Newbie CFL grow - Need some help

OK so i the top growth is coming in nicely..
20140629_130552.jpg
20140629_130805.jpg

but i'm still having some yellowing leaves on the whole plant and kinda droopy.. any ideas here guys??
20140629_130805.jpg
20140629_130527.jpg
20140629_130251.jpg
20140629_130220.jpg

also i read that maybe the rainbow mix, mixed in with the soil might not be a good thing? anyone got any insight there?

ok. this week i will do my best to get a ph kit and something that can help there. i was also able to thru 2 more 26 watts up.. all 2700K.. i keep finding them in all the rooms.. :) so i'm up to a total of 146 watts and 6500 lumins.. and recommendations on the nitrogen deficiency? i have the rainbow mix which is a 5-5-2. now thats thoroughly mixed in the soil, but since i'm showing signs, should i mix up a batch and maybe feed her on tuesday or wednesday with nutes? the research i've done wtih the rainbow, and just adding it in the soil, most ppl say jut water like normal you don't have to feed additionally that nute at all.. any suggestions here.. also, i think i didn't top correctly. cause it appears to have only one new growth.. i don't know tho. i'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.. lol Thanks again for all the help you guys are.. and the forum.. this is amazing...

OK so after waking her up this morning.. i noticed that the yellowing on the larger leaves is worsing.. also the new growth from the top looks as if it's barely stretching and the leaves are brown on the tips. now this my guess would be NUTE burn. now because i (like a newbie) just mixed the EJ Rainbow mixGrow into my ocean forest. So if you can confirm this is nute burn, then i will repot immediately. as i can't flush, because the nutrients are mixed into the soil.. :oops: wont do that again. lol soo if it's not nute burn then my guess is it's light burn cause the CFL's were about an inch away. i moved those to about 2-4 inches. I'm going to find a cheap PH kit somewhere today, and i guess a couple gallons of RO waters so i can ph the soil and fix this issue asap. Any other recommendations. I'm trying to use this site and all it's knowledge before asking questions.. lol i guess i just don't have the confidence in myself to read my lady yet.. i need your re-assurance that i'm doing the right thing.. thank fully my phone takes amazing close up shots so i've enclosed some pics of the top and the yellowing/browning leaves..
20140630_122432.jpg
20140630_122438.jpg
20140630_122525.jpg
20140630_122538.jpg

i've started a journal as well if it would be easier to Q and A there.. i have found that this feed is getting answer results as the journal and other questions i've asked in other places aren't getting any traffic. so thank gosh for you guys, and the help you've given so far..
As always..
~PostiveGraz

OK so i bought a PH test kit and a bottle of PH down. My tap water 7.5 so i brought it down to 6.0-6.5 (it's just the cheap drops) and added .5 gallons to my 3 gallon pot. once i got some run off i test that, and it was 7.5. so i PH'd another .5 gallon of water down to 5.5, and ran that thru the 3 gallon pot. the run off on that came back in the 6.0-6.5 scale so it appears the water i'm feeding, and the soil itself is at 6.0-6.5. i'm giving her a little patio sunlight while i re-rig the closet. so hopefully with the watering/ph situation under control, we can start figuring this little girl out.. Thanks for all the help.

Thanks Labexperiment. yes i have these as the background on my double monitor. LOL i'm hoping it will soak in subliminally and i'll be able to spot issues from a mile away.. lol

ANyways now with the PH issue under control it's time to start now actually dignosing the issues.. I also repotted last night because i didn't like the idea of EJ rianbow mix being in the soil. this morning before she went to sleep i poked my head in the closet and she loos lots greener. the new top growth is about a quarter inch. and the node growth is looking great too.. so hopefully noooooowwwww she be growing like a weed.. hahahahaha thanks again for everything guys..

Lab-- gotcha.. so that brings me to my next points.. i woke her up this morning.. and she's looking soooo much better i do believe.. so much greener, and alot softer to the touch.. i think with the lights around 2-3 inches away, thats helped with the light burn.. so i have pictures.. yay..
20140701_115815.jpg
20140701_115758.jpg
20140701_115657.jpg
20140701_115446.jpg
20140701_115415.jpg
20140701_115349.jpg

THESE are all the new top. so anyone wanna chime in here.. did i TOP correctly??? gosh i hope soooo.. hahahaha

20140701_115430.jpg
20140701_115356.jpg

these are of general growth.. it's much greener.. so i feel like the repotting last night was the best thing to do..

NOW for the QUESTIONS>>
Should i defoliate her bottom leaves, cause they are crusty and brown.. on the bottom node, they took a beating thru the bad PH and over nute. you can see from yesterdays pics, how yucky they are.. they do have new growth sprouting, so should i pluck it, or just leave it and wait for the new growth to come in..

Also i'm wanting to clone this plant ASAP to see what it is.. again it's a BAG SEED. so how soon can i do this.. i figure, clone, wait a week and straight to 12-12 for flower.. with-in a few weeks i should know the sex.. right?? lol

Thats all i can think of now.. i'll keep thinking.. you guys again, kick ass.. thank you..

Lightly pull on the yellowing and browning leaves if they come off easy good but do not force them off as the plant may use the nutrients left in the leaf still.

As for cloning you are still a few weeks away from having a good site to take a clone from. Where the fan leaf meets the stem there is some new growth starting there, when that new growth gets new growth of its own you can take clones. The idea to understand here is the nodes, clones have a much better chance of success when there is a node left on the stem you are cloning.

Do a search on where to take clones from to help you see what a good clone site looks like. CO Finest has some videos that may help as well for visuals.

awesome i will check that out. ok 2 weeks still isn't bad.. that only puts me about a month out to knowing if it's a she or not.

now as for the yellowing leaves, they feel pretty tightly on there, so i'm just gonna leave..

any ideas on the top? i'm so curious if i topped it correctly.. it kinda looka like 2 or maybe 3 sets of leaves are forming.. i really need a magnifying glass or something.. my phone takes pretty awesome pics, but it's still pretty hard to see whats going on..

Your phone does take awesome close ups.

To me it looks like you will end up with 4 tops.

OMG OMG OMG and omg.. really 4 tops.. thats what in all that maddness huh.. thats amazing.. i really hope this is a female.. if not i mean i did, have and are learning soooo much. if this is a female. yum.. i can't wait for the clones now.. i bud i got this seed from was some of the purplest stickiest bud i've got in many years.. so thats why i'm trying my damnedest to make this little girl a success..

Good afternoon guys..
So when i went and woke her up this morning, so much growth on top.. i love it.. now i did see something pretty interesting.. you'll see at the bottom of where the new tops are, there looks like pistols? is this the case? is it already showing sex. i mean that would be amazing to know if it is or not.. can anyone help determine?
20140702_115945.jpg
20140702_115937.jpg
20140702_115926.jpg

wahhhhh i wanna know NOW tho.. lol
thanks for such a quick response.. this forum really is the shit..
you know this forum can teach me ALOT of things, but patience is not part of it... lol
gosh i wish i could clone her and sex her.. i just don't want to be waiting time and money on a male.. grrrrr.. lolol
thanks again guys.. you rock..

Hey guys.. i posted this in other places, but honestly it doesn't seem like some of these forums get alot of action.
the people who have help me so far seem to be on this thread so i'll ask the question here..

IT's regarding intake and exhast

OK so i'm making a closet into a simi-stealth grow cab. Top is for veg bottom is for flower as it is a bigger space. IT's an open closet on the front. My plan was to seal the inside with white plastic to insure air tight, then take a sheet of plywood and cut to fit snuggley into the open whole on the front.
20140702_174354.jpg

here are some very crude pics that i drew.. i'm a visual person so i have to draw it out
this is the closet. veg up top and flower on the bottom

20140702_174400.jpg

you'll see here is my idea to fill the front open hole. you'll see on the bottom left hand corners i have a hole there.
that is where i want to put the intake vents.. now the question is how big do i need to make those vents? also to make them light proof i was going to connect a PVC elbow spray painted black to ensure no light thru.
20140702_174409.jpg

now this was my idea for a exhaust that is dumped into a 5 gallon ona bucket. i have access to the right side of the closet so i imagine picture 1 right next to picture 3. Now i was going to get a inline fan either 6" or 8" per your recommendations.
6"= 240 cfm
8"= 440 cfm
My total grow space, veg and flower is only 33 cubic feet.

Also i'm going to be vegging and flowing with only CFL's as of right now.. so i dont' think heat will be an issue.

So i guess my question here is, if i go with the 6" inline fan how big do i need my passive air intakes to be?
i hope my rude crude child-like drawings helped alittle?? Any info to make this easier let me know..

I know there are specific rules governing this issue but I do not remember them at the moment. I can however tell you what I have gotten away with, I make 2x6inch holes for my passive intake ports for my 1x6inch forced exhaust port. If you are worried about bugs and are going to have some kind of furnace filter on your passive intake ports then you will probably need 3x6inch passive air intake ports.

Good day,... I said GOOD DAY!

Awesome.. ok.. well this is a start.. hahaha i wonder why you can't remember at the moment... lol

anyways.. this is a great starting point. um, this is a closet in my bedroom, so i'm not worried about bugs. however, to light proof them, i was thinking of just a black spray painted 90 degree elbow to like 12"'s of pvc pipe with some holes drilled in it for additional air flow. with black paint on the inside of the PVC pipe, i feel like this should provide light proof.

SO if i'm pulling 2 exhaust 6" a piece, to a ona scrubber. i hope this provides the odor killer for 4 or 5 plants..

these buckets really are amazing..
thanks again as always..
~PositiveGraz

ok so i just peeked in and the new growth is super duper green. i think it might be an abundence of nitrogen. the nutes i used at first (like a dumbass) was 5-2-2. so it was nitrogen heavy. any ideas..
20140702_201014.jpg
20140702_200945.jpg

also look at the deformed top.. is this cause i fimmed or topped it like a newb??
20140702_200926.jpg
20140702_201022.jpg

thanks for the help... as always.. you guys are rock stars..

Back
Top Bottom