grow super healthy and bushy girls from clones. They daisy chain (I was surprised the Philzon did not have this feature as it's REALLY helpful when using a lot of lighting). This light is also fairly quiet, on the same level as any led light with high speed fans, but the quantum board and smd chips don't put off nearly as much heat as the older models and cover a wider area rather than focus the light so you get more coverage at closer range. Amazing if you're just starting out growing or have many plants that need bright light in a small package.
  2. Philzon 2000W: These two lights were my latest addition and I have to say if my eyes are any indication they are brighter than anything else I have ever used. The light level is very high - I have over lit the room with three 2000W lights so I see the Philzon immediately next to another 2000W light which I think could be comparable but the Philzon's are MUCH brighter. The one issue I have had is these lights run hotter, raising the temp in my flowering room from low 70's to mid to high 80's when the lights are on. I even had to add a third fan in the doorway to control daytime temps. On the plus side they are not so hot they won't work and the added benefit of having a temperature swing in the room when lights are on (hotter) or off (cooler). I do not think these lights would work well inside a tent - any tent -- with their heat output but as a room light they added a significant amount of light on my budget. DO NOT BE FOOLED by the 3-5 watt diodes on other Manufactures brands, Phlizon uses high power diodes (10 watt diodes) in combinations to reach a full light spectrum at a specified wattage and I suspect that is why it runs hotter. IMO, Do Not Hesitate, your plants will love the light and flourish well. The warranty surpasses most manufactures products and repair/replacement process is as easy as pie.
  3. Vander 2000W sits right next to the Philzon's noted above. It is not as bright but it is also not nearly as hot. It's a good mix with a hotter, brighter cousin. It is bright, runs cool and would work in a small tent. Given the choice and price this is a good option for a grow room that needs a lot of light but cooler run temps and less noise. It came with a humidity and temp monitor as well as some clips and pulleys which was a nice addition. They put out less wattage 4-5w versus 10w per diode put out by the Philzon's.
  4. Bloomspect 1500W. This is actually my favorite light. It is super bright, runs both cool and quiet. I appreciate the smaller form factor in my over-lit room. I use to to "clean up" those branches that don't rise high enough to drink lots of the powerful lights so I drop this one down on the back edge of my room giving some much needed light to these branches. I suspect I will have added 40-60G's to my harvest and the nugs from lower branches I haven't seen indoors. One drawback is the form factor makes it best for smaller grow areas I would guess 3x3 max. It works well in both my flower room and my clone and grow tents.
What I wish I had known as a new grower. LOTS of people want to grow. That means there is always lights and grow supplies n sale in your local paper. I bought some of my lights for substantial discounts (e.g. 2000 w brand new in the box Philzon for $65!). BEFORE you get on Amazon get on line and look for individual sellers who didn't think through the complexities, space and time required to grow cannabis - you WILL find a lot of deals. I know 420 Magazine needs sponsors to survive and I love all their products but a reseller forum would be so welcomed!

If you have specific questions about any of these lights, I have been using them now for about 4-5 months and will do my best to give real world answers!
I ran Phlizon and thought they were the bees knees to until I found a light that ran a mean well driver . Phlizon are too damn heavy and way too hot . There are tons of lights out there just do a little research

I ran Phlizon and thought they were the bees knees to until I found a light that ran a mean well driver . Phlizon are too damn heavy and way too hot . There are tons of lights out there just do a little research
I started trailer-style, cobbling together what I could find or afford. For some reason in my area there is a lot of brand new in the box, bought off a trailer kind of lights - I have 4 brands and 9 lights! Someday maybe I'll have the time and money to do it right! Any specific help would be useful, maybe I can find it used.

Go
I am trying to set up for repeated grows with a harvest every other month or so. I started a few months ago before I was fortunate enough to find these forums - you guys are amazing! So much of what I learned has come from the growers on here who have reached out or replied to my posts with helpful suggestions, grow tips and encouragement - I cannot thank you all enough - I feel like I have found my tribe! Since the grow journals were so useful to me I thought I'd attempt to pay it forward by writing one of my own - from one new grower to anyone who cares.

Since I have already started my growing plans I'll lay out the current state of my crops and where I hope to go with them. I'd LOVE to hear from anyone with ideas or to point out what I can do better!

My current crops and grow status is:
  1. 2 Sativia dominant Jack Herrar bought from seed bank in Amsterdam. - both plants in flower starting Oct. 8, 2020. Harvest target date Dec 3-10. (Photos #1 & #2). I initially had a LOT of trouble getting seeds to work. My first attempt failed completely and the second yielded only 3 of 6 seeds sprouted. I sprouted them in soil, outside which may have been a contributor.
  2. 1 Sativa dominant Agan Kush bought from Seed Bank Amsterdam. Put into flower October 15, 2020. Harvest target date Dec 10-17. (Photo #3)
  3. 6 clones in veg. (Photo #4), cloned Oct. 15, 2020, amazing early stage growth as soon as I repotted at week #2.
  4. 9 clones in hold. (Photo #5). I clone plants about every other month from mothers headed into the flower tent. I take the clones and do a last trim 7-12 days before I put them into the flower room.
My physical setup is:
  1. Grow media, any good soil mixed with 25% vermiculite. 6" pots with soil mix and rockwool grow cubes to help stabilize my clones until they root.
  2. 2 each - 24x48x60 Vivosun Indoor grow tents.
    • One for clones - with a 1000W Mars Hydro as a light source (Photo #6), and a heat mat that fits the entire bottom of the tent to spur root growth. Vivosun 8" fans in each tent to keep them temps down. Even though LED Lights run cooler my Mars Hydro in particular can raise the temp when lit to 80 degrees so I have to watch temps throughout the hot days.
    • One for veg growth - with a bloomspect 1500 w (Photo #7) - Vivosun 8" fan.
  3. 1 grow room approximately 12x5X10 with mylar wall coverings, a trailer park humidity control (Photo #8) that amazingly keeps at at about 60% relative humidity! The grow room has 2 CannLights 1000W and one Vander 2000W - for three plants I know it is overkill but my harvest will approximately double each time until I cal truly fill the room. I also have several fans that feed this room fresh air, and help control humidity because the trailer humidifier I have works amazingly well.
  4. For humidity control I use a small humidifier in the clone tent and the trailer setup in the grow room. I find the veg tent stays at about 40% relative humidity just from having a lot of plants in the small area.
My nutrient mix is:
  1. For clones I pot in 4 or 6 inch pots so they can grow for 3-4 weeks and establish good root growth. I use Clonex along with Rockwool Grow Cubes and take clones from plants in Veg that are headed to flower in 10 days to two weeks. That way I can keep a harvest rotating every other month or so. I use only straight water with about a half does of General Organics BioRoot Booster for the first two weeks or until the clones recover and show some growth. At growth (once they are established) I begin to use minimal amounts of Fox Farm nutrients (I bought the varietal 3 pack from amazon).
  2. For Veg I repot the clones in minimum 5 gal cloth bags (eight fits perfectly into my 24x48 grow tents). My next crop I think I'll go to 10 Gal bags though the 5Gal seem adequate. I use the Fox Farms Grow Big and Big Bloom even during Veg and get a nice green canopy. I use nutrients every other water and ALWAYS check moisture to make sure I am not over watering because everything I read says that is the biggest mistake first time growers make.
  3. At Flower I change to Fox Farms Big Bloom and every third watering I add Hawaiian Bud Flower Formula that is super high in Phosphate 5-50-17. The plants on photos #1-#3 show the early results, this is at 4 weeks into flower for the two larger plants (the Jack's) and three weeks for my smaller plant (the Afghan Kush).
My routine is:
  1. Daily: Check moisture levels and water as appropriate, refill humidity devices, check and log temperature and humidity in each grow area (twice daily), set heater in the grow room to 80 degrees (It is timed to go off at night lowering the grow room temp to ~70 degrees), and look for bugs, yellowing or other items that might require crisis intervention.
  2. Weekly: clean and mop floors in all grow areas, check for pests, leakages and fan controls.
  3. Every 3-4 weeks, take everything out of the tent or room and clean, clean, clean.
  4. Every 6-8 weeks, clone new crop from veg girls ready to go into flower in 10-14 days.
  5. Crop rotation. Every time I harvest flowers I move my veg girls into flower and my repotted clones (now 4-6 weeks into their new 5-10 gal fabric pots) into the veg room. I started with three plants grown from seed and now have 6 clones in veg and 9 clones in 6" plastic pots ready to repot in about 2 weeks.

Plants looking nice and thick bud ! Very nice

Hi Drey,
everyone has their own way of drying but a couple of things to keep in mind.

If the buds are damp they will absorb the inks in the newsprint. Most are vegetable based but it's best if you can use brown paper bags

This is interesting. Maybe it was typos, but you don't want to go below 55% RH. 58-62% is ideal IMHO.

Cannabis always needs to be stored in environments below 65 percent RH to remain safe for consumption. Anytime cannabis is exposed to humidity levels above 65 percent, it is at risk of mold and microbial contamination. Our testing shows that exposing cannabis to high humidity for even a few hours can take it from dry to being at risk of mold propagation in less than a day. The scary part is that mold is difficult to see, and consuming moldy cannabis can introduce a significant health risk to even healthy individuals — not to mention the added risk for medical cannabis consumers such as those with compromised immune systems.

Boveda president Sean Knutsen.
Courtesy of Boveda
What's the right level of moisture a bud should have? At what point does it get too dry?

Industry standards have identified 55 to 65 percent RH to be the safest and most optimal range to store cannabis. We found that the negative effects of evaporation on cannabis potency and quality begin around 50 percent RH. What is “too dry” is difficult to define — the factors we recognize as important to most consumers are potency and smoking experience. The evaporation that occurs below 55 percent RH is compromising potency and quality every day the flower is at those levels. Most strains also begin to deliver a harsh taste or experience as they continue to lose moisture below 50 percent RH.

Beyond just evaporation impacting potency, as the bud dries, its trichomes, which hold the terpenes and cannabinoids, become brittle and are prone to breaking off, leaving the consumer less of the good stuff. We advocate storing cannabis in that safe zone below 65 percent RH and above 50 percent RH. Going lower begins to compromise the experience.

He mentions this at the end: below 65 percent RH and above 50 percent RH. Below 55% RH most growers will tell you the potency starts to degrade.te
Mr. Saugra Good morning. I'm have my crop hanging... I was wondering if you know the ideal temp and humidity I should be drying. Everything I've read it's 70 degrees and 50% humidity. Do you agree? Can I dry with 60% humidity or am I inviting mold? If I was drying at 60% I wouldn't run risk of over drying. Your thoughts would be appreciated...

Mr. Saugra Good morning. I'm have my crop hanging... I was wondering if you know the ideal temp and humidity I should be drying. Everything I've read it's 70 degrees and 50% humidity. Do you agree? Can I dry with 60% humidity or am I inviting mold? If I was drying at 60% I wouldn't run risk of over drying. Your thoughts would be appreciated...
You are asking the right guy for sure!

Good morning PD! No problem at 60%. You want to make sure you have a good air flow, but not blowing directly on them. I use the slow and dry method in the fridge which is perfect for me.

You are asking the right guy for sure!
Hey Buddy
Yes thank you for asking. I've learned a lot about journaling and hope my next effort will be more clear and interesting. BTW, any success I had (and I think I did), is because of people like you - thanks for all your help!
Just wanted to let you know I had 100% on new seeds for my new grow using peat pod. I just popped my head in downstairs and saw all for are up. I ordered seeds a month an a half ago hoping to grow a variety of autos but I haven't gotten them yet from Irish seed bank, so I had 5 Gorilla Glue Autos. I decided to spice things up by doing a side by side grow with coco and soil and also two different size pots. Mars Hydro Grow Journal | TS 3000 | Gorilla Glue Auto | 4X4 Tent | 2 Mediums| 2 Pot Sizes.

Hey Buddy

Just wanted to let you know I had 100% on new seeds for my new grow using peat pod. I just popped my head in downstairs and saw all for are up. I ordered seeds a month an a half ago hoping to grow a variety of autos but I haven't gotten them yet from Irish seed bank, so I had 5 Gorilla Glue Autos. I decided to spice things up by doing a side by side grow with coco and soil and also two different size pots. Mars Hydro Grow Journal | TS 3000 | Gorilla Glue Auto | 4X4 Tent | 2 Mediums| 2 Pot Sizes.
Freaking awesome friend! I have 15 new beans coming including 12 autos I can't wait to try. I am currently using a technique called quad-lining for my new crop of Indica beans now in process. I just did the first trim as babies, (nerves) but it looks like the grower said it would, excited!

I plan to use peat pods for my new beans - you have convinced me! I'll keep you posted if they ever arrive - I ordered from True North in early December and they have not arrived and from Growers Choice a few weeks ago - no seeds yet but I remain hopeful! If they all arrive it will be an embarrassment of riches...:yummy:

Freaking awesome friend! I have 15 new beans coming including 12 autos I can't wait to try. I am currently using a technique called quad-lining for my new crop of Indica beans now in process. I just did the first trim as babies, (nerves) but it looks like the grower said it would, excited!

I plan to use peat pods for my new beans - you have convinced me! I'll keep you posted if they ever arrive - I ordered from True North in early December and they have not arrived and from Growers Choice a few weeks ago - no seeds yet but I remain hopeful! If they all arrive it will be an embarrassment of riches...:yummy:
month an a half and I still haven't gotten my new seeds. :cool: :(

month an a half and I still haven't gotten my new seeds. :cool: :(
Ordered my seeds from Expert on December 26th and they arrived yesterday.
Arriving a day after I sent a very politely worded status email.

Ordered 3 Kosher Kush Fem. rec. 10 seeds
Ordered 3 Nicole Kush Fem. rec. 10 seeds
(both Garden of Green Genetics)
Ordered 3 Expert Gorilla Autos. rec. 10 seeds

Ordered a total of nine seeds and received thirty in a very timely manner, so I am very happy with Expert.

Very happy with Expert, but also think I was very fortunate with the shipping.

Ordered a total of nine seeds and received thirty in a very timely manner, so I am very happy with Expert.

Where to Where... I'm ordering from Dublin Ireland to Canada they're blaming Covid

I am so happy for you - and so jealous! I ordered from True North in November - nothing. My tracking data changes daily! I ordered from Growers Choice Seeds in Sacramento and they did arrive but 3 weeks after I paid. They took advantage of every policy - like it takes 10 days for us to receive and apply payment, 7 days to prepare a shipping label and shipment (they are all "picked by hand". Fortunately, as expected the seeds arrived two days after they were finally shipped.

Maybe I'll try Expert - I really have to find a supplier for feminized seeds or begin to make my own!

I am so happy for you - and so jealous! I ordered from True North in November - nothing. My tracking data changes daily! I ordered from Growers Choice Seeds in Sacramento and they did arrive but 3 weeks after I paid. They took advantage of every policy - like it takes 10 days for us to receive and apply payment, 7 days to prepare a shipping label and shipment (they are all "picked by hand". Fortunately, as expected the seeds arrived two days after they were finally shipped.

Maybe I'll try Expert - I really have to find a supplier for feminized seeds or begin to make my own!
I just got response back from Irish seed bank. They told me a Canadian client just got their delivery and they ordered 3 days before me.. It felt so personal.. I understand the delays from Europe. I appreciate their fast response. I should be getting seeds any day... Not like it matters. I started other seeds for this grow anyway.

One other thing I should note about what I have learned here. I was lucky! I wish I had started here but I am so grateful to have found I made few mistakes - so far! My good luck - and the guidance I get here - might just get me to a great first harvest.
I feel the EXACT same way; this site has been a tremendous save for me!!!! Members and Sponsors both!!!!

I just got response back from Irish seed bank. They told me a Canadian client just got their delivery and they ordered 3 days before me.. It felt so personal.. I understand the delays from Europe. I appreciate their fast response. I should be getting seeds any day... Not like it matters. I started other seeds for this grow anyway.

I've found True North is useless, they just don't care. I now have a great contrast - two Seed Banks in California! They both had better customer service so far. I received my first order from Growers Choice Seeds(Sacramento) weeks still
ridiculous but acceptable. I have also ordered from Homegrown Cannabis and early signs are that they might be the one. Their prices are okay - competitive. Even better I can pay with venmo and they acknowledge automatically. In just one day IOI ordered, paid and received notification payment was received and my order had been sent to packing! If I do get their delivery I will quickly become as impassioned an advocate as I am committed to telling my story of bad customer experiences for vendors that do not perform.

I am so happy you had a good experience with Irish Seed Bank. I have looked at the website and products look good, pricing is okay but the overseas payment options just suck, and customs is too big an unknown for me given my experience. Please keep me posted, I can't wait to see your pretty ladies!

I feel the EXACT same way; this site has been a tremendous save for me!!!! Members and Sponsors both!!!!

My first harvest was amazing! The help I received from so many here was invaluable in my harvest of 3 Sativa's. I harvested about 14 ounces from 3 plants, 11 of amazing thug nugs and 2 ounces of sugar leaves and hash. I now have 16 more in process - all from clones of my original stock. Right behind that we get into Indica's, Hybrids and Autos - the perpetual harvest is on!!!

Hey Drey, great looking flowers bro. Definitely, alot better then my first couple of grows for sure.
Sativas are my favorite but definitely need extra flower time, not so much in Veg but its a wash on total time of the plant roughly.
Just make sure to go the distance in flower because theyre well worth it.
Great breeder Soma always say whenever you think the flowers are done go a couple more weeks.
You have spent 3 or 4 months with the plant, whats a couple more weeks for fully mature potent flowers.
This will ensure maximum yield and potency imo..cheers bro..great looking plants
I agree. Go a couple more weeks....and go from there!!!!

I've found True North is useless, they just don't care. I now have a great contrast - two Seed Banks in California! They both had better customer service so far. I received my first order from Growers Choice Seeds(Sacramento) weeks still
ridiculous but acceptable. I have also ordered from Homegrown Cannabis and early signs are that they might be the one. Their prices are okay - competitive. Even better I can pay with venmo and they acknowledge automatically. In just one day IOI ordered, paid and received notification payment was received and my order had been sent to packing! If I do get their delivery I will quickly become as impassioned an advocate as I am committed to telling my story of bad customer experiences for vendors that do not perform.

I am so happy you had a good experience with Irish Seed Bank. I have looked at the website and products look good, pricing is okay but the overseas payment options just suck, and customs is too big an unknown for me given my experience. Please keep me posted, I can't wait to see your pretty ladies!
Yep. If you had a great selection of seeds. you could do well....things are fixing to pop here in the USA. Seed banks could REALLY make some $$$$$$

Back
Top Bottom