Question on 9 Band LED Grow Lights

Kannabiz

I'm looking around for a LED grow light messaging different companies for shipping prices etc.. This particular seller mentioned about a 9 band LED damaging plants, and I have no clue what he's talking about.

Can someone please advise?

"Can I ask you a question? Are you familiar with 9 band led grow light? In hands of beginning grower, It can even damage the plants. We can recommend to you 8 band led grow light, which is tested for 7 years of growing, best for everyone, beginners also. Perfect for bloom & grow. You can get it directly from our website 239 euro plus shipping cost. We leave the choice up to yourself of course.
Have a nice weekend:)
All the best,
"

K

For sure check the sponsors out, there are several outstanding ones. I checked `em all out, then made my decision. Very happy with my
choice. Have completed first grow with them. Great results. Rock your garden with LED power!!!!
Peace & Great Growin
YR

@hose I am assuming the 9 band light has the IR and UV spectra. But I don't see the rhyme for reason.

@Kanna Perhaps he just wants you to buy his light instead?

LighTer, this is the spectrum, 430-440nm, 450-475nm, 620-630nm, 650-670nm and white. He sells both the 8 and 9 band lights, I quoted his e-mail reply and shall not mention the company or site to be fair to sponsors of this forum.

Thanks for the reply guys, I've checked out the sponsors and should be placing an order soon, just that I'm curious about what harm can a 9 band light do..

Have completed first grow with them. Great results. Rock your garden with LED power!!!!

yoop, what brand and size did you buy? How big of an area did you cover with it? If it was a replacement for another light, what size was that one? Would you buy that same one again or opt for a different one?

yoop, what brand and size did you buy? How big of an area did you cover with it? If it was a replacement for another light, what size was that one? Would you buy that same one again or opt for a different one?

HH;I have 2 Advanced Diamond Series 300`s. Using them in a 3'x5' area. This is a new setup and i`m very happy with it. Highly recommend these lights. I`m sure there are other company`s with comparable lights. Look at `em all and make your choice.
Peace & Great Growing
YR

The wavelengths you quoted only covers 4 "bands". Not sure how many bands they are counting their whites as covering but it would be less then 5 that they hit for sure. Nothing in any of those wavelengths will harm plants nor do they hit the UV or IR ranges. Likewise, IR will not hurt plants other than the rise in heat and UV takes a large amount in a small range of wavelengths to cause damage.

Each of the wavelengths you mentioned is actually a single LED covering those wavelengths and are thus a single "band". Most LEDs cover a 20nm range above 80% relative power output. So a 430 nm "deep blue" (sometimes called violet) will effectively cover 420nm to 440nm,
"Royal Blue" is generally 455, covering 445-465nm. "Red" 624 covers 614 - 634nm. "Deep Red" (sometimes called crimson) 660 covers 650-670nm. "Far Red" (often called IR or Infer-Red by sellers) is 730nm covering 720-740, note that it is not quite IR but getting very close to that range. Keep in mind that each manufacturer has slightly different production processes and chemicals they use. One companies "Royal Blue" may be 455 and another may be 453 or even 448. So they will give a slightly different spectral output. You would have to look at the manufacturers datasheets to get exact info.

As for the UV, only UV:B (280-315nm) damages plant cells to the point to cause mutations and cell degradation that we would be worried about. UV:A (315-400nm) causes indirect damage to skin and eyes. There is some theories out there that UV:A and B help produce more resin but there are no peer reviewed articles on this for cannabis.

Thank you Hosebomber, that's very informative and I see a clearer picture now. So it's basically false marketing unless the seller meant 9 band by having each of these LEDs; 430nm, 440nm, 450nm, 475nm, 620nm, 630nm, 650nm, 670nm and white which is also incorrect.

But it does make sense having UV-A since it's readily available outdoors..

Back
Top Bottom