Outdoor Grow With Early Pre-flowers And Still Getting 14 Hours Daylight

Seniorweeder

Hey my Grow Friends, This is my first attempt at an outdoor grow since the 70's. I had it outside but she is getting crowded by a bigger plant next to it so I decide to bring her indoors for the rest of it's life. I will put her out every day on the deck then bring it in at night, we have tons of humidity here so I can hopefully save it from molding by bringing it in at night.

The strain is called Black Water, I believe it is more Sativa. I have kept it in a 3 gallon soft pot to control it's size. I thought it would be later in September or so when we get back to days with 12 or less hours of daylight for it to start showing signs of flowering. I will say that it only gets about 4/5 hours of direct light where it was, but was still in light all day. Is this normal? Also, I can control the light now by putting it in a dark bathroom for 12 hours each night if that's what I should do to keep her moving in the right direction? Thanks as always folks!

BW Plant 7-20-21.JPG

BW Preflower 7-20-21.JPG

Looking nice, I would not worry about the early flower. I have 4 outdoor plants that are now doing the same, one just started today. One of mine is even further along than what you show. My concern however is bud rot over time. I'll be interested in what others say.

defo not rocket scientist here,

I’m not outdoors grower but plants should be triggered to flower fairly soon, there a portion of dawn & dusk each day that are still dark enough to count as night - if you will. As you know preflowers are sign of sexual maturity. My understanding is outdoors they can begin to flower with a bit more than 12 hours of daylight. Believe shes all sexed up now and waiting on hormones to go full bore.

sativas can run long so might want to upcan, I’m thinking I would lollipop lowers and leave it on the deck until later in season and then reevaluate, maybe put large smart pot on piece of plywood with caster plant dolly under it. also wettable sulfur is essential plant element, miticide, treats rust, prevents pm and it can be foliar sprayed….

Guess I should have asked this first - how long have you been bringing her indoors at night??

But with this said - I’m anxious to hear what else comes in and happy to be corrected if I’m wrong

looks nice - think @Pat Puffer is a Blackwater aficionado

@013 and any one else, Should you start flowering nutes at this time or wait till it goes to full flower? I have been doing both Veg and Flowering nutes for now.

I was watching a show where a guy had been doing breeding for 16 years, he said he learns new things every day. I am also by no means an expert, like you I have read a lot and still learning. I think you are a good sounding board with what you do know and respect your opinion. I know enough not to panic... LOL... Worry Ohhh Yes.. :rofl: What I have been doing when this started...
Feed Flower nutes
Then next feeding the veg nutes
Next just water if no rain and rotate.

I now have 4 in pre flower I have been doing the same thing with. So far it has been doing good.

Thanks, yes same here I learn something new every time. Appreciate you being here to help out too Morda, you give good thoughtful answers and it makes a difference. Not every question needs a grow master and some need to hear it 2 or 3 times from different people before they take it seriously. Just want to help take the load off the ones that get constantly hammered with the 101 & 102 questions, cuz 103 level is way above my pay grade!

hmm thats interesting rotating between veg & flower nutes might have to tinker with that later when I get plants to that stage again…. 2020 & first part of this year was critter fest here so I’m now retooled with beneficial predators and kicking off new beans finally.

I don't mind the simple, I was there once myself. I have grown a plant here and a plant there over the years, nothing like what I'm doing now that it is legal here. Indoor and outdoor grows are two differant animals. Just like what you choose for a media to grow in. However there is a lot that crosses over too. As far as the nute's... my thinking is it in a middle ground for nutes. With an outdoor grow you can not a "Flip" like an indoor. It just made sense to add some of both till it starts going into full flower.

I harvested my blackwater in early October and let her go 8 weeks and she was the best balanced smoke ever.

Look at the buds to tell you when they are done.

Yes you can start to do light dep(rivation) by placing her in a dark room for 12 then just leave her outdoors mid August or keep up the plant "jockeying" by moving them. I have successfully flowered tester seeds like this. :thumb:

I wanna grow outdoors but not possible here right now unless stealth so yeah. But sounds like a very soft flip waiting on that magical point with shorter days for hormones to get triggered over. This was supposed to be my first outdoor stealth until garden hit the wall of pests…. Ugggghhhh
The house I'm in now has no basement and the cost of lighting and heating in my outbuildings is just not in our buget. So, I kinda have the opposite problem. I have been very lucky not to have an infestation that was bad. My biggest issue where I am is a large variety of leaf hoppers and spiders. The spiders have been guarding the plants and eating hoppers. :D We had a bad season of army worms early spring. They are mostly turned into moths now. Other than that, just dialing in my nutes I have to work with. Pests IMO are harder to deal with inside. You have less chance but, when they hit, it can be a very fast devastating hit. I'm going to have to deal with different issues next year. The high Tunnel is more of a outdoor/indoor hybrid grow. I will have to go back to and follow a strick watering style (no rain) as well as more risk of heat, humidity and mold.

I harvested my blackwater in early October and let her go 8 weeks and she was the best balanced smoke ever.

Look at the buds to tell you when they are done.

Yes you can start to do light dep(rivation) by placing her in a dark room for 12 then just leave her outdoors mid August or keep up the plant "jockeying" by moving them. I have successfully flowered tester seeds like this. :thumb:
You are the "MAN", that answer about the light/ dark timing and movement is the answer I was looking for. Thanks a ton my grow friend!

You are the "MAN", that answer about the light/ dark timing and movement is the answer I was looking for. Thanks a ton my grow friend!
Also , what is your nute regimen for this strain, as far as when I should start adding any Bloom/Flower stuff. So far she has been grown in my go to, "Fox Farm Coco-loco" with only adding Cal-mag on occasion!

I am a super soil organic guy. If you check my 2020 journal...

You will see I experimented with only running an All Purpose (emulsion, kelp, and molasses) on the BlackWater and she did well but her buds weren't dense.

If I had my druthers, I would had top dressed some bird/bat guano on the soil at the start of flowering.

I am finding all our plants here are loving a homemade brew of emulsion (4 Tbsp) molasses (3 Tbsp) and liquid kelp (1-2 Tbsp) and mix and apply. I dilute that concoction over 3 gallons of water and give it to everything from tomatoes to avocados to cannabis. I use it once every 2 weeks and add epsom salt between the feedings. Is it the best? Probably not, but all our plants and trees are lush green and showing explosive growth. So I will stick with it.

For cocoloco? I am clueless. Does your feed need to be pH'd to keep with the coco required pH? Your lady looks lovely and doesn't seem to be lacking anything.

As much as I am in to the super soil thing, I am liking the minimalist approach I am doing now.

What nutrients do you presently have at your disposal?

I am a super soil organic guy. If you check my 2020 journal...

You will see I experimented with only running an All Purpose (emulsion, kelp, and molasses) on the BlackWater and she did well but her buds weren't dense.

If I had my druthers, I would had top dressed some bird/bat guano on the soil at the start of flowering.

I am finding all our plants here are loving a homemade brew of emulsion (4 Tbsp) molasses (3 Tbsp) and liquid kelp (1-2 Tbsp) and mix and apply. I dilute that concoction over 3 gallons of water and give it to everything from tomatoes to avocados to cannabis. I use it once every 2 weeks and add epsom salt between the feedings. Is it the best? Probably not, but all our plants and trees are lush green and showing explosive growth. So I will stick with it.

For cocoloco? I am clueless. Does your feed need to be pH'd to keep with the coco required pH? Your lady looks lovely and doesn't seem to be lacking anything.

As much as I am in to the super soil thing, I am liking the minimalist approach I am doing now.

What nutrients do you presently have at your disposal?
Your stuff looks great, and just "WOW" to your last years outdoor grow, those shrubs are simply amazing friend! I have been using/doing well with the F.F. stuff I mentioned so far for my indoor as as well as outdoor grows for an easy no hassle grow medium.

U asked about what nutes I have,,,, I used Advanced Nutrients 3 part "Micro/Grow/Bloom" stuff thru the veg cycle on my indoor "Auto's" last Winter and used their "Big Bud" product during later flowering, and got some good results I felt. For some reason I feel a bit confused with moving a photo plant in and out along with the amount of dark hours and what nutes to use. Maybe I'm just over thinking it all! Thanks so much for your time on this subject Grow Friend!

Back
Top Bottom