Old virgin

TheDarkMidge

I'm a middle aged guy. I work for the US govt as a contractor for part of the DOD as a computer nerd. I've enjoyed cannabis on and off since I was a teenager. Never attempted to grow it though. I live in IL just over the border from St Louis. Due to my govt clearance I keep my activities on the down low. IL is set to legalize cannabis for recreational use probably before the year is up. Rather than buy it I would rather learn how to grow it myself. I tend to enjoy doing things myself and taking care of myself and my loved ones. I have medicinal uses for it and I simply enjoy it if it's good cannabis. The Mexican ditch weed they sell on the streets I want no part of. I want high quality medical grade cannabis or I'd rather not use it at all.

I've done a little research and need to do a lot more. My initial thought is to buy a grow tent from Mars along with all the other necessary equipment. Mars appears to be a top notch outfit from what I've seen. I'm only interested in growing for my own personal use. The room I'll be using for the tent has a 80" ceiling and is in a basement that is dry and cool all year round. I'd estimate the basement stays around 72 in the summer and 68 in the winter. In the room I'll have access to a chimney for venting and also access to outside air via a nearby window vent. I currently only have one regular outlet in the room so I figure I'll need additional electricity put in. Any idea how much? I'd like to grow year round. I have the need for stealth since I work for the FEDERAL govt albiet as a contractor. I'd also like to stick with strains that are under 70" in height. I have a lot of other choices of rooms I could use a tent in but I thought due to the ventilation options the basement room I chose would be best.

So here are a few more questions I have so far. Say I want to grow 2 or 3 plants at a time. Yeah, probably more than I need but have a question on it anyway. Can I grow 3 different strains in the same tent at the same time? I'm assuming not due to the flowering time of the different strains. I need a size of tent that isn't going to cost me a ton but is big enough for say 2, maybe 3 plants at a time. I don't intend on increasing my grow at any time in the future. Keep in mind I need to keep them under 70" ideally but could go up to 80". A couple of strains I picked out so far are Northern Lights and CBD Dutch Dream. Both say they are easy to grow and are short in height. I'm also looking for a strain that will produce effects like Durban Poison but without being 90" tall. Any suggestions? So far I've not been able to get a clear idea of what size tent I need. Can you help me with that? Are most strains pretty much the same on temp and humidity they require or do they vary greatly from strain to strain?

Your answers, tips, suggestions and questions are welcome. I'm looking forward to being involved in this forum and learning everything I can about growing cannabis for my personal use.

Thanks,
D

Welcome to 420, for 2 or 3 plants a 4x4 would serve you well. Get the tallest tent you can use in your 80” space. A couple of members are doing King Tut which is Sativa Dominant and it looks like a yielder. I usually run multiple plants in the same tent.

Also, you can keep a cannabis plant pretty short by training.....something you should research when starting....

Also, auto-flowering seeds are a great idea if you want to have a perpetual grow and not change the light schedule....

Just some ideas to consider.....

Welcome to our little virtual village :welcome:

Hope you stick around and participate. You will get much more benefit if you spend some time reading journals and asking questions..... most growers will gladly answer questions about their growing prowess.

I hope to see you here.....:thumb:

Welcome!

Sounds like you have an awesome place to grow and just need the tools.

Any 4x4 tent from the Zon will work for you. It will give you plenty of working/growing space for 2-3 plants.

You can get a million different opinions on lights here, but 2x popular sponsors are @TimberGrowLights and @GROWant. They offer different prices and sizes...but both get good reviews from members here.

I have grown both those strains you mentioned above and I thought they were ok...I personally have moved on to other strains offered by 420 sponsor @SeedsMan . If you look their website you can choose height of plants in the search criteria. as well as many other traits (such as thc%, indoor/outdoor, breeder, etc). They have a huge selection of regular, feminized, and autos. First grow I would recommend either a feminized or auto...but not together (different lighting schedule).

Temp and humidity...sounds like your basement temps are ideal so congrats there! Humidity is generally desirable at >50%+ for vegging and <50% for flowering...but not a deal breaker overall. You will need a small oscillating fan to keep the air moving to avoid mold issues (plus plants like it). If you go with an LED light and a fan, one outlet sounds fine.

Lastly choose your growing medium. I am a soil grower, and I prefer larger pots if possible. I use 7 or 10 gallon fabric pots for indoor grows. You can get high quality bag soil (Fox Farm, Happy Frog, Coast of Maine Stonington mix, etc) and a quart of Big Bloom for additional nutrients boost (if they need it).

You can definitely do this easily and end up with a killer product. During the grow you can continue to read up on harvesting and curing as well. Start a grow journal so that others can follow and provide assistance....that is super valuable. Include lots of pics and you will get a lot of constructive support.

Get on it!

:goodluck:

Welcome!

Sounds like you have an awesome place to grow and just need the tools.

Any 4x4 tent from the Zon will work for you. It will give you plenty of working/growing space for 2-3 plants.

You can get a million different opinions on lights here, but 2x popular sponsors are @TimberGrowLights and @GROWant. They offer different prices and sizes...but both get good reviews from members here.

I have grown both those strains you mentioned above and I thought they were ok...I personally have moved on to other strains offered by 420 sponsor @SeedsMan . If you look their website you can choose height of plants in the search criteria. as well as many other traits (such as thc%, indoor/outdoor, breeder, etc). They have a huge selection of regular, feminized, and autos. First grow I would recommend either a feminized or auto...but not together (different lighting schedule).

Temp and humidity...sounds like your basement temps are ideal so congrats there! Humidity is generally desirable at >50%+ for vegging and <50% for flowering...but not a deal breaker overall. You will need a small oscillating fan to keep the air moving to avoid mold issues (plus plants like it). If you go with an LED light and a fan, one outlet sounds fine.

Lastly choose your growing medium. I am a soil grower, and I prefer larger pots if possible. I use 7 or 10 gallon fabric pots for indoor grows. You can get high quality bag soil (Fox Farm, Happy Frog, Coast of Maine Stonington mix, etc) and a quart of Big Bloom for additional nutrients boost (if they need it).

You can definitely do this easily and end up with a killer product. During the grow you can continue to read up on harvesting and curing as well. Start a grow journal so that others can follow and provide assistance....that is super valuable. Include lots of pics and you will get a lot of constructive support.

Get on it!

:goodluck:
Thanks, great info. One issue around here in the late summer to early autumn is the high temps 90+ and high humidity >70%. Mold loves to grown around these parts. I think I'd have to severely limit the amount of time I bring in outside air or as some of you know it "fresh" air. Warmer times of the year have a great deal of mold in the air around here. It's actually one of the worst places in the country for allergies. So with that said I think I'd opt for bringing in the nice cool low humidity air and at times when it needs more humidity a shorter period of outside air would probably suffice I'm thinking.

So what I'm thinking about getting is something that the indoor cultivator store here sells along with tons of other places you can buy it, is a Mars tent. It's going to get expensive with the Mars LED lights but they last longer and use less energy. They are also made specifically for the Mars tent if you believe that marketing point. I'm told the best way to go is with a 4' x 4' x 6 1/2' tent. The LED's I'm told to use are like $500 bucks though but they're the best. Maybe I could get by a little cheaper.

Also considering the 2' x 4' x 70" tent. Cheaper and I bet I could fit 3 plants in there with the right lighting.

I haven't checked out many strains. The seed place I went too was seriously lacking in strains. I'll try out the place you mentioned.

I'll be growing in soil for sure. I hear the taste, smell, quality is all better with soil. I'd grow outside if I could.

I'll definitely look into the stuff you mentioned and anyone with any other suggestions feel free to offer them.

Thanks, great info. One issue around here in the late summer to early autumn is the high temps 90+ and high humidity >70%. Mold loves to grown around these parts. I think I'd have to severely limit the amount of time I bring in outside air or as some of you know it "fresh" air. Warmer times of the year have a great deal of mold in the air around here. It's actually one of the worst places in the country for allergies. So with that said I think I'd opt for bringing in the nice cool low humidity air and at times when it needs more humidity a shorter period of outside air would probably suffice I'm thinking.

So what I'm thinking about getting is something that the indoor cultivator store here sells along with tons of other places you can buy it, is a Mars tent. It's going to get expensive with the Mars LED lights but they last longer and use less energy. They are also made specifically for the Mars tent if you believe that marketing point. I'm told the best way to go is with a 4' x 4' x 6 1/2' tent. The LED's I'm told to use are like $500 bucks though but they're the best. Maybe I could get by a little cheaper.

Most people start off with something a little cheaper and move up when they can justify the greater expense. At first, when you are torturing plants, you may think that expensive (light, hydro system, insert other item here) was not worth the expense. Growing can be addictive, so be prepared.......

You can get by with cheaper. There are people who grow with very little investment. Just know, if you get hooked, the pieces will probably get upgraded.

Don't max the card right out of the gate..... ;)

For a Mars 4x4x80" tent and up to 4 plants which of these lights would you recommend?

Mars pro II Epistar 320
Mars II 1600
Mars reflector 192
Mars pro II Cree 256

For a Mars 4x4x80" tent and up to 4 plants which of these lights would you recommend?

Mars pro II Epistar 320
Mars II 1600
Mars reflector 192
Mars pro II Cree 256
I would purchase the Pro II Epistar 320

It gives more than 35w per square foot to your space (wall wattage), which is the calculation for a gram of dried product per watt. You will have 46w per foot (wall wattage), which will put you at a good power level.

It also isn't the most expensive.

If those were my choices....the 320 would be my choice.....

This is only my opinion.....

That's a hell of a light! I'd love to have it but I think I'll start off with the 192 or 256.

You can start off with less..... not a problem.... the 192 is a good light at well..... Much cheaper for the first buy....

What do you all to with your plants once they've been harvested? You get rid of them and start from seed again or is there some sort of pruning that is done and the cycle of blooming repeats?

What do you all to with your plants once they've been harvested? You get rid of them and start from seed again or is there some sort of pruning that is done and the cycle of blooming repeats?
Well, if they are auto-flowering....I compost them and start again from seed.

If photo-period you can reveg and bloom again. Or have a mother plant and clone for flowering plants.

Those are the typical methods.

For my initial setup should I simply use a good soil or should I buy additives and such as well? It's indoor in a tent so bugs shouldn't be a problem. Outside air could present mold problems since mold is in high concentrations around here but the grow room is not humid at all, just the outside air which I will probably limit.

Also is 4" ducting sufficient for a 4x4x80" tent? Will vent out a chimney and use an inline fan and carbon filter. It's an old 100yr+ farm house 1 1/2 stories so chimney outlet is pretty high up.

One more question. When/how do I get access to post in other forums?

Thanks!

I'm creating a list of equipment/parts/accessories needed for my first grow of 4 plants. This is what I have so far. Left prices off as I may get some things locally and others via online.

Parts needed:
Grow tent 4x4x80” Mars
LED grow light 196 Mars
DuraBreeze Inline Fan 4" 171 cfm
Blueprint Controllers Fan Speed Controller
DuraBreeze Ducting 25'
DuraBreeze Lite Carbon Filter 4x16 225 cfm
Fabric Pots
Soil Fox Farm
Seeds

Optional accessories

Mars smell proof bag