Pinktiger777

(This is a cross posted post with embellishments.
The original appears in my current Journal,
Here)

The weekend before Thanksgiving , most of my neighbors, if they were in their kitchens, were making holiday treats. I was also making treats, but not for any particular holiday. I can't really claim any cred for what I did, as it was all learned here. @Grandpa Tokin and @SweetSue have been my mentors, along with @InTheShed and others. When appropriate, I'll link to others' posts that I learned from.

Here's what I made:

1. Decarbed Fan leaf capsules
2. Decarbed frosty trim capsules
3. Gummy bears and pineapples (Jolly Rancher Jello cherry flavor)
4. Canna oil capsules from bud

About a month ago I also created suppositories made with RSO. I don't really care for RSO as an edible; to me it tastes nasty. LOL. To each their own. But it is excellent for suppository use. I'll talk more about the effect these edibles have had on me at the end of this post. First, I want to share my methods.

Decarbed flower capsules
Here is a link for methods and supplies.
Old Thread But Good
Although the above-linked thread came from a now disappeared poster, it contained a lot of good info.
I did a search on Amazon for a capsule filling machine. I use size 00 but there are other sizes.
My daughter figured out how to use the machine because I'm really not good at stuff like that. LOL. So you will have to supply your own kid. This filling machine is manual. The hard part is figuring how it works, but no prob now for me. ;)

Three Steps
  1. I used dried fan leaves and trim. I separated the sugar trim from the fan leaves a long time ago and these are done separately. First step is to decarb your flower.
  2. Second, grind the flower into a powder. Not a fine powder, but in small enough pieces to go into a capsule easily. I used my Cuisinart food processor.
  3. Third, fill capsules with herb. Follow directions.
Gummy Candy

The gummy bears and pineapple molds came from Amazon. I used this recipe, adapted from many recipes online and perfected by me for my kitchen:

Ingredients
1/2 cup cannabis infused coconut oil
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon sunflower lecithin
1 small 6 oz package gelatin dessert of your choice
2 packets of unflavored gelatin

Directions
  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water and the infused oil and whisk together as you bring it to a boil
  2. Whisk in each container of the unflavored gelatin one at a time while continuing to whisk
  3. Whisk in the flavored gelatin and keep stirring for about 5 minutes and bring to a rolling boil.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Place molds on a cookie sheet or other flat surface that will fit in the freezer.
  6. Acting quickly, fill each mold with a dropper or spoon.
  7. Place filled molds in the freezer for 15 minutes, then remove and unmold.
  8. Dust gummies with cornstarch and keep in a closed container so they won't dry out.

Canna Oil Capsules

Simply fill capsules with infused coconut oil.

Now, here's how I make the oil, adapted from Grandpa Tokin's (@Grandpa Tokin ) recipes. I altered the method slightly after experimentation. Now, hear this, people: I'm an experienced cook and I have many years' experience dealing with dangerous stuff. If you are not really good at risk avoidance and knowing what things might explode and how to prevent that, then don't use my method. I will not be responsible for your blown-up arse.
OK. Disclaimer over.

How I make Canna Oil/Butter
I know that some people will take issue with my methods, but that is OK. To each his own. I hope this recipe is useful.
I have an electric cooktop with elements under glass. No flames. Don't do this on a gas stove or with an open flame or you will blow up your kitchen. You will also need a great deal of air flowing up a vent; I also open my kitchen up to the patio when I do this - Lots of ventilation is needed.
Ingredients:
You will need a double boiler, a fifth of Everclear or Extractahol, and about a half ounce of herb or an ounce of trim. I don't use fan leaves for this recipe. You will also need a large funnel and several coffee filters, a mesh strainer large enough to hold the funnel and a large bowl or measuring bowl to drain the alcohol in at the end.
  1. First, break up the herb into small pieces - do not grind unless you are using fan leaves or trim.
  2. I decarb my herb next, in an electric oven in a silicone box on a cookie sheet, at 240 degrees for 45 minutes.
  3. Place into a large glass jar with a lid, like a two-quart mason jar. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
  4. Freeze the Everclear or extractahol overnight or several hours.
  5. Remove the mason jar with bud from the freezer and take the frozen alcohol and pour just enough to cover about half an inch. You should have about half a fifth left or so.
  6. Carefully swirl the jar contents for about a minute. Do not mash or whisk. You are separating the trichomes from the bud and you don't want plant waxes or chlorophyll.
  7. With the funnel fitted with a couple of filters and the mesh strainer positioned over the bowl, pour the jar contents in the funnel and strain. Let it drain naturally. When all the alcohol is drained, discard the herb. The alcohol solution should look like pee. But not dark pee. Straw colored pee.
  8. Pour the alcohol solution into the top of the double boiler. Turn the heat on and bring it to a boil (alcohol boils at a lower temp than water) and watch carefully. Have the ventilation on and do not breathe the fumes. When the water in the bottom is boiling and the mixture has reduced by about half (10 min max), turn off the heat and leave it to sit there for a few minutes. When the alcohol is gone, a goo will coat the double boiler. At this point add the lecithin and a cup of coconut oil and whisk until all is blended. Then use in recipes or save until later. If you want butter instead, use a cup of butter instead of the coconut oil.
Effectiveness of my Edibles
The fan leaves were a surprise. I really didn't expect them to work, so I took three of them. I was asleep in an hour, no waking. Just before dozing off, I noticed a profound relaxation, and then my eyes lost the ability to do fine focusing (this is my personal tell to see if something makes me high) and I am now saving all the fan leaves. LOL
The oil is very effective in the capsules and edibles. Potent! Of course, the effect will depend on the quality of the herb you use. Mine is surprisingly strong. And I grow it in a 2 X2.5 feet by 5.7" tall tent.
Two oil capsules take away pain for six hours. Two herb capsules put me to sleep, and the fan leaves capsules are excellent for sleep or relaxation. All of them ease the pain of the neuropathy in my legs and hands.
I'm thinking of coming up with a cannabis tea that will include other tea for flavoring. If anyone has done this please let me know.
I can buy tea bags and fill them at home.
The gummy bears/pineapples/whatever mold you have are great. I used the refined organic coconut oil I found at the grocer's, and it has a nice coconut taste that mixes well with the Jello.
I have also made brownies with the cannabutter, but I don't like the taste. They pack a nice punch, though. My sister tried one (not a cannabis user normally) and she said it gave her a bad trip. LOL. I think people who have never used cannabis who are from my baby boomer generation are extremely paranoid about what it will do to them. If you told them a cup of coffee was laced with cannabis and it wasn't really, they would probably have a placebo effect.
In my opinion, the main difference between the high from edibles and toking is the time it takes to work. Edibles are slower. The other thing is, the high is more like what I get when I take a low dose opioid like oxycontin or valium. I'm a heavy user, though, and I don't think my results could be typical.

(This is a cross posted post with embellishments.
The original appears in my current Journal,
Here)

The weekend before Thanksgiving , most of my neighbors, if they were in their kitchens, were making holiday treats. I was also making treats, but not for any particular holiday. I can't really claim any cred for what I did, as it was all learned here. @Grandpa Tokin and @SweetSue have been my mentors, along with @InTheShed and others. When appropriate, I'll link to others' posts that I learned from.

Here's what I made:

1. Decarbed Fan leaf capsules
2. Decarbed frosty trim capsules
3. Gummy bears and pineapples (Jolly Rancher Jello cherry flavor)
4. Canna oil capsules from bud

About a month ago I also created suppositories made with RSO. I don't really care for RSO as an edible; to me it tastes nasty. LOL. To each their own. But it is excellent for suppository use. I'll talk more about the effect these edibles have had on me at the end of this post. First, I want to share my methods.

Decarbed flower capsules
Here is a link for methods and supplies.
Old Thread But Good
Although the above-linked thread came from a now disappeared poster, it contained a lot of good info.
I did a search on Amazon for a capsule filling machine. I use size 00 but there are other sizes.
My daughter figured out how to use the machine because I'm really not good at stuff like that. LOL. So you will have to supply your own kid. This filling machine is manual. The hard part is figuring how it works, but no prob now for me. ;)

Three Steps
  1. I used dried fan leaves and trim. I separated the sugar trim from the fan leaves a long time ago and these are done separately. First step is to decarb your flower.
  2. Second, grind the flower into a powder. Not a fine powder, but in small enough pieces to go into a capsule easily. I used my Cuisinart food processor.
  3. Third, fill capsules with herb. Follow directions.
Gummy Candy

The gummy bears and pineapple molds came from Amazon. I used this recipe, adapted from many recipes online and perfected by me for my kitchen:

Ingredients
1/2 cup cannabis infused coconut oil
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon sunflower lecithin
1 small 6 oz package gelatin dessert of your choice
2 packets of unflavored gelatin

Directions
  1. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the water and the infused oil and whisk together as you bring it to a boil
  2. Whisk in each container of the unflavored gelatin one at a time while continuing to whisk
  3. Whisk in the flavored gelatin and keep stirring for about 5 minutes and bring to a rolling boil.
  4. Remove from heat.
  5. Place molds on a cookie sheet or other flat surface that will fit in the freezer.
  6. Acting quickly, fill each mold with a dropper or spoon.
  7. Place filled molds in the freezer for 15 minutes, then remove and unmold.
  8. Dust gummies with cornstarch and keep in a closed container so they won't dry out.

Canna Oil Capsules

Simply fill capsules with infused coconut oil.

Now, here's how I make the oil, adapted from Grandpa Tokin's (@Grandpa Tokin ) recipes. I altered the method slightly after experimentation. Now, hear this, people: I'm an experienced cook and I have many years' experience dealing with dangerous stuff. If you are not really good at risk avoidance and knowing what things might explode and how to prevent that, then don't use my method. I will not be responsible for your blown-up arse.
OK. Disclaimer over.

How I make Canna Oil/Butter
I know that some people will take issue with my methods, but that is OK. To each his own. I hope this recipe is useful.
I have an electric cooktop with elements under glass. No flames. Don't do this on a gas stove or with an open flame or you will blow up your kitchen. You will also need a great deal of air flowing up a vent; I also open my kitchen up to the patio when I do this - Lots of ventilation is needed.
Ingredients:
You will need a double boiler, a fifth of Everclear or Extractahol, and about a half ounce of herb or an ounce of trim. I don't use fan leaves for this recipe. You will also need a large funnel and several coffee filters, a mesh strainer large enough to hold the funnel and a large bowl or measuring bowl to drain the alcohol in at the end.
  1. First, break up the herb into small pieces - do not grind unless you are using fan leaves or trim.
  2. I decarb my herb next, in an electric oven in a silicone box on a cookie sheet, at 240 degrees for 45 minutes.
  3. Place into a large glass jar with a lid, like a two-quart mason jar. Freeze for several hours or overnight.
  4. Freeze the Everclear or extractahol overnight or several hours.
  5. Remove the mason jar with bud from the freezer and take the frozen alcohol and pour just enough to cover about half an inch. You should have about half a fifth left or so.
  6. Carefully swirl the jar contents for about a minute. Do not mash or whisk. You are separating the trichomes from the bud and you don't want plant waxes or chlorophyll.
  7. With the funnel fitted with a couple of filters and the mesh strainer positioned over the bowl, pour the jar contents in the funnel and strain. Let it drain naturally. When all the alcohol is drained, discard the herb. The alcohol solution should look like pee. But not dark pee. Straw colored pee.
  8. Pour the alcohol solution into the top of the double boiler. Turn the heat on and bring it to a boil (alcohol boils at a lower temp than water) and watch carefully. Have the ventilation on and do not breathe the fumes. When the water in the bottom is boiling and the mixture has reduced by about half (10 min max), turn off the heat and leave it to sit there for a few minutes. When the alcohol is gone, a goo will coat the double boiler. At this point add the lecithin and a cup of coconut oil and whisk until all is blended. Then use in recipes or save until later. If you want butter instead, use a cup of butter instead of the coconut oil.
Effectiveness of my Edibles
The fan leaves were a surprise. I really didn't expect them to work, so I took three of them. I was asleep in an hour, no waking. Just before dozing off, I noticed a profound relaxation, and then my eyes lost the ability to do fine focusing (this is my personal tell to see if something makes me high) and I am now saving all the fan leaves. LOL
The oil is very effective in the capsules and edibles. Potent! Of course, the effect will depend on the quality of the herb you use. Mine is surprisingly strong. And I grow it in a 2 X2.5 feet by 5.7" tall tent.
Two oil capsules take away pain for six hours. Two herb capsules put me to sleep, and the fan leaves capsules are excellent for sleep or relaxation. All of them ease the pain of the neuropathy in my legs and hands.
I'm thinking of coming up with a cannabis tea that will include other tea for flavoring. If anyone has done this please let me know.
I can buy tea bags and fill them at home.
The gummy bears/pineapples/whatever mold you have are great. I used the refined organic coconut oil I found at the grocer's, and it has a nice coconut taste that mixes well with the Jello.
I have also made brownies with the cannabutter, but I don't like the taste. They pack a nice punch, though. My sister tried one (not a cannabis user normally) and she said it gave her a bad trip. LOL. I think people who have never used cannabis who are from my baby boomer generation are extremely paranoid about what it will do to them. If you told them a cup of coffee was laced with cannabis and it wasn't really, they would probably have a placebo effect.
In my opinion, the main difference between the high from edibles and toking is the time it takes to work. Edibles are slower. The other thing is, the high is more like what I get when I take a low dose opioid like oxycontin or valium. I'm a heavy user, though, and I don't think my results could be typical.

FYI: the size 0 capsules hold 250mg of decarbed, ground flower, and size 2 holds 150mg. A tamper is needed to get these amounts into the capsules. If you capsule machine didn't come with one, an oral syringe can be used.

I found the dosing inconsistent between capsules filled with ground decarbed, dried flower. I suspect some had more than their share of trichomes.

I use decarbed rosin, mixed with coconut oil for my capsules now. Dosage can be adjusted to suit. I used an oral syringe to fill the capsules with the oil / rosin mixture. I've ordered an adjustable 100µl - 1000µl (0.1 - 1ml) pipette to fill my capsules. This will allow a consistent volume to be placed in each capsule, and help avoid spillage. My concern is that it will take longer to fill them. I'll find out the next time I fill capsules.

Making suppositories
First, I want to say that nobody in my family is interested in trying my suppositories. LOL.
I have inflammatory bowel disease. The suppositories give a person all of the good stuff without the high stuff, as the medicine goes straight into the tissue and bypasses the liver. I have had no psychological effects or high effects using these.
I used a kit I bought on Amazon to make them, and a recipe I found online. Here's the dope:

You will need suppository molds and applicators. Here're the ones I use:

61watUg08+L._AC_SL1280_.jpg
41ayecdR79L._AC_.jpg

The basic recipe is to mix RSO into cocoa butter and melt in a double boiler, then using a syringe or a dropper to fill the suppository molds. Put them in the freezer for 15 minutes then unmold and store in refrigerator or freezer.
I use 1/2 cup cocoa butter to 10 mg of RSO. I also add a tablespoon of sunflower lecithin so the oils mix and are available for proper absorption.

FYI: the size 0 capsules hold 250mg of decarbed, ground flower, and size 2 holds 150mg. A tamper is needed to get these amounts into the capsules. If you capsule machine didn't come with one, an oral syringe can be used.

I found the dosing inconsistent between capsules filled with ground decarbed, dried flower. I suspect some had more than their share of trichomes.

I use decarbed rosin, mixed with coconut oil for my capsules now. Dosage can be adjusted to suit. I used an oral syringe to fill the capsules with the oil / rosin mixture. I've ordered an adjustable 100µl - 1000µl (0.1 - 1ml) pipette to fill my capsules. This will allow a consistent volume to be placed in each capsule, and help avoid spillage. My concern is that it will take longer to fill them. I'll find out the next time I fill capsules.

We used a brush to evenly fill the capsules.

We used a brush to evenly fill the capsules.
I'm sure that getting the dosage right is important. However, this was my first time making these; I didn't weigh them, but I will check them with my scale to see how much they weigh. The brush made certain the capsules were evenly filled; we didn't pack down the herb.

I packed it down, and topped them up again two or three times. I weighed the ground flower before I started filling the capsules, so for a size 2, I'd weight out 15gm for the 100 capsules my machine holds. I just hoped the capsule would hold it all the first time I tried it.

Back
Top Bottom