Pump to get water out of trays?

keith1975

I'm using two big 2x2 feet trays and inside I put the plants. When I water the plants, it drips off into the trays. My problem is, I want a simple pump that can suck this water out of my tent. The pump I bought needs to be fully submersed and can't suck up water that is 1cm from the ground. I preferably need to be able to get water from the ground that is VERY low, otherwise there will be extended periods with icky water in the tray.

What pump or vacuum type device can I use to suck up this water? I was really hoping it could be with a pump, so I can just press a button to make it suck the water out and then turn it off when I'm done.

Put the trays on short blocks so you can tilt them to drain to a corner 1/4 inch of pitch will do. The blocks will give enough room to get a drip pan under to catch the water if you drill a drain hole in that corner. You can always epoxy it later if not needed. If the trays are side by side, slope them towards each other so one pan can cover both. Again, just slight pitch, not Tilt-A-Whirl. No electricity needed, just empty pan.

I'd have to raise them a lot. I've got stairs coming into this room and so will easily loose a 1/4 of my height. Drip tray certainly would be easiest, but it's not going to be easy to make the alterations to the room.

Was really hoping for a suction / pipe solution.

I'd have to raise them a lot. I've got stairs coming into this room and so will easily loose a 1/4 of my height. Drip tray certainly would be easiest, but it's not going to be easy to make the alterations to the room.

Was really hoping for a suction / pipe solution.

Ok, back in a couple, going to find a vacuum pump.

Should point you in the right direction. I'd still shim to get some slope.

510Dt98CtHL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Airpower America FloTool 2005LVMI LiquiVac Oil Extraction Pump

The hand-pump (squeeze bulb) siphon type are cheap and work okay. Should be able to find them around the kerosene heaters / fuel cans and/or camping stuff. Ought to be less than five bucks.

The hand-pump (squeeze bulb) siphon type are cheap and work okay. Should be able to find them around the kerosene heaters / fuel cans and/or camping stuff. Ought to be less than five bucks.

I use a siphon system for aquariums. Perfect.

Back
Top Bottom