Not sure if this is a normal color? I expected a lusher green?

NewlyGrowin

Hi all,

First Grower here about 3-4 weeks in.

Stats:
Strain: Northern Lights AutoFlower
Germinated from seed
germinated indoors, hardened and now in 100F California sun.
Direct sunlight from 8:30AM to about 4-5PM
7 gallon fabric pot
Drip system that waters 3/4 gallon every morning at sunup.

I have hit it with nutrients twice now. The first time about 1-2 weeks ago and once again this morning after seeing a little more yellow than I would expect.

In your educated opinions do I need to adjust anything?

Hi all,

First Grower here about 3-4 weeks in.

Stats:
Strain: Northern Lights AutoFlower
Germinated from seed
germinated indoors, hardened and now in 100F California sun.
Direct sunlight from 8:30AM to about 4-5PM
7 gallon fabric pot
Drip system that waters 3/4 gallon every morning at sunup.

I have hit it with nutrients twice now. The first time about 1-2 weeks ago and once again this morning after seeing a little more yellow than I would expect.

In your educated opinions do I need to adjust anything?

That little plant is already in flower! You need to switch to bloom nutes and up the Nitrogen (along with the P & K!), assuming you want to keep her. She's pretty small, but not uncommon with auto's in small containers. When roots hit the edge of the container, they often start blooming.

Thanks for the quick response! Should I shut down the autodrip with regular water and just water with nutrients from here on in?

Also, should it not be blooming already? I was under the understanding that an auto would most likely start blooming around 3-4 weeks in.

She definitely needs nutrients, but she's still a small plant so I'd start at about 1/2 dose and see how she responds (again, assuming you want to keep her - she likely won't give more than a gram or two, dried, so may not be worth the effort!).

There's a bunch of reasons I don't grow autos (mostly, because I like to clone moms!), although, I won't "knock them" per se, since I've seen some great auto grows and did just order some Dark Devil Auto seeds since the reviews & grows I've seen have been stellar.

That being said, I did just pop my first auto seed just a few weeks ago. I started it in a 4" container with the plans of up-potting in a few weeks to a 10 gallon. As soon as the roots hit the edge of the container, she started flowering. I'm keeping her (for now) since she's in soil and doesn't take up any room in the veg cab, but I don't expect anything worthwhile. I just thought it would be fun to have something that small in flower! ;) :

I also thought I had a few weeks, but, some of the more experienced auto growers commented that it was common among auto's that, once roots hit the edge of the container, they'll start flowering.

And here I thought it was going well!

So a couple things I am reading from this:

I should have transplanted earlier.
I need more nutes.
This thing will not be growing much bigger.

So out of a solo cup I was reading that I should transplant when the leaves are as big as the sides of the cup (diameter-wise). This one wasn't even close to that yet but was definitely getting root bound. When should I transplant to larger containers then?

So am I basically done. There is no recovering this one since it has already started to flower?

And here I thought it was going well!

So a couple things I am reading from this:

I need more nutes.

So out of a solo cup I was reading that I should transplant when the leaves are as big as the sides of the cup (diameter-wise). This one wasn't even close to that yet but was definitely getting root bound. When should I transplant to larger containers then?

So am I basically done. There is no recovering this one since it has already started to flower?

Give me two minutes and I'll post a couple of threads from another grower who's an "auto guru" and I'd recommend checking them out.

From what I'm gathering, for auto's, it's best to start them in their permanent containers and not transplant them, at all.

You are correct - You need more nutes and it will not be getting much bigger. No need to transplant, now.

Seems real small

What lights ya used, how far away, or is it always outside
Soil I assume, why no nutes till now

Autos are best planted in final pot, 3-5gal
Yers hit it timeline and started flower
I'd hit it with nutes and try to get it more light

It has been outside since transplanting into the 7 gallon pot.
Soil for sure, I was reading that Auto's really didn't need nutes as long as you had it in the soil to begin with. I started with a good organic soil with guano and other recommended amendments.

I hit it with some nutes and we will see where it goes over the next few days. I have one more in a solo cup I think I will transplant today, it hasn't even formed it's formed it's first leaves so maybe I can salvage it!

I need more nutes.

Watering every day probably resulted in its small size....autos spend the first 2-weeks building their root ball and this is optimized by letting the roots search for water...water autos 2x a week and 3x when in flower. Most autos double in size after flower...so yours will be 8" high instead of 4"...:)

Next time, try to germinate in the pot you are growing (my method)...5-gallon minimum...autos can easily grow to 4' and give you 3+ ozs if they have the right conditions. (those are all autos on the left about 2 weeks older than yours).

More great information, thank you!

So I need to water less and start out in the . I am definitely overwatering based on what you guys are saying as well as what I am reading.

As far as germinating in the pot they will be in: These are an outdoor grow so do I need to keep it out of direct sunlight at first while it is under a few inches high? Or can I just start off in direct sun directly after it germinates?

I ask because I have a second one germinating right now, the initial leaves are still trying to break out of the seedcap and it is only an inch high. Is now the time to move it outside and into a bigger pot?

My entire method, since you asked:)

I soak in water inside for 15 hours then place in a papertowel and keep it moist until the taproot gets about an inch or two. Then I plant it in soil (solo cup) about 1/2-1" deep and let it grow inside under a 40W LED until it is time to put it outside.

More great information, thank you!

So I need to water less and start out in the . I am definitely overwatering based on what you guys are saying as well as what I am reading.

As far as germinating in the pot they will be in: These are an outdoor grow so do I need to keep it out of direct sunlight at first while it is under a few inches high? Or can I just start off in direct sun directly after it germinates?

I ask because I have a second one germinating right now, the initial leaves are still trying to break out of the seedcap and it is only an inch high. Is now the time to move it outside and into a bigger pot?
Indirect light for the first week or more...they need 2-3x sets of leaves otherwise the sun will fry them.

My entire method, since you asked:)

I soak in water inside for 15 hours then place in a papertowel and keep it moist until the taproot gets about an inch or two. Then I plant it in soil (solo cup) about 1/2-1" deep and let it grow inside under a 40W LED until it is time to put it outside.

That sounds perfect, two weeks in a solo should be fine unless she blasts off

Ya may try two solo, clear one inside a red one, so you can see root development

Back
Top Bottom