Odd twisted new growth on a little 3 week old seedling

Zephyrs

So this little hybrid feminized Cherry 18 is 3 weeks old tomorrow. She indoors under a 100+ watt LED. In a organic living soil. Temps are 69-80 degrees F. Humidity is 33-50%. No nutes yet, as her 5 gallon pot was already pre amended generously with a tablespoon of organic nutes and worm castings. She was transplanted about 10 days ago and took off like a rocket. I Have Had a fungas knat problem from the get go.

So I followed the advice of @BakedARea, and did a soil drench of mosquito bits that soaked in a quart of water 24 hours. I watered with that, as she was thirsty and due for a watering. I did that 2 days ago.

So my issue is with the new growth is shooting up fast. But kinda twisted like. Is it possible it is damage from fungas knats larvae or adult flies? She is Not over watered, that I know from picking up the whole pot. Here's a few Pictures of Her Currently. Any helpful advice would be Greatly appreciated! Thanks All and Good Day To All!!:bongrip::420:
20211230_133958.jpg
20211230_134039.jpg
20211230_134019.jpg
20211230_134021.jpg

Looks perfectly fine to me. Let the leaves grow out a bit further, I bet they’ll be ok.
Thanks Much @Phytoplankton! I'm hoping it is just a case of rapid growth. And not the Damn Fungas knats that I've been battling. I'll watch closely and report back in a couple days. Maybe I just a Parionoid Pot Parent. LOL :bongrip:

can't imagine what you see wrong with that plant,, nice job

can't imagine what you see wrong with that plant,, nice job
I'll just give her a couple days. Thanks for the nice compliment. I just worried the freaking fungas knats messed her up.. She just starting out though. Maybe in a couple more weeks of healthy growth she will start growing Horizontal on a screen O Green!!

maybe it looks low cuz it's a bit low in that pot,,

I just worried the freaking fungas knats messed her up..

Fungus gnats have no interest in leaves, the larvae will eat the roots, and usually occur in soil that is being overwatered. Most times in mature plants they are not too destructive (unless it's a massive infestation). But it can be problematic in seedlings. They are pretty easy to get rid of/control.

Fungus gnats have no interest in leaves, the larvae will eat the roots, and usually occur in soil that is being overwatered. Most times in mature plants they are not too destructive (unless it's a massive infestation). But it can be problematic in seedlings. They are pretty easy to get rid of/cocontrol.
Thanks @Phytoplankton! Yeah I gave her that mosquito bits soil drench 3 days ago. And have only seen a couple flying ones since. So I feel it might have worked. I do know that a bad larvae infestation can cause harm to new growth. That's what I was worried about. But she is growing rapidly still though. I will let the plants roots lighten the pot for a couple days (consume water in soil already) and see where I'm at. It hasn't gotten worse since yesterday, and she did grow a bit over night!

I do know that a bad larvae infestation can cause harm to new growth.
Fungus Gnat larvae do not attack or eat the leaves but if allowed to get out of control they can do so much damage to the younger and tender roots that the new growth slows down and sometimes stops.

Those Mosquito Bits work great. I like using them better than the Mosquito Dunks by the same company. Plus once put on the soil they keep releasing some of the Bti for weeks every time the plant is watered.

Fungus Gnat larvae do not attack or eat the leaves but if allowed to get out of control they can do so much damage to the younger and tender roots that the new growth slows down and sometimes stops.

Those Mosquito Bits work great. I like using them better than the Mosquito Dunks by the same company. Plus once put on the soil they keep releasing some of the Bti for weeks every time the plant is watered.
Both the bits and dunks work well. Be careful with the runoff water. I know dunks are very toxic to dogs.

Looks perfectly fine to me. Let the leaves grow out a bit further, I bet they’ll be ok.
So it's been a few days. She hasn't skipped a beat growing wise. That odd twisted growth grew more but still looks a little funky. The newest growth is just fine.
20220102_092429.jpg
20220102_092401.jpg

So it's been a few days. She hasn't skipped a beat growing wise. That odd twisted growth grew more but still looks a little funky. The newest growth is just fine.
20220102_092429.jpg
20220102_092401.jpg
Your humidity seems a bit low to me. Have you seen a VPD chart before?
Do you have good air circulation?

57087E60-D0DA-4566-85F2-2C328A9497B0.jpeg

Your humidity seems a bit low to me. Have you seen a VPD chart before?
Do you have good air circulation?

57087E60-D0DA-4566-85F2-2C328A9497B0.jpeg
Yes I have been struggling with low humidity. I can't seem to get it up past 50%. My temps are OK. But short of putting an air humidifier in there IDK. And I'm still trying to decipher those VPD charts LOL. I also do have a small fan running 24/7 so airflow is OK to. So maybe my soil is just still to wet towards the bottom of the pot. IDK we'll see.

*Hello Z - here's a slightly different take...
The medium is N rich which the plants is absorbing, the central leathering of bottom leaves tells you that
There may not be enough of the other requirements for the plant to use it all quickly enough though, which is why the new growth is perhaps trying to grow rapidly but doesn't have the balance of Ca, Mg, P, K + micros
The leaf edges are just beginning to discolour lower down also
Maybe a CaMg + PK rinse to balance the castings hotspots in the medium?
I wouldn't be worried though, she will sort herself out and looks great for a young plant
*Oops, Dutch Kush again :cool:

Yes I have been struggling with low humidity. I can't seem to get it up past 50%. My temps are OK. But short of putting an air humidifier in there IDK. And I'm still trying to decipher those VPD charts LOL. I also do have a small fan running 24/7 so airflow is OK to. So maybe my soil is just still to wet towards the bottom of the pot. IDK we'll see.
Put an oversized bit of capillary matting under your pots - it will draw out any excess water and evaporate it for you to raise humidity, and also store moisture in reserve so the roots don't dry

*Hello Z - here's a slightly different take...
The medium is N rich which the plants is absorbing, the central leathering of bottom leaves tells you that
There may not be enough of the other requirements for the plant to use it all quickly enough though, which is why the new growth is perhaps trying to grow rapidly but doesn't have the balance of Ca, Mg, P, K + micros
The leaf edges are just beginning to discolour lower down also
Maybe a CaMg + PK rinse to balance the castings hotspots in the medium?
I wouldn't be worried though, she will sort herself out and looks great for a young plant
*Oops, Dutch Kush again :cool:
That a great point that you make @Growings. She is pretty loaded with nitrogen. I might have over did it by adding more worm castings to an already Loaded super soil. I added everything about 2 weeks before I transplanted. So it just might be to hot.

It makes more sense how you said it. So basically it could be a slight form of nute lockout? As there is plenty of ca/mag also.. But maybe not enough P/K, and that's throwing her off a bit??

Put an oversized bit of capillary matting under your pots - it will draw out any excess water and evaporate it for you to raise humidity, and also store moisture in reserve so the roots don't dry
Great tip! Will do! Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about the RH, my latest grow never got above 55% RH and did just fine, and when it goes into flower you want lower RH to combat bud rot. As far as lockout, I don't see it. Don't over analyze it, they look just fine, maybe a little too much N, but just cut back a hair and you'll be fine. You are going to want to re-pot them pretty soon. Here's my grow, never got above 55% RH, about 4 weeks into flower, Northern Lights and Do Si Do's, all autos.

IMG_2149 (1).JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

I wouldn't worry too much about the RH, my latest grow never got above 55% RH and did just fine, and when it goes into flower you want lower RH to combat bud rot. As far as lockout, I don't see it. Don't over analyze it, they look just fine, maybe a little too much N, but just cut back a hair and you'll be fine. You are going to want to re-pot them pretty soon. Here's my grow, never got above 55% RH, about 4 weeks into flower, Northern Lights and Do Si Do's, all autos.

IMG_2149 (1).JPG

IMG_2150.JPG
OK I'm going to just let her ride. And you're right @Phytoplankton, over analyzing does lead to unnecessary paranoia sometimes LOL! I need to Re-read the manual on the K.I.S.S method I suppose :) Pretty looking Auto's ya got there. Last year I ran some NL Auto's from Fastbuds and they turned out great!

Back
Top Bottom