New to Indoor - First Indoor Grow - HOG - 2011

Re: New to Indoor-First Indoor Grow-HOG-2011

Looking great, MacG! :welldone:

Nice & frosty!

Looking Very Nice MacG:yummy::yummy::yummy: looks like you will have a nice harvest soon.:thumb::thumb: I see that you had some worry about your leaves turning a purple. Mr. krip Is right this can be from Phosphorus def but I have grown a lot of indicas and I always use Atami or a high phosphorus content late bloom nutrient and I still have seen purpling of leaves. In fact My sky walkers now are getting purple in the leaves and I love the way it looks. I have grown skywalkers before and they did the same thing I was actually waiting to see the purple show up this time, just a characteristic of some strains. Cant wait to see the end results of the grow keep up the good work.:Rasta::Rasta::Rasta:

Thanks Mr Krip! I took one of the small frosty leaves and ate it to see how they were tasting. Wow, I can't believe how sweet they taste. Nothing offensive at all. I think the organic nutes and the FF BD Sledge flush really helps with that, though I'm not sure. :smokin: I hope that all this translates to a nice smoke. Can't wait to get to home base with these girls, lol! :surf:

Hey Anomoly, glad you stopped by! The color does give them a nice aura and is adding to my excitement to get get this first indoor grow done without fucking it up too badly lol!

:peacetwo:

Updates 8 weeks 4 days 12/12:

This is kind of :eek:fftopic: But I didn't have any luck with the microscope pics this week, the led's on it are to weak to get good pics, even with new batteries. It takes hours to get just a few shots... pisses me off :thedoubletake: Anyone have a line on a good one that doesn't break the bank? The one I bought cost about $89 made by Celestron and came with the camera/software for digital pics. For viewing it's fine and at low power it also works good and takes 2 mp pics, but for the 60x power shots it sucks! On screen the shots look great but when I go to "capture" it takes a long time and then the pics come out way to dark to be of any use.

Back on topic:

I wanted to show that some of the trichs are turning opaque with just a few turning amber, but most are still clear. Anyway, I took some regular photos.

001590.JPG

007477.JPG

003602.JPG

You can see some of the purple leaves in this one:

008441.JPG

005537.JPG

002637.JPG

009405.JPG

They are generally looking pretty good but seem dry (see lower right pic above, just above and left of the 420 watermark). Some of the leaves have turned brown on the tips and crumble easily. I'm keeping humidity @ 40-50% so not sure if this is something to be really concerned about. I'm using FF BBloom and Cha-Ching, could it be nute burn? I think even though the A/C doesn't blow directly on the plants I still think it has a tendency to dry the air even if the humidity seems to be ok. That's probably a real dumb statement, oh well it ain't the first and lord knows it won't be the last, lol!

Hey MacG Looking Frosty My Friend:thumb::thumb: You are going to have a healthy harvest:yummy::yummy: You are at over 8 weeks so the leaves dyeing off and crumbling is natural at this stage. It is actually expected. At the very end of flowering plants will pretty much suck the nutrients out of everything else in the plant to help budding and thats why the leaves start to die off turn yellow and get crunchy. They literally eat the leaves to supplement the buds so this is all normal my friend. Your Humidity sounds right, temps sound great, and they look all around awesome for this late in flowering so great Job. I cant wait to se the end product!!! I too am searching for amber tri's on my buds but have actually had none pop up yet maybe two half formed ambers. Looks like you got a few more than me and are a little ahead but we almost are neck in neck on the grows:high-five::high-five:. Looks like my grow is going to take closer to 9 weeks than the 8 I was expecting, oh well just how nature goes going to cut them when they are ready and not rush them:slide::slide: Looking great keep it up:goodjob::goodjob:

I finally finished my dry cab. Here's the pics!

I used an old file cabinet.
Cabinet5.JPG

Cab_22.JPG

The holes are 2 1/2" in dia. and not shown here I added three more in the middle of each drawer for a more even airflow.

Cab_Drwr_Holes.JPG

There are 4ea 2 1/2" intake holes that I covered in double thick felt to keep the light out and restrict airflow. Trying to get just a light air pass through so the buds don't dry too fast.

Cab_Intakes.JPG

I Covered the bottom with a piece of aluminum I had laying around. Actual it was an old construction sign I cut to fit.

Cab_Bttm.JPG

Cab_Bttm_Cvr.JPG

I installed this 3 1/4" fan to draw a small amount of air through the cabinet. It is rated at 25 cfm. Inside the cabinet the fan hole is covered with double felt also.

Fan20.JPG

The dry racks are made of 1" X 3" wood and 1/8" construction screen. There are a total of 4 screened racks and they measure about 1' x 2' ea. I put felt only on the bottom rack to help restrict airflow.

Dry_Rcks.JPG

Here's the completed cabinet.

Complt_1.JPG

Complt_2.JPG

I plan on putting it in the grow room where the temp/humidity can be control. Well it's not pretty but it should do the trick! :wood:

Hey MacG Looking Frosty My Friend:thumb::thumb: You are going to have a healthy harvest:yummy::yummy: You are at over 8 weeks so the leaves dyeing off and crumbling is natural at this stage. It is actually expected. At the very end of flowering plants will pretty much suck the nutrients out of everything else in the plant to help budding and thats why the leaves start to die off turn yellow and get crunchy. They literally eat the leaves to supplement the buds so this is all normal my friend. Your Humidity sounds right, temps sound great, and they look all around awesome for this late in flowering so great Job. I cant wait to se the end product!!! I too am searching for amber tri's on my buds but have actually had none pop up yet maybe two half formed ambers. Looks like you got a few more than me and are a little ahead but we almost are neck in neck on the grows:high-five::high-five:. Looks like my grow is going to take closer to 9 weeks than the 8 I was expecting, oh well just how nature goes going to cut them when they are ready and not rush them:slide::slide: Looking great keep it up:goodjob::goodjob:

Right on Bro! I was thinking along the same lines. :thanks: I'm thinking that the girls may go another week. Will be checking them daily now. I can't wait to complete this journey. I want to find something different for the next grow. I Have 3 HOG's I cloned from these for an outdoor grow. I hardened them over the last three weeks and they are now acclimated. I hope my clone supplier has a good variety. Can't wait to start the next journal! I'll catch up with your new grow today.

MacG, everything's looking great! :welldone:

Just a little "heads-up" for you on your fan...

I just did my first harvest and dry in my DIY dry box. It's made of a wardrobe box, but is about the same size as yours (maybe a little bigger) and I also put a 3.5" PC fan with an odor control filter.

I had my fan running 24x7 and the buds dried out way too quick. I basically had to move them to jars in 48 hours. I'm now doing my 2nd round of drying in the box and running the fan four times per day for only 15 minutes each time, just to clear out any built-up humidity and it seems to be going much better.

So, just wanted to warn you on running the fan constantly...definately keep a close eye on the buds until you get the drying "dialed in"! :goodluck:

MacG, everything's looking great! :welldone:

Just a little "heads-up" for you on your fan...

I just did my first harvest and dry in my DIY dry box. It's made of a wardrobe box, but is about the same size as yours (maybe a little bigger) and I also put a 3.5" PC fan with an odor control filter.

I had my fan running 24x7 and the buds dried out way too quick. I basically had to move them to jars in 48 hours. I'm now doing my 2nd round of drying in the box and running the fan four times per day for only 15 minutes each time, just to clear out any built-up humidity and it seems to be going much better.

So, just wanted to warn you on running the fan constantly...definately keep a close eye on the buds until you get the drying "dialed in"! :goodluck:

Hey Mr. Krip! Great observation and thanks for the heads up. I was concerned about that for sure. That's why I put the felt in to reduce airflow and block light from entering the cab. I have an extra timer and will put it on that. I was hoping to start curing in 120 hrs or about 5 days. Is that a reasonable time frame or should I be shooting for a slower dry period before curing? Thanks for your help!

Hey Mr. Krip! Great observation and thanks for the heads up. I was concerned about that for sure. That's why I put the felt in to reduce airflow and block light from entering the cab. I have an extra timer and will put it on that. I was hoping to start curing in 120 hrs or about 5 days. Is that a reasonable time frame or should I be shooting for a slower dry period before curing? Thanks for your help!

MAJOR DISCLAIMER: I'm still doing my first harvest so can't really comment personally on the difference between a 5-day and 7-day drying period.

That being said, my understanding is the slower, the better with the goal being a 1-2 week drying period. However, I've seen a number of growers who regularly dry for only five days as a matter of course, and I'm sure you'll be fine with that, especially if you're on a time limit. If you don't have time pressures, I'd personally try for the slower dry. I was actually trying for 1-2 weeks when I ended up at 48 hours due to the fan! :rofl:

MAJOR DISCLAIMER: I'm still doing my first harvest so can't really comment personally on the difference between a 5-day and 7-day drying period.

That being said, my understanding is the slower, the better with the goal being a 1-2 week drying period. However, I've seen a number of growers who regularly dry for only five days as a matter of course, and I'm sure you'll be fine with that, especially if you're on a time limit. If you don't have time pressures, I'd personally try for the slower dry. I was actually trying for 1-2 weeks when I ended up at 48 hours due to the fan! :rofl:

Hi Mr. Krip. I agree... I think the slower is better under the right conditions. There are a shit load of variables, plant/bud type/density/atmospherics etc. etc. but I'm in no hurry and just want the best I can get, and as much time and effort (not to mention the cash output) I want them to be the best they can be at this point. Fuck I sound like a commercial, lol! Plus I have plenty of meds to wait the girls out.

I have ten of these babes, so maybe I'll try a little experiment with deferring timelines and post the results. My only pressure is to make room for the next grow. I have three clones of these that I am doing outdoor and will start the new journal as soon as I get these babes harvested. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get some other strains this next grow.

Well I think I'm close. I flushed with FF Sledgehammer, which I think will be my last flush. The pistils are browned and turning in. Tric's are mostly opaque with some amber. To all you 420 guru's (or not) out there I would appreciate your opinions. My thought is I will begin harvest this Saturday which will be 9 weeks and 3 days since starting 12/12. Feel free to sound off fellow growers! Here's the pics:

011337.JPG

009406.JPG

008443.JPG

007479.JPG

005539.JPG

006478.JPG

004577.JPG

003605.JPG

002640.JPG

001593.JPG

The smell is incredible! Very skunky and armpitty, if there is such a term, lol! Sure am looking forward to the finish line it's been a great experience so far despite my ignorance and screw ups I think I may just make it :wood:

Hay Macguyverup, great job on the drying box, looks like you got it done just in time :thumb:

Those buds are shining :yummy: Towards the end of a grow, my excitement to chop has sometimes overidden reality... now whenever I think they're ready, I wait a week ;)

:goodjob:

Hey Horse, Thanks for stopping by. When to chop is not as easy as I remember from the old days. Many times we chopped a day or two early to avoid CAMP if the choppers were getting to close. We thought better to harvest and get some rather than watch are crops go by in nets hanging from Hueys or Chinooks (true story). At least now I don't have to be paranoid, just smart... which is doubtful, lol!

I was just doing some more research on flushing before harvest. Yesterday I thought I was doing my last flush but now I'm not so sure.

Here's a video I found on Youtube:

YouTube - Test To See If Your Marijuana Is Flushed Properly

I have been flushing with ff sledgehammer and ff big bloom mixed per the ff schedule. Should I now flush with plain water the next few days before harvest and will all that water in the pots hurt harvest more than solve the problem?

I was just doing some more research on flushing before harvest. Yesterday I thought I was doing my last flush but now I'm not so sure.

Here's a video I found on Youtube:

YouTube - Test To See If Your Marijuana Is Flushed Properly

I have been flushing with ff sledgehammer and ff big bloom mixed per the ff schedule. Should I now flush with plain water the next few days before harvest and will all that water in the pots hurt harvest more than solve the problem?

MacG, the pre-harvest flush is to remove any stored nutes, so I would not consider flushing with FF nutes, a "flush".

You should give them a diet of PLAIN, PH'd water starting 1-2 weeks before harvest. This time can be reduced if you use a flushing agent like Clearex.

Don't worry about flooding with water, as long as your pots have good drainage. I believe the "rule-of-thumb" is to flush with 3x-5x the container size. So, a 3 gallon container would get flushed with 9-15 gallons of water.

MacG, the pre-harvest flush is to remove any stored nutes, so I would not consider flushing with FF nutes, a "flush".

You should give them a diet of PLAIN, PH'd water starting 1-2 weeks before harvest. This time can be reduced if you use a flushing agent like Clearex.

Don't worry about flooding with water, as long as your pots have good drainage. I believe the "rule-of-thumb" is to flush with 3x-5x the container size. So, a 3 gallon container would get flushed with 9-15 gallons of water.

Thanks Mr. Krip. Just flushed with ph'd water will flush with clearex tomorrow.

MacG, no problem! In fact, here's a good reference on flushing:

Flushing: A Tutorial by Papa Green

Awesome read Krip! Clearex this evening when I get home possibly one more before chop and I should be good to go. They're really ripening fast and leaves are starting to just fall off and the plants in general have taken on that "I'm done" look. Lots of browning all over and worried about rot now that there is so much dead leaf tips I can't get to tight in around the buds. So I'm pretty sure, along with all the other "markers" that this weekend will be chop-chop time. We'll see!

:thanks:

Thursday I flushed with Clearex and am glad I did. ph'd water at 6.0 going in came out at 7.4, so obviously they really needed it since there was still allot of nutes. By way the Mr. Krip, if you read this, that is great stuff! :thanks:

Friday evening after agonizing over the chop/don't chop decision and after a few calming brews and a little better calming meds :) I said WTF I'll wait one more week (as its damn near impossible to do with my work hours during the week-long ass commute and OT-wah-wah!) my biggest fear is that I would miss the peak moment for the girls. So today I took some more pics to show how they are doing and I just gotta say... I'll be biting my fucking nails all week, lol! Here's some pics:

016205.JPG

013280.JPG

012283.JPG

The buds a super dense! Not to mention sticky!
004579.JPG

Ice cold brew goes great with the sample buds!:tokin:
019150.JPG

Even the smaller buds are super tight!
022121.JPG

021155.JPG

Just love the sparkles!:yahoo:
006481.JPG

Can't friggin wait! and that little voice inside my head "Patience my little jackass!" LOL!

As I was cruising to harvest this Memorial Day weekend... I decided to take a trip down memory lane of my pics (please bear with me for a moment :))

011319.JPG

03077.JPG

Top40.JPG

20x_Top.jpg

010368.JPG

004565.JPG

010377.JPG

003602.JPG

Image931.JPG

012277.JPG

008441.JPG

024107.JPG

and this:

Dry_Rcks.JPG
Complt_1.JPG
Complt_2.JPG

and then it dawned on me...

how is all this

024107.JPG

going to fit into this!?!:rofl:

Complt_2.JPG

I was obviously delirious, delusional, or something :grinjoint:

So my plan now is to harvest and hang them in the GR and place all the bud shake in the cabinet to dry (also in the GR).

and the bright side is? Through all my screw ups and with the aid of the greatest grow help from all you :420: people I will still have a great harvest!:yahoo::thanks:

Back
Top Bottom