Papa Stirnz - Soil - Northern Lights Grow Journal 2015

Papa Stirnz

Hi everyone. This will be my 2nd. indoor grow. My first grow did not turn out as I hoped it would so I am going to start a journal for this grow. Looking for all and any help, advice, criticism and/or spiritual advice.:thumb:
Here are the highlights for this grow:

What strain is it? Northern Lights
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? 100% Indica
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? Put 2 clones in soil Aug. 5. will prob call Aug 12 first day of veg.
If in Veg... For how long?
If in Flower stage... For how long?
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Happy Frog and perlite, 65% to 35%
If soil... What size pot? Placed clones in 1 gal pot, will transfer later to 10 gal pot
Size of light? Veg- T5 (8-54W) Flower- Hortilux Super HPS 1000W
Is it aircooled? Yes 6" inline fan 435 cfm
Temp of Room/cab? 70F-80F
RH of Room/cab? 50-60 (room is controlled by de-humidifier)
PH of media or res? Unknown
Any Pests ? No
How often are you watering? As needed
Type and strength of ferts used? Will be using entire line of Fox Farms Nutrients. Also using a CO2 supplement.

Put these two Northern Lights clones in soil on Aug. 5.
20150809_140703.jpg

I am looking forward to the all the advice and help any one can provide.

Hi again. Will be growing 2 Northern Lights girls on the recommendation of another grower. I had a tough time on my first grow and he said this strain would be a forgiving one for me. I know its old school, but it is classic old school and I cant wait to taste it again.
So the plan is to veg for 6 weeks. Topping twice, using LST and possible super cropping. From what I have read flowering could last 45-55 days. One of the big lessons learned in my first grow is to let the plant tell you what is needed so I wont be holding these time frames as "gospel". Will harvest when trichomes are 90% cloudy.
I planted clones into soil on Aug. 5 and covered them in plastics domes. ( 2l d. coke and a hawain punch 1gal) Kept the domes sprayed with 6.5 ph water and put them on an 18/6 light regiment. Aug 12 showed new growth(see pics) so am calling this day 1st. day of veg. Watered root base for first time (ph 6.5) Used 1 qt. of water, seemed to much , probably about 30% run off.
5446.jpeg

nortern_lights_20151.jpg

20150811_163905.jpg

Looking for advice on when I can start topping. How long is recovery time in between toppings?
Once again I am looking forward to chatting with a few growers, any advice or info you would like to turn me onto will be greatly appreciated. Peace,
Pappa Stirnz

Am using the Fox Farms nutrient line. Where this is is my first year growing inside (my second grow indoors), I grew outside the 2 previous years. I was able to mix full strength nutrients and the plants loved it with no nutrient burns or ill affects. So I mix the same for my 1st. indoor grow and burn the HELL out of the poor girls. Lessoned learned. With that being said I went and bought a ppm pen and tested a full strength recipe with my city water and found it to be about 20% ppm more than recommended. Through experimentation of different recipes I came up with 84% to full strength was bringing the ppm to just below the lower recommended range. I know this isnt exact science but it gives me a starting point. I will always check the batch with my ppm pen as not to give a "hot dose".
Today was "first feeding" day. 1 1/4 tsp. of FF Big Bloom to/ 1 quart of H2O ph'd to 6.5. ppm 330. Mixed up a foliar spray: 1/2 tsp. Bushdoctors Flowers Kiss to/ 1 quart of H2O ph'd to 6.5. Applied with feeding. Will spray 2/ week. Already messed up though....sprayed with lights blazing...should have sprayed during down time.
Meant to note: Northern Lights A- 4", Northern Lights B- 6".
Fox_Farms_Schedule.jpg
Nutrients_20151.jpg
Nutrients_2015.jpg

Checking out your journal...You got your ducks in a row this time round :goodjob:

That does seem like a lot of water for new clones. I water seedlings with 10 oz. of water in a gallon pot, then as they mature I give 20 oz. and work up to a liter or wherever they are comfortable. I let the pot dry out before each watering too. During flower they seem to slow down on the uptake and I'm watering less often. I think it depends on the strain, because I read other journals and people are watering by the gallons. The plants I'm growing are all Mexican and like a dry desert soil, I've been testing this on a couple plants I have outdoors in gallon pots. I noticed they hardly drink any water, according to my moisture meter and I can't remember when I last watered one of them, lol.
The stems look thin to me, if you have a small fan you could blow air on them to thicken.
Topping? I don't know, maybe wait a few weeks to let some roots build up?

Subbed :goodjob:

Whats up Cruizer?! Right on!:thumb: to that idea on the trays. I emptied the catch trays after feeding just for that reason. Fans are a-blowin so lets hope that toughens them stems up. I appreciate you stopping in. Am reading your - Purple Strain Bag Seed. as we speek. Peace

Aug. 18: Applied 2nd. application of foliar spray. This time i sprayed when lights were out. Note the white residue on leaves. I believe this is from my first time using foliar spray on plants with lights on. Another live and learn. see pics.
B_Top_View_Day_8.jpg

A_Top_Image.jpg

Aug. 19: Day 8 Soil was dry. Watered both girls. ph'd to 6.5. Thinking topping could be soon. I am very new to this technique so will be doing a lot of reading and researching. If anyone would like to look at these pics and tell me what they think.
Northern_Lights_B_Day_8.jpg

A_Day_8.jpg

Aug. 19: Day 8 Measurements- N. Lights A: 6.5"(+ 2.5"). N. Lights B: 8.5"(+ 2.5").
My reasoning for keeping measurements is to chart the weekly growth of each plant and I am bored. :volcano-smiley:

Aug. 22, Day 11: Both girls are looking healthy. Soil is dry and also time for a feeding. We are in Week 1 of the Fox Farms feeding schedule. 1 1/4 tsp FF Big Bloom + 3/4 tsp. Bush Doctor's Boomerang + 24 oz. ( lowered amt. of H2O from 32 oz. to 24 oz.). ph'd to 6.5. Plan on topping tomorrow.
Day_1114.jpg

Hi again. Day 13. Both girls seem healthy and fine and growing like weeds.:love: With that said decided to top them. First time ever for doing this technique. I think I pulled it off. Time will tell. A few pics of each girl's toppings.
Northern Lights A
nl_a_top_1.jpg

nl_a_top_2.jpg

nl_a_top_3.jpg

Nothern Lights B
nl_b_top_1.jpg

nl_b_top_2.jpg

nl_b_top_3.jpg

Aug. 26, Day 15: Will measure today. This weeks measurement minus last weeks measurement equals growth for week.
Northern Lights "A": 10"- 6.5" = 3.5 ". That is a 54% growth rate. Northern Lights "B": 12" - 8.5" = 3.5". That is a 41% growth rate.
Day_18_measurements_A.jpg

Day_18_measurements_B.jpg

Aug. 28, Day 17: Time for feeding. My original thought of running nutes at 84% to full strength was running over recommended ppm. amt. so went to about 65% and ppm came in 85% to recommended minimum. Recipe for todays brew: 1 tsp. Big bloom + 3/8 tsp. Grow Big +1/4 tsp. Boomerang + 1/8 tsp. Kangaroots + 1/8 tsp. Microbe Brew + 24 oz. H2O. Northern Lights "A": ppm - 880, ph'd 6.4. Northern Lights "B": ppm - 890, ph'd 6.5.
Week_2_Nutes.jpg

Hope all is well in your world.

Is this grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom