Post Germination: Beginning Container Sizes For Transplanting Tap Root Into Soil

CottageGrow

420 Member
I have just started the Seed Germination Stage by soaking seeds for approx. 15 hours. Next step is to cover the seeds with damp Paper Towels for 2 to 7 days. Once the TAP ROOT appears and is approx 3/4 inches in length, I understand that the Next Stage is to transplant the Tap Root directly into the soil.
Question (1): I have "both" 2 inch & 4 inch "Paper Fiber" planting pots. Should I first plant the Tap Root into the 2 inch pot (and) once it becomes somewhat root bound [not sure how long this will take], should I then transplant into the 4 inch pot, or should I skip the 2 inch pot and do my first planting of the TAP ROOT directly into the 4 inch Paper Fiber Pot.
- I am using plain potting soil at this stage (that does NOT contain nutrients)
Question (2): When will I know when to transplant to the next size Container ... (from either the 2 inch Container (or) the 4 inch Container, depending on answer to Question (1) above)

Welcome to 420,CottageGrow :welcome:
To answer your question (sort of)-skip the 2" and plant in something larger,like a 16 oz opaque solo cup.
OR,plant in a clear solo cup,and sit it in an opaque solo cup to keep the light away from the roots-in the clear cup,you can check the root's progress without having to slide the whole plant out of the cup to see the roots-

Just sit it back into the non-transparent cup when not inspecting the roots- roots hate light.
When you see that the roots have reached the bottom of the cup,and started "swirling" around the bottom,it's time to up-pot to either an intermediate 1 gallon pot,or straight into the final pot-people do it both ways-I go from solo cup to final 3 gallon pot,but that's just my choice.The 3 pot method is actually the preferred way to do it.

**edit** be sure to put some drain holes in the bottom of the cups.

@Emilya ,one of the real experts on the forum, has prepared a tutorial on watering that you should
look at- overwatering is one of the main ways that folks screw their plants up,but if you follow this tutorial,you won't end up being one of those people:

Good Luck with your grow!

Welcome to 420,CottageGrow :welcome:
To answer your question (sort of)-skip the 2" and plant in something larger,like a 16 oz opaque solo cup.
OR,plant in a clear solo cup,and sit it in an opaque solo cup to keep the light away from the roots-in the clear cup,you can check the root's progress without having to slide the whole plant out of the cup to see the roots-

Just sit it back into the non-transparent cup when not inspecting the roots- roots hate light.
When you see that the roots have reached the bottom of the cup,and started "swirling" around the bottom,it's time to up-pot to either an intermediate 1 gallon pot,or straight into the final pot-people do it both ways-I go from solo cup to final 3 gallon pot,but that's just my choice.The 3 pot method is actually the preferred way to do it.

**edit** be sure to pot some drain holes in the bottom of the cups.

@Emilya,one of the real experts on the forum, has prepared a tutorial on watering that you should
look at- overwatering is one of the main ways that folks screw their plants up,but if you follow this tutorial,you won't end up being one of those people:

Good Luck with your grow!
Thank you Carcass, (me) being a NewBee, I appreciate all the help I can get - Your guidance is appreciated

Not a problem-that's what we're here for-Glad to have you aboard!

You can pretty much find out everything you need to know about the website here:

Back
Top Bottom