Repotting question.

hog-dog

I have some plants that are in small 4" pots right now. I am going to flower 6 of them in a 10x10 room so figured I would put them in 5 gallon pots to do this. Will 5 gallon be a large enough pot for each plant or will I need bigger, and should I go from the 4" directly into the 5 gallon or should I go into a 1 gallon container first? Thanks in advance.

a 5 gallon will work great for a single plant indoors

as for transplanting them i did taht with mine went from small cup to larger pot to larrger pot but i think that did stress them quite a bit and u should just go from the small cup to the 5 gallon :peace:

I've heard that planting in a smaller container first then moving up will allow for a more extensive root system that will use up more of the medium in the pot. But the downside is then you have to repot twice which means extra stress and extra work. I used in between pots and it worked good for me. I had little stress from 2nd repot so it was all good.

I've heard that planting in a smaller container first then moving up will allow for a more extensive root system that will use up more of the medium in the pot. But the downside is then you have to repot twice which means extra stress and extra work. I used in between pots and it worked good for me. I had little stress from 2nd repot so it was all good.

thats seems right actually cuz i think roots usually grow out so the roots would be more complex most lickley in gradual sized pots

If you have time etc, your best bet is to go one size bigger in pot, when its all most root bound, move up till you get where you need to be. If you jump to a giant size the plant will spend al ot of time putting out new roots, not growing.
Its also a lot easier to judge water needs with a smaller pot. I think you might drwned a small plant in a 5 gallon bucket. I dont understand the transplant shock, just be gentle I have never had a problem with transplanting.......:peace:

so then would it be a negative thing to move a plnat from a small cup to a multi-gallon bucket? In the fact that supposidly the plant will spend more time producing roots than growing? If you did the transplant would you loose plant potential? or would the plnat focus on growing roots and eventually go back to sprouting up nicely? help is greatly appreciated seeing i'm about to transfer 11 plants and this is my first soil grow attempt so I'm not to educated on the tranplating of plants w/ soil anyways.
Thanks

thanks boss, i like to keep things simple:adore:
they all did fine, i actually set up a crappy drip system for eight days cuz i went to honolulu for a trip and it didn't work that well for a few plants, but seven that repotted are swelling up nicely, i'm excited to experience the difference in soil and hydro

Would a 3 gallon pot be big enough for a high yeilding 3 foot plant? I'd like to keep pot diamater at 10 inchs or so but could go deeeper if it will give better returns. I only have this restriction because of my grow space bing 20" by 28" for flowering chamber. Id like to utilize every square inch of floor space. I'm in 3.5 inch keg cups now and want to go straight to the 3 gallons. How long should I wait for this transplant? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom