nute disorder, plz advise!

saysthekid

shiva skunk in veg week 3
ebb flow 1 gallon coco coir
2x4 table 20 gallon res, 2x flood daily
8bulb t5
room temp 75* rh 60%
nutes: 10-8-22 generic commercial hydro, ph 5.8, ec 1.2

I'm guessing that my K is way too high and is locking out micros? Any comments would be much appreciated!!
mjhelp3.JPG

View image in gallery

I would say switch to a nute solution that isn't so high. It's easier to controll the ammount of nutes and how they are applied when they are in smaller quantities.

Also having a ton of Potassium doesn't help. Plants know what nutes are available and will only use nutes that they need in a balance with the nutrient that is least available. So having a ton of nutes is probably locking out micronutrients and killings your plants.

Flush and clean your rez. Post soon and let us know how it's going please.

Turns out the table isn't flooding high enough and there is salt buildup in the upper half of the media :( Apparently with coco and ebb/flow one must either top feed regularly or use smart pots (fabric containers) for a full flood.

1.2 ec doesn't seem too high for veg, although coco specific nutes generally have less K. (any comments?)

As for general hydroponics nutes, I shall pass. The ingredients in their 3 part are cheap chemical salts that they mark up 10-20x (literally). I would rather risk trial and error and buy chemicals individually and blend. Of course most of all I would prefer an organic outdoor grow, but sometimes one must settle in life. :smokin:

-J

Man that coca messed with my system so bad! When I took it out and went with hydroton the plants jumped up and started dancing around the flood tray! I will not be using it again... Salt built up, locked my girls out, PH was all over the board... Slimm a member here uses it and swears by it... He has a journal going "Slims urban hang suite" or some name like that, and he has some input in the hempy bucket thread... :peacetwo: :goodluck:

I mean bugs! If you are experiencing phantom problems, clearly a flush is in order. However, if that fails to remedy the problem, look for bugs! Particularly soil borne pests like root ahids which are hard to idenfity, often before its too late! The symptoms displayed in the photo look remarkably similar to root problems precipitated by bugs. I'd suggest scouring the plants, including the soil . . and possibly flush one of your gals with pyrethrins to see if something happens to come out the pot! You may be suprised. Let me know, I'm interested if it only the high PPMS you spoke of which is causing the issue.

Funny you should mention bugs...because concurrently with the problems appearance I noticed some root aphids and larvae in the flood tray crevices. (I'm kind of a novice, jeje) I think the low flood level coupled with no top feed caused major salt issues (particularly high runoff upon flush) which must have been compounded with some aphids. I washed my res and tray with hydrogen peroxide and have been flushing the shit out of my plants. It has been a couple days and I see no evidence of more bugs and the plants are slowly recovering. Sorry to laugh I was just confused. lol. Anyway, thanks for all the input. I'm going to start playing around with fabric containers (smart pots) and do some hydroton in a separate tray. Hydro is alot of fun. I figured I might as well dive in head first!

-J

Gah! So I lied about the recovery, nothing much has happened. Upon close inspection I have bugs...help! There appear to be both small aphids and very small white "worms" in the coco. Please advise! I have pyrethrum and azamax at my disposal.

No sign of spider mites upon closer inspection. I did find root aphids and fungus gnat larvae in the coco tho :( Anyone experiencing phantom nute disorders, consider this.

Thx for the heads up on the bugs!

-Cya

My pleasure . . . the damage in the pic had bugs written all over it! Hard earned experience :) Pyrethrum will kill bugs Ricko sytle . . . Spectracide will also work to eliminate the aphids!

Organic is hard in my opinion but the results are rewarding. Let us know how everything is going... :smokin:

Back
Top Bottom