Rice Balls to lower RH in jars

Could I place a few rice balls in a small cardboard box, and hang my bud above it? Changing the rice balls periodically to ‘control’ RH? I’m at 80-90% RH. Just need to dry out some water cured stuff. My other option is to put it in a box in the fridge but would probably take longer

I spread the rice on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 200° for about 45 minutes.

Rice contains Bacillus Cereus. It food poisons a lot of people every year. It's a spore forming microbe and the spores are resistant to high temperature. 250F for 1 hour is the minimum recommended time to kill the spores.

Or you could skip the dried rice ball in pantyhose trick by spreading the semi-wet buds out on a tray inside a tent with a little exhaust flow. This usually puts it into the 60% range in half a day or less.

Could I place a few rice balls in a small cardboard box, and hang my bud above it? Changing the rice balls periodically to ‘control’ RH? I’m at 80-90% RH. Just need to dry out some water cured stuff. My other option is to put it in a box in the fridge but would probably take longer
You could try it and see, but why not use the jars? It's much faster and has been shown to work. If your water cured buds are still that wet it's a good idea to get the moisture out quickly to prevent mold and rot.

What's the RH in your house?

@InTheShed sorry wasn’t clear, I meant my house RH is 80-90% constantly.
Would jar + rice ball do the trick to remove the initial moisture from the water cure then? I guess I thought a jar with soaking wet weed may produce mould (I’m a beginner). If it works in the jar I’ll deffo go that route

They are still water curing atm, tomorrow is day 6 and I think they’ll be ready to dry

@InTheShed sorry wasn’t clear, I meant my house RH is 80-90% constantly.
Would jar + rice ball do the trick to remove the initial moisture from the water cure then? I guess I thought a jar with soaking wet weed may produce mould (I’m a beginner). If it works in the jar I’ll deffo go that route

They are still water curing atm, tomorrow is day 6 and I think they’ll be ready to dry
I didn't realize you lived in a log in a bog in the fog!

They'll come out of the water at 100% RH so I would still drive off as much as I could in the open air with a fan on them. A day should do it. Then you could try the rice balls, but given the high RH in your log I'd definitely go with a jar rather than a box.

@InTheShed Thanks for the advice mate. Hahaha yeah that’s the best way to put it lol I need to get a dehumidifier. For the house aswell as the buds.. With such high humidity I was thinking of drying in an open container in the fridge.. would take longer but I would ensure it’s dry. Will give the fan & jar/rice balls a go too.. this rice ball trick is really interesting

@InTheShed apologies for going completely off topic on your thread.. I’ve have a placed the bud on a rack, then on a raised baking tray. I have a fan blowing directly on the buds. Room RH is 82%. I will try the rice ball trick once it’s a little dryer. I’m assuming it’s 200F ? Just asking because we use Celsius here lol

I was gonna dry in a box but they were dripping wet. I’m sure it’s no good to have a soggy drying box. I think a rack is the right choice for now

@InTheShed apologies for going completely off topic on your thread.. I’ve have a placed the bud on a rack, then on a raised baking tray. I have a fan blowing directly on the buds. Room RH is 82%. I will try the rice ball trick once it’s a little dryer. I’m assuming it’s 200F ? Just asking because we use Celsius here lol

I was gonna dry in a box but they were dripping wet. I’m sure it’s no good to have a soggy drying box. I think a rack is the right choice for now
Fahrenheit it is! Hot enough to dry it out but not so hot it burns.

Will any sealed bag work?

Thanks answering my questions mate. You’ve saved me with the water cure. The fan on the wet weed is working great, gradually removing that moisture.

Will any sealed bag work?

Thanks answering my questions mate. You’ve saved me with the water cure. The fan on the wet weed is working great, gradually removing that moisture.
Sealed bag instead of jars? For this part, yes, because the flowers aren't in there for long. But even a tightly closed plastic bag (Ziploc or otherwise) isn't airtight for storage like a canning jar.

So the buds feel a lot dryer. Some closer to the fans are crispy. I could smoke one in a bong.

I think I will try the rice trick with uncooked rice first. Reading online uncooked rice has desiccating properties. Cooked rice would probably draw too much moisture in my situation. I will make a cooked rice ball anyways, and if the uncooked doesn’t draw enough moisture I know what to do :)
Just a quick update

have a hygrometer in the room not the jar. The room is 80% currently. It dropped to 60% at one point during drying, don’t know how long for. was thinking maybe the fan was too close/strong to the buds, but you don’t think that would dry it out completely?

My second batch has much more moisture, will be using the rice ball trick to complete the dry.

It's great for areas like mine that rarely have low enough RH to dry out the harvest! Those folks who live at 50% just don't understand :).
Are you interested in turning your aeronater cloner, or other 5 gal bucket with tight-fitting lid, into an automated bulk curing rig that cures a whole plant or more, faster, better, and without constant burping of jars?
DIY-Auto-Cure-Part-List.jpg

Back
Top Bottom