PH drops significantly only two weeks into veg

Agreed! That's the spirt of the forum, and how progress is made!

The chart looks good, though to be honest, I never use EC (I go by PPM).
According to blue labs ec is just a conversation piece . For more accurate numbers ppm is the way to go .

I didn’t see no poking , I see useful information and I thank you for sharing. What you did is what 420 Magazine is about sharing . I like the chart also , I also use the hydro bible that @Rexer put in post 7 of this thread . What do you think of the hydro bible?
The hydro bible is what I call the Wonder Chart. Didn't know about that name. The source, as best I can tell, is from a text message on another site in 2012. I'd like to see it posted somewhere as a "sticky" so that people can find it easily.

Now, to answer your question…

I use it religiously. I believe that the information is valid and that approach to growing suits my personality and my profession. I write software for a living so I'm really comfortable with "If this then that".

EC and PPM are the different sides of the same coin. A TDS meter measures electrical conductivity and then converts the result to PPM. PPM is expressed in two scales 500 PPM = 1 EC or 700 PPM = 1 EC. PPM is more accurate but you have to ensure that you state which scale is being used. In contrast, EC could be argued to be "close enough" in most situations and, since there's no conversion and since there's no need to state which scale is being used, it's harder to muck up.

You can muck up PPM, though. :cool:

I switched to EC for my photo grow, the grow I did in 2017. When I started the grow, I was using Fox Farms and I followed their recommendations accurately…so I thought. FF uses the 700 PPM scale but I was using the 500 PPM scale. That sucked. After fixing that mess, I bought a Bluelab and switched to EC. By switching to EC, you can't screw it up. As Rexer says, PPM is more accurate. I agree and, if that level of accuracy is needed then that's what's needed. If not, I'd stick with EC.

My auto grow never got over 600 PPM and, when following the Wonder Chart, I was dropping TDS in increments as small as 20 PPM. EC is useless at that level//only PPM gives the sufficiently level of precision.

Each measure that pros and cons. Use as appropriate (and don't forget that Fox Farms uses 700 PPM!)

Back
Top Bottom