Nutrient burn leaves: remove or keep?

ATHF

Day 40 with this Blackberry and there are leaves that show burn it started about 2 weeks and slowly progressesd i'm just wondering if to remove or keep them, The one in center image shows a lot of burn is this leaf still viable for the plant?, if i was to remove the worst burn leaves it will obviously let more light in below to other flower sights.
Also the only new leaf development i see is on the flower and they appear healthy.

day 40.png

That doesn't look like a burn to me, it looks like a multi element deficiency. Something basic is wrong here. Lets talk about your nutes, your medium and your pH. No, do not remove these leaves, or the problem will show up on the next set of leaves.
i had a closer look at nute chart and the maker states to flush the medium every 1-2 weeks with plain water and i haven't once through the grow..that could be the problem.

Day 40 with this Blackberry and there are leaves that show burn it started about 2 weeks and slowly progressesd i'm just wondering if to remove or keep them, The one in center image shows a lot of burn is this leaf still viable for the plant?, if i was to remove the worst burn leaves it will obviously let more light in below to other flower sights.
Also the only new leaf development i see is on the flower and they appear healthy.

day 40.png
Good morning my friend @ATHF Sorry about your issues.
Your listed in coco growing, is that what is in your pots?
If so as Em stated you could have a def.
Don't remove anything yet.
Do you feed every day until run off?
You shouldn't need to flush coco if your watering to run off.
Have you been using calmag in you mix first?
You must use calmag every feed in coco.
Also must be fed every day at exactly 5.8 ph are you doing that?
Let me know where things stand and we will get you back on track.
Take care.

Stay safe
Bill

Good morning my friend @ATHF Sorry about your issues.
Hey Bill don't be sorry i was expecting leaf issues maybe with my next grow i can decrease it.

using coco
3 times a day..i do enough runoff
calmag always
ph5.8

There's so many variables to consider with this leaf issue its likely more than just my nutrient mix i will keep as is till harvest..the flowers and smell so far makes this my best grow i will know around 3 months after harvest if its ok.

Hey Bill don't be sorry i was expecting leaf issues maybe with my next grow i can decrease it.

using coco
3 times a day..i do enough runoff
calmag always
ph5.8

There's so many variables to consider with this leaf issue its likely more than just my nutrient mix i will keep as is till harvest..the flowers and smell so far makes this my best grow i will know around 3 months after harvest if its ok.
What is in your nutrient mix my friend?
Something isn't going according to plan there.
Maby it needs adjusting?

Stay safe
Bill

Hey Bill, I don't want to go into details about the liquid nutrient most don't know about it or use i'll keep it going as is see how it turns out maybe next grow it can be done better.

Day 42 blackberry is there any anomalies in these flowers i wouldn't know.

1.png

2.png

3.png

Hey Bill, I don't want to go into details about the liquid nutrient most don't know about it or use i'll keep it going as is see how it turns out maybe next grow it can be done better.

Day 42 blackberry is there any anomalies in these flowers i wouldn't know.

1.png

2.png

3.png
Beautiful. :bravo:

Stay safe
Bill

Man i hope its smokes Beautiful my last grow was a RQS honey cream and its flowers look crap compared to this blackberry it took 3 months after harvest for it to burn into white ash its smokes ok but i know there's a lot better can be grown this grow is a bit of a test i want to compare my previous flushed to non flushed and see how it smokes.I'm glad this is my last grow in a wooden box.

Day 40 with this Blackberry
and it looks like another 30 days or a bit more to go.

A lot of times it ends up being pretty easy to fix what look like basic problems like this one. @bill might be right when he wrote that it maybe not much more than an adjustment to what you are already doing.

Since the pH looks good and you are always using a Cal-Mag problem it might be in the nutrients you are using. Maybe the amounts need adjusting.

and it looks like another 30 days or a bit more to go.
I haven't grown much but this Blackberry seems slow to develop pistil color and sensi seed claim 55 - 70 days depending on pheno-type its looks more like it will be the later.

A lot of times it ends up being pretty easy to fix what look like basic problems like this one
if only the plant could talk i would give what it needs.

it might be in the nutrients you are using. Maybe the amounts need adjusting.
it could be but the first 2 weeks of flower all the leaves looked good and without any changes to nutrient.
This could be a deficiency or too much of something in nutrient mix or the area its grown in is just bad any changes i would make now would be a guess and just chasing the fix..the reason i don't want to make a change is its still flowering well i don't want to make it worst.

if only the plant could talk i would give what it needs.
Understand. Sometimes it is telling us what it needs by the leaf color, the color of the spots or blotches, etc. And most of the time it does not matter whether the plant is in coco, in a soil-less mix or in a true humus soil.

I have the feeling the same thing is happening with your plants as happens to a lot of soil users. As the plant gets further along in the flowering stage it demands more nutrients than what it is already available or being added to the water.

Through the vegetating stage and the first part of flowering the plant was getting all it needed. But once flowering starts it needs more to grow flowers, calyx, stigmas & pistils, and it is still growing a few 3-finger fan leaves though they a small plus a ton of sugar leaves. Not to mention all the growth it made during vegetating is still there and the plant has to share available nutrients with that all of that growth.

And, your mention that it looked good for awhile when you wrote.....
the first 2 weeks of flower all the leaves looked good and without any changes to nutrient
....and 2 to 4 weeks into flower is when we often see people starting to report what appear to be deficiency problems in their plants. Keep in mind that when we look at the plant in that first 2 to 4 week span of flowering we usually see an almost doubling of anything green including stems, leaves and now all the parts of the flower.

At this point I doubt it is possible to make the problem go away but the right nutrients or an increase could slow down the changes, and maybe stop them. If it works out it gives us an idea of what to expect the next grow and possibly get a jump on it and we end up with everything looking good through to the 7th or 8th week or even all the way to the end.

nute chart and the maker states to flush the medium every 1-2 weeks with plain water and i haven't once through the grow..that could be the problem.
Someplace to start. I don't think that doing a flush now would be a problem and it might help.

A photo from the side showing the entire plant so the others can see any changes in color from bottom to top. @Emilya is one of the group who is good at looking at a photo and figuring out what might be needed and @Bill284 might be able to call out to the available coco growers on ways to select or increase the nutrients if that is what could help.

Just my thoughts on what I think is happening and why.

Hey SmokingWings thanks for your informative post,
I have the feeling the same thing is happening with your plants as happens to a lot of soil users. As the plant gets further along in the flowering stage it demands more nutrients than what it is already available or being added to the water.
This is where i am using my own judgement which is probably wrong i am using less nutrient than what the maker recommends my reason is they give a nutrient ratio for a ideal growing environment and mine is way off from that for proper plant growth.

....and 2 to 4 weeks into flower is when we often see people starting to report what appear to be deficiency problems in their plants. Keep in mind that when we look at the plant in that first 2 to 4 week span of flowering we usually see an almost doubling of anything green including stems, leaves and now all the parts of the flower.
This is why i think my area is so bad the plant grows too big for the space there is little air circulation up top as soon as i close the doors humidity can rise 10%+
my next grow in a tent will have more room and air flow it should be better and using the ratio the maker recommends should improve things.
Edit: the nutrient maker i am using states at this stage of flowering to have ec 2.1 going in and mine is 0.8, i reckon 2.1 going in now would mess with it in someway.

day 43 blackberry
2.png

1.png

I won't be pruning like this again either the small branches are not needed for me the next time those branches will get cut it should help the plant with them being removed.
f.png

I might change to a automated feeding system for my next grow in the tent i can still use the nutrient i have now maybe my coco was drying out too much between feeds and that is whats creating the leaf issue if i can improve on that i'll buy a system.

I might change to a automated feeding system for my next grow in the tent i can still use the nutrient i have now maybe my coco was drying out too much between feeds and that is whats creating the leaf issue if i can improve on that i'll buy a system.
Good morning @ATHF hope everything is going good today.
Well you have exposed your prob.
I thought I mentioned these parameters before but I'll mention them again.
Coco requires a couple things that are set in stone.
Cal mag in your mix first.
Then add full strength nutrients according to the schedule.
If the ppm is too high add a little water to bring it to the right ppm.
Then lastly set your ph to 5.8 exactly every time.
Then feed every day until run off.
In flower feed twice a day if possible.
You haven't been doing this.!
Your ppms should be 900-1200 strain dependant right now.
Your at about what 450???
Your mix is off like I said much earlier. :Namaste:
And your not watering enough my friend.
A couple simple changes to your routine will keep them happy right to the end.
Make those adjustments and they will be great.

Stay safe
Bill

You haven't been doing this.!
Hey Bill i have, just my ec going in is less than recommended i might give the automated system a miss for the next grow this grow was done during summer with a fabric bag maybe the evaporation rate was too high between feeds next grow in summer i'll go back to plastic pots and just use the fabric bags for winter.

Hey Bill i have, just my ec going in is less than recommended i might give the automated system a miss for the next grow this grow was done during summer with a fabric bag maybe the evaporation rate was too high between feeds next grow in summer i'll go back to plastic pots and just use the fabric bags for winter.
Ok so bump up your ec.
And keep the coco wet.
Bags are preferred especially with coco.IMO
Since it's kept wet air exchange is critical.
I've done side by side plastic pots and bags.
Multiple runs with similar results.
Bags produce better, bigger girls.
But best I found was air pots.
Air pots , coco , bokashi and Insect frass = rocket fuel
But you can still grow decent pot in plastic.

Stay safe
Bill

And keep the coco wet
Bill i think this has been the problem with this grow and is showing in the leaf since week 2 of flower giving 3 feeds a day with runoff is not enough it needs feeds in-between to keep wet i thought it was wet enough, if i choose not to do the feeds in-between manually i will look to get a timer feed system to supplement the hand feedings.

Back
Top Bottom