Obama, The Happy Drug Warrior

420 Warrior

Why is the federal government under President Obama arguably tougher on medical marijuana operations than it was under George W. Bush? That's the question that antidrug-war groups have been asking themselves for months.

In 2008, antiprohibitionists thought an Obama administration would not tread on medical-marijuana dispensaries in states where they are legal. Obama 2008 campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt told me Obama "believes that states and local governments are best positioned to strike the balance between making sure that these policies are not abused for recreational drug use and making sure that doctors and their patients can safely access pain relief."

Now that Obama's in office, however, his Department of Justice is not allowing the 16 states that have legalized medical marijuana to self-regulate. Exactly the opposite: Last fall, U.S. attorneys in California warned landlords that they must evict medical-marijuana clubs or risk having their assets seized. In October, the Internal Revenue Service informed dispensaries that they cannot declare standard tax deductions because they are criminal enterprises.

"Drug kingpins and cartels don't file taxes. We do," Steve DeAngelo, director of medical-marijuana giant Harborside Health Center, told MSNBC. "But no business, including ours, can survive if it is taxed on its gross revenue. The IRS is trying to tax us out of existence."

On Monday, the feds raided the apartment and medical-marijuana businesses run by Richard Lee, the wheelchair-bound Oakland pro-marijuana activist, who put more than $1 million into the 2010 Proposition 19 campaign to legalize marijuana.

According to news reports, Lee's supporters came out to protest the raid, and some punctuated their point by lighting up in public. Such antics reinforce law enforcement's suspicion that recreational users are hiding behind the skirts of medical marijuana.

The thing is, Obama The Candidate said he'd let locals decide how to handle any abuses, and there is local enforcement. According to the office of California Attorney General Kamala Harris, there were 16,585 felony marijuana arrests in 2010. Some cities go after dispensaries suspected of illegal trafficking, others choose to use their resources on higher priorities. (Lee points out that Oakland police were detailed to control crowds that gathered to protest the raid on his Oaksterdam University on the day of the horrific Oikos University shootings.)

An Obama official informed me that the administration has not changed positions. The administration always maintained that federal officials have the authority - indeed, a duty under the Controlled Substances Act - to go after traffickers who use medical marijuana as a pretext to sell a drug.

But Kris Hermes, spokesman for Americans for Safe Access, sees an escalation in federal raids. "Arrests have not been made every time there's been a raid," Hermes observed. "We call them 'smash and grab.' DEA agents come in, guns drawn, ski masks even. They destroy the place. They take everything" - computers, money, plants.

This is what bothers me: The feds can use their ability to raid and to intimidate landlords without having to prove anything in court.

Lee's attorney, Laurence Jeffrey Lichter, told me U.S. Attorney Melinda Haag has not charged his client, and he hopes she will not. To Lichter, raiding without charging beats prosecuting club operators.

Hermes, however, has big issues with Obama Justice big-footing. He sees an aggressive campaign to drive medical-marijuana clubs out of business - even if that means cutting off sick people's access to the drug.

"What happens if they're successful?" Harborside's DeAngelo asked. "Cannabis doesn't go away. Medical cannabis doesn't go away." Marijuana instead goes to the street, and the money winds up with "the Mexican cartels."

"Why are such resources, at a time of fiscal crisis, being used to go after a community that has such political support?" Hermes asked. One factor, no doubt is that Attorney General Eric "Holder and Obama have basically been given a free ride by the mainstream media, and no one's really holding them to account."

Rep. Ron Paul - the GOP presidential candidate who opposes Washington's war on drugs - spoke with The Chronicle editorial board Thursday. Asked about the Oakland raids, Paul opined, it's "all political," a calculation of the sort made in election years. But it's bad politics that doesn't keep up with how the country is changing.

Last month, pollster Scott Rasmussen reported that 47 percent of Americans support legalizing marijuana to help alleviate the country's fiscal woes, while 42 percent oppose legalization.

So why is Obama the drug war's new Rambo?

Candidate Paul concluded, "I think they're out of touch."

1_40_.jpg

News Hawk - 420 Warrior 420 MAGAZINE
Source: The San Francisco Chronicle
Author: Debra J. Saunders
Copyright: © 2012 Hearst Communications Inc.

Common' guys...The feds don't need cartel money, they get more "Kickbacks" than they need from big pharma, alcohol and tobacco companies...oh, wait...Maybe they do want all the cartel money too? :scratchinghead:

I guess when they run out, they can always just print more money?...Oops, I almost forgot again, they're doing that too...? :skeptical:

Quick question for thought.
How many people have spoken out in favor for cannabis since 16 states have passed MMJ laws...? If roughly 60% of each of the 16 state's are in favor of Cannabis, How many people in the USA would this be. I bet its a HUGE number we could start flinging around in many political arguments.

Actually, what this turnaround is all about is the DEA licensing 20 pharmaceutical corporations to manufacture Sativex; which the U.S. Federal Government holds all licensing & patent rights on in our country...Which could be big money for the Fed's...One problem for them; is that MEDICAL MARIJUANA is the biggest competitor for their 'Licensed' Cannabinoid & THC products!

Holder & Obama are going back on their 'word' (which, by the way means nothing to politicians in such a case as this) simply for the purpose of Federal Profit's off of such drugs...

-And curiously enough (read this on NORML's website) somebody @ the U.S. patent office ratted them out on their patent 'claims' on CBC's, CBD's & THC...

-And, you may ask; what is it the FED's are claiming in their 'Patent'??? They are CLAIMING that CBC's, CBD's & THC hold "many prospective applications in the pharmaceutical world"; to be used as drugs to treat "Involuntary Muscle Contractions in M.S. patients", "Neuropathy symptoms in type 01 Diabetics", "Glaucoma Pateints"; that "CBD's & CBC's hold promise as anti-cancer agents" and that they show promise for "Protecting brain cells in Alzheimer & Dementia patients"!

Now how about that; and all along the DEA has refused to re-schedule Marijuana as anything other than a Class 1 substance; and keeps claiming about how "Dangerous" it is for everyone...Despite the obvious.

Meanwhile, almost a THIRD of Federal prisoners are doing time for 'Felony Possession of Marijuana....Countless lives ruined & family's broken up due to the Federal War on Marijuana...

A BIG FUCK YOU to Mr. Obama & Mr. Holder & the DEA.

Vote for NOBODY this election; or HeY; how about Ron Paul?

I think at this point, Ron Paul is the only choice...Obama's a liar, Romney won't even address medical marijuana, I saw a video of him actually deny questions from a MMJ patient in a wheelchair and ridicule him!!! And Gingrich... were fucked if he takes over... He is a complete POS...!! the only thing I don't like about Ron Paul is his "Ostrich head in the ground" approach to foreign policy.... just a little scary. But overall, Ron Paul is the only one who even recognizes the constitution and what this country stands for...So far I think he is going to be the only option..

Quick question for thought.
How many people have spoken out in favor for cannabis since 16 states have passed MMJ laws...? If roughly 60% of each of the 16 state's are in favor of Cannabis, How many people in the USA would this be. I bet its a HUGE number we could start flinging around in many political arguments.

It's not enough. In regards to medical cannabis, if we want the feds to cool the raids, we need more states to pass medical cannabis laws. If 50% of the states had medical cannabis laws, I believe things would be differenet. This is one of the reason that the prohibition of alcohol ended. Many states passed their own laws about prohibition and told the feds they would have the responsiblity of enforcement in their state. The Feds could not manage that many states.

I think at this point, Ron Paul is the only choice...Obama's a liar, Romney won't even address medical marijuana, I saw a video of him actually deny questions from a MMJ patient in a wheelchair and ridicule him!!! And Gingrich... were fucked if he takes over... He is a complete POS...!! the only thing I don't like about Ron Paul is his "Ostrich head in the ground" approach to foreign policy.... just a little scary. But overall, Ron Paul is the only one who even recognizes the constitution and what this country stands for...So far I think he is going to be the only option..

A vote for Ron Paul, is a vote for Romney. Do you like the way Romney thinks about medical cannabis. I think he'll be worse than Obama but I agree Obama has been bad too.

Don't yell at me too bad folks. I see and understand what you guys are saying but do you really think Paul even has a chance. Every time I see the media talk about the ones running, most of the time Paul is not even mentioned. As much as everyone hates Obama, I think I'd rather go with him than anyone else that is running. Seeing Romney or Gingrich in office just scares the hell out of me.

Don't yell at me too bad folks. I see and understand what you guys are saying but do you really think Paul even has a chance. Every time I see the media talk about the ones running, most of the time Paul is not even mentioned. As much as everyone hates Obama, I think I'd rather go with him than anyone else that is running. Seeing Romney or Gingrich in office just scares the hell out of me.

He has as much of chance the Green Party nominee Rosanne Bar. Yes! That Roseanne Bar. I'm with you on Romney and Gingrich.

Back
Top Bottom