New to coco, have a few questions

Thrips are one thing (cosmetic damage) but fungus gnats do harm plants.

They can affect roots... also fungus gnats feed on fungus, where is the fungus coming from? Too wet of a medium.

Screenshot_20200416-133528_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Please watch the advice you offer to new growers. It may work for you but many dont want to bring pests into there grow.

I've fought the battle against fungus gnats.... never again. They can really proliferate and effect ones grow.

@Slicknick909 is right on the money ! Love it yes another over 3gal container is gonna be a waste of coco and water/nutrients. My last grow was 1gal pots and got monsters! This grow will be in .5 gallon pots. Should be great but what do I know.

Idk, for me that's asking for fungus gnats.

In early veg ill water once a day and as they veg you can ramp up to more frequent watering. I prefer to let the coco start to dry out a little before I do multi waterings. This tells me the roots are mostly set in the container. The coco never dries out though. Watering this way gives me the hydroponic growth that coco is famous for. Coco can be over watered but it's very hard, seedlings are susceptible though

Either way a seedling doesnt need to be watered 4 times a day, If your medium stays too moist it's a recipe for problems but that just me and everyone has there own way that works for them. Two things that come to mind are possible root rot issues and possible fugas gnat issues.

For me I absolutely needed to water full strength. A lot depends on genetics, let the plant tell you what it wants. I was watering 4 times daily and I would get deficiency if I dropped lower. Even for veg I was at full schedule strength so if you see deficiency dont be scared to give more

Either way coco is forgiving and your gonna love it
20200329_115206.jpg

Perhaps if you had watered that plant a bit more often it would have got a bit bigger and given you a better yield?

I never said fungus gnats are a good thing, I only said they didn't seem to harm my plants. And perhaps if you can get the roots to grow fast enough, the little critters can't keep up in harming the plant? I don't know, but they don't seem to harm my plants. That being said it's always good to take preventive actions. I keep forgetting to buy some, but a layer of sand near the top will rip the larvaes apart when they try to reach the top to hatch. Also, the yellow sticky traps are always good to have. I fold them a bit and lay them on top of the top layer in the pot.

Back
Top Bottom