Preparing for cloning: how to flush?

meejay

Hello everyone,

I am preparing for cloning and would like to hear your suggestions regarding flushing. My considerations are below. It would be much appreciated if you could save some time to comment each:
  1. I have read (Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes) that either flushing the soil or heavily spraying the leaves would work to successfully flush out the nutrients from the leaves. Which one do you recommend and why?
  2. What happens when someone skips flushing before cloning?
Thanks in advance.

cheers

Hello everyone,

I am preparing for cloning and would like to hear your suggestions regarding flushing. My considerations are below. It would be much appreciated if you could save some time to comment each:
  1. I have read (Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible by Jorge Cervantes) that either flushing the soil or heavily spraying the leaves would work to successfully flush out the nutrients from the leaves. Which one do you recommend and why?
  2. What happens when someone skips flushing before cloning?
Thanks in advance.

cheers
This is a first for me. I’ve never heard anyone mention flushing before pulling clones. It is impossible to “flush” nutrients out of the leafs. You can flush them out of the soil and starve your plant, but I don’t recommend that.
I pull my clones a week before I flip to 12/12 and only flush my toilet.

Many things that Jorge wrote about in the '60s has been debunked or modernized. I have never flushed because I needed to clone, I only flush to clear the soil of a previous mix of nutes or to clear salt buildups. Also, Flushing is not defined as giving water only, it is defined by pouring 3x the container size of fresh water through the soil, so as to "flush" it of all contaminants.

don't write off flushing so fast just because some green new grower has decided that it's bad. I couldn't begin to tell you how many grows I have seen get in trouble because of salt buildup or newt accumulation and the only solution to their problem being a complete three times flush. to just flat-out discount flushing as not necessary is a disservice to any new grower out there reading your words!

don't write off flushing so fast just because some green new grower has decided that it's bad. I couldn't begin to tell you how many grows I have seen get in trouble because of salt buildup or newt accumulation and the only solution to their problem being a complete three times flush. to just flat-out discount flushing as not necessary is a disservice to any new grower out there reading your words!
Did you read the article?
I never flat-out discounted flushing......please show me where I said that. I answered the OP's question by stating that flushing is not necessary when taking a clone. So, I'm not doing a disservice to new growers by reading my words.

I agree that flushing out salts in the medium is sometimes necessary due to over feeding and not feeding to run off. But the article is about the effect of flushing on the plant itself, taste, terpenes and such.

I agree that flushing out salts in the medium is sometimes necessary due to over feeding and not feeding to run off. But the article is about the effect of flushing on the plant itself, taste, terpenes and such.
These phds have done a study based on a perversion of the term flushing, so it is hard to take them seriously! They are studying the effects of stress on the plant due to not giving nutrition for varying amounts of time and their study has nothing to do with flushing as the term has always been understood or as we are referring to it here.

I never flat-out discounted flushing......please show me where I said that. I answered the OP's question by stating that flushing is not necessary when taking a clone. So, I'm not doing a disservice to new growers by reading my words.

the problem isn't so much that you were discounting what we were saying here in this thread but that every time someone brings up an article such as that, the argument starts as to whether flushing has any effect at all on the plants and whether or not we should even do it and it totally confuses the situation to have a side conversation like that going on when the question asked had nothing to do with that

Many things that Jorge wrote about in the '60s has been debunked or modernized.
Sounds like I am on the right track. I am looking for confirmation after I read something somewhere. That must be the reason why I was not able to find any info elsewhere regarding the subject. All the information I could find about flushing is related to flushing before harvest.
I have never flushed because I needed to clone, I only flush to clear the soil of a previous mix of nutes or to clear salt buildups.
You re-utilize the previous grow soil right?

Also, Flushing is not defined as giving water only, it is defined by pouring 3x the container size of fresh water through the soil, so as to "flush" it of all contaminants.
3x container size is inline with Jorge's recommendation.

Also, Flushing is not defined as giving water only, it is defined by pouring 3x the container size of fresh water through the soil, so as to "flush" it of all contaminants.
It’s not defined as that to you personally. Everyone has their own language.

The very first hit on Google says:
Definition - What does Flushing mean? Flushing is the technique of ceasing to provide nutrients to a cannabis plantand instead only applying water. The process of flushing the marijuana plantusually takes place during the final transition phase of the plant's life right before harvest.”

:passitleft:

It’s not defined as that to you personally. Everyone has their own language.

The very first hit on Google says:
Definition - What does Flushing mean? Flushing is the technique of ceasing to provide nutrients to a cannabis plantand instead only applying water. The process of flushing the marijuana plantusually takes place during the final transition phase of the plant's life right before harvest.”

:passitleft:
...and that particular definition and it’s purpose has been debunked. You cannot flush (starve) your plant into tasting better.

A synthetic N molecule does not have a different taste than an organic N molecule.
The process in regards to your cure completely determines how it will taste/smoke.

Flushing is beneficial to clear out any excess nutrients built up within the soil, remedy salt buildup, or reset from lockouts. Starving your plant so it consumes/clears the nutrients in its leafs doesn’t effect the taste unless you’re smoking fans. That all were saying here. I recommend a few reads.

I take any information from product developers, Google, and YouTube with a grain of salt. I tend to look for university or clinical studies for my data.

I tend to look for university or clinical studies for my data.
And in the world of Cannabis, where most of the work is being done illegally in basement and bedroom grow rooms all over the country, Doctoral University Studies are few and far between, and rarely center in on the things that are most important to real world growers today. Most of the knowledge associated with growing with LEDs is coming from us, not universities. Debunking old myths about all aspects of this particular hobby mostly is coming from us, the home grower. Yes, we do have some commercial folks now in the legal states who are able to see some real numbers and collect some real and valuable data, but most of them are busy running their businesses and competing against others, so they are not writing about what they are finding.

You never know where innovation will occur. Most often it is going to be that solitary experimenter who happens upon a good idea, and it usually occurs outside of academia. Just because a university sanctioned study was not done, complete with government grants, footnotes and references, doesn't mean that real science isn't happening in someone's basement. Think about some of our early innovators, Jorge, SubCool, Rosenthal, Rev... the world shook with some of their insights, but were there official studies?

I am totally immersed in the world of Ham Radio. What you may not know about Amateur Radio is that there is a reason that governments all over the world have given such huge swathes of incredibly valuable radio spectrum to citizens to play with. It is a fact that every single device that you can name that has anything to do with radio... from AM and FM radio and TV to Satellite communications, to the microwave in your kitchen to the wifi powering your network to the cellphone in your pocket... every one of those technologies was first started by a ham radio operator in his/her ham shack, and the university and government work that resulted came afterwards while figuring out how to market and use the new discovery. The same sort of innovation and creation is happening here, in our world, by hobbyists just like you and me.

Back
Top Bottom