Poultry manure tea

Roots

So by fiddling with some reading here and other forums I decided to make a poultry manure tea. Comprising of Guinee, chicken and turkey manure around three months old freshly shoveled from the coop, molasses and some worm castings. I mixed the manure 2 parts to 1 part worm castings. I dumped a cup of it in four gallons of water and added 4 tablespoons of molasses to feed the micros. The air pump is a humming. Won't be ready till Thursday. I expect that this will be safe to use, going to test it on the ole lady's Coleus plant. If it dies it dies, not telling her what happened!

In reality I decided to not test it on her unusual pale green Coleus. I have a bit of a heart somewhere. Went out and bought me one.

You shouldn't brew it more than 24hrs.

The bacteria you grow after 24hrs will be mostly anaerobic bacteria. The bacteria we want in soil is aerobic and why aeration in soil is important.

Your best treatment like this is to collect leaf mold in the woods and top dress with that and water in. The leaf mold will contain everything your soil needs for mycos - proper fungi and bacteria and will be fungal dominant.

Chicken/poultry manure are the hottest manures specially when not composted very long. Go REAL easy with it and watch the plants.

You're probably already aware of the stink this process makes do not get it on you. You be sleeping in the shed trust me it wont wash off. It will stick with you a few days.

A better manure are the green manures like comfrey (bocking 14 = sterile). You can grow this and have plenty of green manure all season long.

There's other issues with poultry manure as well. Generally manures need to compost 6 months... our local farmers compost it for 6 months and into the early spring with no crops in the field that's when they spread it. It sits in the fields for a few more months then gets tilled in and a new crop planted.

Thats just FYI and how traditional farmers use manures.

Manure very high in Nitrogen. Its not really a good top dress or for a compost tea.

Likely your'e going to get kicked out of the house you bring that in and put it on plants. Just sharing experience. GL with it and go easy.

Actually I just started the experiment. I bought two Coleus plants that are very close in size. I fed one with the chicken manure/worm casting/molasses tea and one with a fish fertilizer/seaweed mix. The one fed the poultry manure tea yesterday is an inch taller than the one fed the fish emulsion. I know wait a few more days to really see if there is any difference. Typically I make teas like this to somewhat vermicompost the main ingredients. Hoping the bacteria's from the wormcastings convert the manures to a safer fertilizer. So far it has always worked. As far as odor goes this has not in this case been an issue. Concerning the bacteria becoming anaerobic after 24 hours my main push is to use the bacteria to break down the poultry manure into something safer to use for fertilizer. I am also going to test Epsoma and Jobes ferts in the same manner later on.

Well both plants look great, the same height no suffering just pretty plants. Going to feed again today and weekly until I see signs of over feeding or not. Or until I can see a big difference if effect.

Well - WHAT HAPPENED?????? Did anything blow up????? :rofl: :ciao:
Maybe it did. There have been a few news stories about someone or another blowing up their house or garage but those were listed as people messing with butane or trying to make their own fireworks and one guy who wanted to become a "mad bomber".

@Roots has not logged in since the beginning of February. Kinda curious as to what the tea accomplished so maybe a quick return will come about.

Well further testing went very well. Seems the EWC does break the poultry manures down into a safer to use fertilizer. Activator tea done as follows, 4 gallons of water allowed to sit for 24 hours at least. 1/2 cup poultry manure/EWC, 4 tablespoons of Mollasses aerated till foamy and applied at 18 ounces per container right after potting. Quanity used is same for all applications. Feed Tea is 1 cup poultry/EWC, 4 tablespoons of Mollasses aerated until foam is gone once every other week, plain water the week in between. Flowering tea is 1/2 cup EWC, 1/2 cup bonemeal, 4 tablespoons Mollasses aerated until foam is gone, applied 2 weeks before the end of flower. Soil is sort of a Burn1 recipe with Poultry manure instead of Blood meal. And of course water as needed.

I've used manure before and currently for anaerobic compost tea. It works like a charm BUT like @bobrown14 said bird manure are high in Nitrogen so It could burn the plant even when growing organic.

And the differences between aerobic and anaerobic teas... in my case I dont use air pump because I dont have to, but I let ferment months and months, basically for ever by just adding water and organic matter as I move on thru the season.

Making living soil and growing organic is easy and doesnt require lots of money.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom