President Obama's Deputy Drug Czar Tom McClellan Comments in USA TODAY Article

Cannabis Science, Inc., a pioneering US pharmaceutical cannabis company, notes that comments by President Obama's Deputy Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, Tom McClellan, in yesterday's USA TODAY pinpoints the need for non-smoked medical cannabis products similar to those currently being developed for FDA clinical trials by Cannabis Science.

Deputy Director McClellan said in the article that Obama administration still opposes smoking marijuana for its medicinal benefit. As well, he says more research is needed to deliver the medically useful ingredients in a non-smoked form. He then went on to say, "We have the safest medications in the world and it's not a coincidence. We have an enviable process by which we approve medications, and that's through the FDA (Food and Drug Administration)."

Dr. Robert Melamede, President and CEO of Cannabis Science, "With an open invitation like this from the Obama Administration, we at Cannabis Science feel more confident than ever that our efforts to provide our "wounded warriors" with an alternative to treatments that are not working will be fairly examined, when we submit our non-smoked cannabis pharmaceutical products to the FDA for clinical trials. We are doing precisely the sort of scientific research that Deputy Director McClellan is calling for."

Richard Cowan, Cannabis Science CFO and a former CEO of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), noted, "It is important that the Obama Administration is making such an open call that they want more FDA clinical trial research on the same types of drugs we are creating. Consequently, we will rapidly proceed with our development of a cannabis-based medicine for PTSD for FDA clinical trials. We hope they will share our sense of urgency, because PTSD is killing not only our veterans, but also our active duty troops. In January alone, more of our active US military troops died of suicide than were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined."

Both Dr. Melamede and Richard Cowan, are long-term advocates of the full legalization of marijuana, and support the rights of patients to use the plant to medicate, including smoking. The article reported that support for full legalization is growing rapidly (now up to 44% nationally and a majority in some states).

About Cannabis Science, Inc. Cannabis Science, Inc. is at the forefront of medical marijuana research and development. The Company works with world authorities on phytocannabinoid science targeting critical illnesses, and adheres to scientific methodologies to develop, produce, and commercialize phytocannabinoid-based pharmaceutical products. In sum, we are dedicated to the creation of cannabis-based medicines, both with and without psychoactive properties, to treat disease and the symptoms of disease, as well as for general health maintenance.

Forward Looking Statements; This Press Release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934. A statement containing works such as "anticipate," "seek," intend," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "project," "plan," or similar phrases may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Some or all of the events or results anticipated by these forward-looking statements may not occur. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include the future U.S. and global economies, the impact of competition, and the Company's reliance on existing regulations regarding the use and development of cannabis-based drugs. Cannabis Science, Inc. does not undertake any duty nor does it intend to update the results of these forward-looking statements.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 Magazine - Cannabis Culture News & Reviews
Source: FOXBusiness.com
Copyright: 2010 FOX News Network, LLC.

What is the point when all natural works just fine?

$$$$

You've got a pharmaceutical company that wants to have THC or whatever contained in a pill. US (one of the agency's (FDA i think) holds the patent on the medicinal properties contained within the plant (cozy business arrangement). Also, based on the disclosure notice, looks like they are looking to go "Public" on one of the stock exchanges, if they haven't already.

If they have a pill alternative, what's the need for anyone to grow there own medicine? Not my point of view; but I can see this as an argument for going back to eradicating the growing of MJ and strengthening opposition. Still only 44% of the US population believes it should be legalized.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

SF

And so we have it.... CHANGE!

Come on now... who voted for this cat... dont be shy... raise your hand... come on now.

Just messing.

I dont blame obama as much as I do congress for the crappy job they have been doing for the past 10 years. Remeber to research before you cast your vote.

Ron Paul 2012!

Research to find safer ways to use Cannabis medically? What's safer than vaporizing, eating, or drinking the stuff? People need to get educated about Cannabis...but maybe more importantly about pharmaceuticals. Doctors and pharmacists rarely explain the side effects of FDA APPROVED medicines that can easily kill people. Older folks go from doctor to doctor trying to find relief, only to be prescribed different meds, and they wind up taking them all at the same time! People die at the rate of 100,000 per year in the US from legally prescribed and government approved medicine, yet our public servants say Cannabis needs more study. Why are "we the people" so blind to the truth?? I know...I know...it was a rhetorical que$tion.

.........I dont blame obama as much as I do congress for the crappy job they have been doing for the past 10 years...........

i have to disagree with you. i don't think your giving congress a fair assessment. they've been doing a crappy job for decades.

Deputy Director McClellan said
he says more research is needed to deliver the medically useful ingredients in a non-smoked form.

There is the DEA "Admitting" to Medicinal Properties of Cannabis!

Also Deputy Director McClellan said
We have an enviable process by which we approve medications, and that's through the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).

Here is some of the "Enviable" things the FDA has and still allows.

Sweet Misery

Black box warning
This is the MOST dangerous label before a drug is pulled by the "Enviable" FDA.

FDA Extends Black-Box Warning to All Antipsychotics

Anti-Smoking Drugs Get FDA 'Black-Box' Warning

FDA Advisers Don't Back 'Black Box' Warning for Epilepsy Drugs - washingtonpost.com

Seems to also be "Enviable" to give these Black Label Drugs to kids in massive amounts.
"Quote" from here
Black Box Drug Warnings
In addition to antidepressants, eczema medicines (Elidel and Protopic), and asthma medicines (Advair and Serevent), it looks like stimulant medications that are used to treat ADHD, including Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, and Focalin, may also soon get a black box warning. Strattera, a non-stimulant that is used to treat ADHD already has its own black box warning.

Metoclopramide Drugs Get 'Black Box' Warning - Medications: Prescription Drugs and Over the Counter Drugs on MedicineNet.com

The FDA requires a black-box warning on anti-clotting drug Plavix
The FDA requires a black-box warning on anti-clotting drug Plavix | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

The FDA is requiring the label warnings and a medication guide for fluoroquinolone drugs, which include Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, Noroxin and Floxin.
FDA orders 'black box' label on some antibiotics - CNN.com
FDA requests "black box" warning on Cipro and related antibiotics

Here is a link to an outdated list of all BBL meds from 2002.
Seems they don't want you to have this list?

If one looks most all the drugs I listed separately were "Black Labeled" after the list of drugs dated 2002!

C&P From Here
Arch Intern Med -- Adherence to Black Box Warnings for Prescription Medications in Outpatients, February 13, 2006, Lasser et al. 166 (3): 338
RESULTS
In 2002, 324 548 outpatients in the target population received a prescription medication. Of these patients, 33 778 (10.4%) received a medication that contained a black box warning pertaining to drug-drug, drug-laboratory, and/or drug-disease interaction. Of these 33 778 patients, 2354 (7.0%, or 0.7% of all outpatients) received a prescription in violation of the black box warning. The Figure shows the distribution of type of black box warning (drug-drug, drug-laboratory, and drug-disease) and the frequency with which each type of warning was violated. Most patients who received a prescription with a black box warning were at risk for a drug-disease interaction (90.6%), followed by a drug-laboratory interaction (26.6%) and a drug-drug interaction (3.3%) (patients could have >1 type of interaction). Patients who received drugs with drug-drug and drug-laboratory interaction warnings frequently received the drug in violation of the black box warning (36.2% and 19.4%, respectively). Patients who received drugs with drug-disease warnings rarely had contraindicated diseases (0.7%).

So as you can see the FDA is far from an "Enviable Process".

Seems like "Smoked Cannabis" should be the last of peoples worries compared to "Pharmaceutical Drugs"

Probably would make sense to reschedule MJ to 2 or 3 so researchers could start to demonstrate its medicinal properties through double blind peer reviewed studies.

:cheesygrinsmiley:

To be honest their rating in the last 10 years has been the worst in history according to statistics... how they come up with the statistics... I sure do not know.

Cannabis Science, Inc., a pioneering US pharmaceutical cannabis company, notes that comments by President Obama's Deputy Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, Tom McClellan, in yesterday's USA TODAY pinpoints the need for non-smoked medical cannabis products similar to those currently being developed for FDA clinical trials by Cannabis Science.

Deputy Director McClellan said in the article that Obama administration still opposes smoking marijuana for its medicinal benefit. As well, he says more research is needed to deliver the medically useful ingredients in a non-smoked form. He then went on to say, "We have the safest medications in the world and it's not a coincidence. We have an enviable process by which we approve medications, and that's through the FDA (Food and Drug Administration)."

Dr. Robert Melamede, President and CEO of Cannabis Science, "With an open invitation like this from the Obama Administration, we at Cannabis Science feel more confident than ever that our efforts to provide our "wounded warriors" with an alternative to treatments that are not working will be fairly examined, when we submit our non-smoked cannabis pharmaceutical products to the FDA for clinical trials. We are doing precisely the sort of scientific research that Deputy Director McClellan is calling for."

Richard Cowan, Cannabis Science CFO and a former CEO of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML), noted, "It is important that the Obama Administration is making such an open call that they want more FDA clinical trial research on the same types of drugs we are creating. Consequently, we will rapidly proceed with our development of a cannabis-based medicine for PTSD for FDA clinical trials. We hope they will share our sense of urgency, because PTSD is killing not only our veterans, but also our active duty troops. In January alone, more of our active US military troops died of suicide than were killed in Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined."

Both Dr. Melamede and Richard Cowan, are long-term advocates of the full legalization of marijuana, and support the rights of patients to use the plant to medicate, including smoking. The article reported that support for full legalization is growing rapidly (now up to 44% nationally and a majority in some states).

About Cannabis Science, Inc. Cannabis Science, Inc. is at the forefront of medical marijuana research and development. The Company works with world authorities on phytocannabinoid science targeting critical illnesses, and adheres to scientific methodologies to develop, produce, and commercialize phytocannabinoid-based pharmaceutical products. In sum, we are dedicated to the creation of cannabis-based medicines, both with and without psychoactive properties, to treat disease and the symptoms of disease, as well as for general health maintenance.

Forward Looking Statements; This Press Release includes forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and Section 21E of the Securities Act of 1934. A statement containing works such as "anticipate," "seek," intend," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "project," "plan," or similar phrases may be deemed "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Some or all of the events or results anticipated by these forward-looking statements may not occur. Factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include the future U.S. and global economies, the impact of competition, and the Company's reliance on existing regulations regarding the use and development of cannabis-based drugs. Cannabis Science, Inc. does not undertake any duty nor does it intend to update the results of these forward-looking statements.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: FOXBusiness.com
Copyright: 2010 FOX News Network, LLC.

Hrrm a safer delivery system then smoking it I have an idea Put a bud in your mouth bite down chew swallow works wonders for me and if you dont like the taste to well on its own its not to hard to add it to just about any meal..

Deputy Director McClellan said
he says more research is needed to deliver the medically useful ingredients in a non-smoked form.

There is the DEA "Admitting" to Medicinal Properties of Cannabis!

Also Deputy Director McClellan said
We have an enviable process by which we approve medications, and that's through the FDA (Food and Drug Administration).

Here is some of the "Enviable" things the FDA has and still allows.

Sweet Misery

Black box warning
This is the MOST dangerous label before a drug is pulled by the "Enviable" FDA.

FDA Extends Black-Box Warning to All Antipsychotics

Anti-Smoking Drugs Get FDA 'Black-Box' Warning

FDA Advisers Don't Back 'Black Box' Warning for Epilepsy Drugs - washingtonpost.com

Seems to also be "Enviable" to give these Black Label Drugs to kids in massive amounts.
"Quote" from here
Black Box Drug Warnings
In addition to antidepressants, eczema medicines (Elidel and Protopic), and asthma medicines (Advair and Serevent), it looks like stimulant medications that are used to treat ADHD, including Ritalin, Concerta, Adderall, and Focalin, may also soon get a black box warning. Strattera, a non-stimulant that is used to treat ADHD already has its own black box warning.

Metoclopramide Drugs Get 'Black Box' Warning - Medications: Prescription Drugs and Over the Counter Drugs on MedicineNet.com

The FDA requires a black-box warning on anti-clotting drug Plavix
The FDA requires a black-box warning on anti-clotting drug Plavix | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

The FDA is requiring the label warnings and a medication guide for fluoroquinolone drugs, which include Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, Noroxin and Floxin.
FDA orders 'black box' label on some antibiotics - CNN.com
FDA requests "black box" warning on Cipro and related antibiotics

Here is a link to an outdated list of all BBL meds from 2002.
Seems they don't want you to have this list?

If one looks most all the drugs I listed separately were "Black Labeled" after the list of drugs dated 2002!

C&P From Here
Arch Intern Med -- Adherence to Black Box Warnings for Prescription Medications in Outpatients, February 13, 2006, Lasser et al. 166 (3): 338
RESULTS
In 2002, 324 548 outpatients in the target population received a prescription medication. Of these patients, 33 778 (10.4%) received a medication that contained a black box warning pertaining to drug-drug, drug-laboratory, and/or drug-disease interaction. Of these 33 778 patients, 2354 (7.0%, or 0.7% of all outpatients) received a prescription in violation of the black box warning. The Figure shows the distribution of type of black box warning (drug-drug, drug-laboratory, and drug-disease) and the frequency with which each type of warning was violated. Most patients who received a prescription with a black box warning were at risk for a drug-disease interaction (90.6%), followed by a drug-laboratory interaction (26.6%) and a drug-drug interaction (3.3%) (patients could have >1 type of interaction). Patients who received drugs with drug-drug and drug-laboratory interaction warnings frequently received the drug in violation of the black box warning (36.2% and 19.4%, respectively). Patients who received drugs with drug-disease warnings rarely had contraindicated diseases (0.7%).

So as you can see the FDA is far from an "Enviable Process".

Seems like "Smoked Cannabis" should be the last of peoples worries compared to "Pharmaceutical Drugs"

I am not sure but it doesnt seem as though demerol ,oxycotin and other opiates dont make the black box list? hrmm and my Dr told me that due to the amount of opiates I was put on after my car accident its most likely the cause of my memory problem as I didnt receive any head injuries...

The pharmaceutical companies want to profit from marijuana the same way the dispensaries have. Some marijuana dispensaries are valued at millions of dollars. The minority owner of a dispensary in West LA has boasted to me of his "endless resources." If you can pay for the real thing go ahead and do so but we all know pharmaceutical companies will offer it for less money and it will be covered by insurance.

For many of the reasons people take medicine, there's really no need to get doctors, pharmaceutical, or insurance companies involved. Just about anyone who tries can successfully grow their own Cannabis, so paying for it wouldn't have to be a requirement if it was legalized. When the pharmaceutical companies get involved they'll probably want to produce something like Marinol, isolating active ingredients or creating artificial versions.

Using the plant itself provides a huge variety of constituents that probably work together to help the body stay healthy and to heal from various diseases. What this means to me is that, if people try Cannabis first, they may never have to go to the doctor and be prescribed a pharmaceutical version.

Used as a regular regimen Cannabis can help to keep people healthy by enhancing the endocannabinoid system and balancing the chemicals naturally produced in our bodies. I'm talking about doses as small as one toke a day or every other day.

Finally, I think dispensaries are an interim solution before full legalization occurs. They provide a service to people that benefit from the plant during a time when the federal government considers any use or possession illegal and local authorities aren't willing to bend to the desires of their constituents; adding convoluted interpretations to the state laws and making it difficult for people to feel safe producing their own buds. They're currently the locally sanctioned alternative to buying herb of unknown quality and origin from street dealers, while providing a wide variety of named strains not otherwise available to most patients.

The pharmaceutical companies want to profit from marijuana the same way the dispensaries have. Some marijuana dispensaries are valued at millions of dollars. The minority owner of a dispensary in West LA has boasted to me of his "endless resources." If you can pay for the real thing go ahead and do so but we all know pharmaceutical companies will offer it for less money and it will be covered by insurance.

Well pharmaceutical companies could put that money into creating extremely potent feminzied auto flower strains to sell to medicinal patients that would be one way they could cash in they could also purchase massive fields and cultivate tons of high potency strains for far cheaper then we could cause they can spend the cash to create specifically modified strains that are disease specific.We all know strong indicas are good for pain ,insomnia etc so with the money and scientists they can afford I am sure any pharmaceutical company in the world could create incredible strains and then alter them to be autoflowering and impossible to clone also with the money they have I am sure they could create a real strain of 99.99% females so customers would have to buy seeds over and over.

Well pharmaceutical companies could put that money into creating extremely potent feminzied auto flower strains to sell to medicinal patients that would be one way they could cash in they could also purchase massive fields and cultivate tons of high potency strains for far cheaper then we could cause they can spend the cash to create specifically modified strains that are disease specific.We all know strong indicas are good for pain ,insomnia etc so with the money and scientists they can afford I am sure any pharmaceutical company in the world could create incredible strains and then alter them to be autoflowering and impossible to clone also with the money they have I am sure they could create a real strain of 99.99% females so customers would have to buy seeds over and over.

Ya, because the Pharmaceutical companies have shown time after time that they put the patient first and not the bottom line.

Ya, because the Pharmaceutical companies have shown time after time that they put the patient first and not the bottom line.

All I am saying is as soon as cannabis is recognized federally by the US that pharmaceutical companies are going to find a way to capitalize on it either by growing there own high grade cannabis which will more then likely be the only cannabis that would ever be sold in pharmacies or by creating Specific GMO(genetically modified organism) which will be geared to specific medication needs .

All I am saying is as soon as cannabis is recognized federally by the US that pharmaceutical companies are going to find a way to capitalize on it either by growing there own high grade cannabis which will more then likely be the only cannabis that would ever be sold in pharmacies or by creating Specific GMO(genetically modified organism) which will be geared to specific medication needs .

The article states that the Pharmaceutical companies want to put the "secret sauce" of cannabis into a PILL format.

The have no interest in growing. A PILL equals $$$ for them, all scientific and shit.

SF

Back
Top Bottom