Northern Lights CFL + LED Closet Grow Started 2013-01-02

klangelier

Hi everybody, this is my first grow.

Here is my setup :

30 inches x 60 inches x 60 inches high closet.
2 x 40 watts cfl 4100K
2 x 40 watts cfl 6500k
1 x 125 watts cfl 6500k
1 x 135 watts ufo led.
1 x little fan for air circulation.
1 x humidifier for good humidity.
2 x 2 gallons pots.
I am using a mix of 2/3 coco and 1/3 perlite.
using complete Flora series from General Hydroponics.
using tap water at 7.2 ph with ph down, gives me 6.0 ph before watering.
room temp : 24 celsius

Bought 6 feminized seeds from The attitude in the UK. Ministry of cannabis Northern Lights.

Here is a little resume of the first 25 days of growing :

Germinated 2 seeds without any problems in 2 days.
Planted directly in my 2 gallons pots.

First one came out pretty fast in 2 days and started looking healthy. Has been growing steadily since then and has been out of soil for 18 days and is at almost 7 nodes but very short at 2,5 inches.

Now, had problems with the second one, dropped it on the floor when i wanted to put her in the pot. Then, got out of soil but late and was damaged ( probably by me) when I tried to help her lose her seed. Never recovered from that and I threw it out last week.

So I started a 3rd seed on day 10 and it all went well, sprouted in 36 hours, out of soil 2 days later, we are now 9 days later.

Plant A at 11 days :
103_4027.JPG

Plant A at 13 days :
103_4032.JPG

Plant A today 18 days :
103_4070.JPG

103_4066.JPG

Only problem I see right now with plant A is that it is a little bit droopy. Growing well but think I might be off a little bit on ph balance. What do you guys think?

Plant B at 4 days :
103_4034.JPG

Plant B today at 9 days:
103_4071.JPG

It has not grown in almost 7 days and looks pretty pale. Wondering if ph is wrong or maybe too much light or heat? Would appreciate anyone giving advice on this one.

Thanks to all in advance for your input.

Will post pictures and details of grow every few days.

Oups, by the way, here is a visual of my setup :
103_4043.JPG

I flushed Plant B on day 9 and checked that the ph of water coming out of the pot. It's close to 6.2 so should be good. Tried also to to put it further away from the light source. It kinds of look better than before and I am optimistic because the 3rd set of leaves is coming out faster now. I am open for input if someone has the time!

Here is Plant B day 10
103_4080.JPG

Here is an update after flushing both plants in the last 2 days.

Plant A is going well and is very bushy, I am kind of uneasy about the strange conical shape. Does anyone have an idea if its sign of a problem or deficiency?

Plant A day 20
103_4082.JPG

103_4083.JPG

Plant B has had bad times but I think it's behind her now. She looks a lot better than 2 days ago and has restarted growing.

Plant B day 11
103_4090.JPG
103_4089.JPG

Today, at day 26 since starting germination, both plants look better and better.

Plant A leafs are pointing more and more horizontally and Plant B seems to have almost completly recovered from her stuned state she had last week.

Here is a photo update :

Plant A day 21 :
103_4098.JPG
103_4097.JPG
103_4092.JPG

Plant B day 12 :
103_4095.JPG
103_4096.JPG

Benn having lots of fun watching those girls evolve and grow.

Northern Lights CFL + LED Closet Grow Started 2013-01-02 - Yellowing leafs, Help!

Yes, from what I've researched here and there, the ph should be between 5.5 and 6.5, I was probably to high in the first two weeks but in the last three waterings, I've tried to keep my water going in at just a bit under 6. I also flushed last week my two plants to be sure that the ph coming out was within 0.3 or 0.4 to tone going in.

They look like they are missing nutirents or something like that. I would really appreciate someone giving me tips or ideas on what I should do or try.

thanks.

looking good! im very interested in this strain. you have some burn issues though. you do know they dont need any food until theyre are vegging hard, right? pretty sure ph up and down will also shock them. first time i feed is about a month in, but i bet i can let it go longer, becuase plants are very green even on that day.

ph for soil should be 6.0-7.0

hydro should be a bit lower, like 5.5-6.0

what soil is that? i like that they use long stranded peat moss and a good amount of perlite.

i am glad that youre not soaking the pots while theyre this young though. good stuff man.

Hi and thanks for the input.

For your info, I am in 66% coco and 33% perlite with a bit of compost from my local hydroponics store.

I was wondering if my lights were too close to the top of my plants. Iv'e got CFLs between 3 and 4 inches from the plants and aUFO led light 6 inchs away. Maybe I could try to distance them a bit more to see what it does to the ladys?

Anyone else has an idea on other things I could try?

hmm odd..good mix..usually even compost alone doesnt burn plants.

the close lights wont do it, but the heat they produce will. you should have a small fan pointed at the lights while theyre on.

I've got already a little fan. Temp in the room is sometimes close to 30. Tonight, I just closed the led light to see if that will help but both plants are, for the moment, very light green, almost yellow. I did gave them 1/2 g of ph 5.8 water just a few minutes ago. Let's hope they'll be better tomorow morning.

Thanks bmeat for your input!

no problem. i would leave the led on now that youve purchased it, it produces the least amount of heat and is the most efficient. they are also full spectrum most of the time (different colored bulbs).

86f is too hot for little plants. i would knock out the cfls and get the led above the plants

Here is another update,

Both plants look healthier today compared to yesterday, I still decided to turn off the cfls and use only the led light at 12 inches to see if it will help the overall grow.

Plant A has now started node 9, still needs to be better. It's also kind of strange that there's only one side to the 7th node,
Plant A day 26:
103_4140.JPG
103_4144.JPG
103_4141.JPG

Plant B has now the 4th node in progress....
Plant B day 17:
103_4142.JPG
103_4143.JPG

nice..i keep my 150 watt 12" away as well. you should be just fine my man

Thanks for the help mbeam, they seem to get better day to day now with room temp under control at 25c. Humidity is 45% and Plant A is almost 4 inch high. Hopefully it will go upwards from now!

Yesterday, found a little spider in one of the photos I took from Plant A!
Did not see her today.

Plant A day 28:
103_4169.JPG
103_4170.JPG
103_4163.JPG

Plant B day 19:
103_4164.JPG

103_4165.JPG

Back
Top Bottom