ScienceGrow's Bag Seed Sativa - Alpha Clones - Soil - LED/CFL - Grow

Alright, so here's a picture from last week I meant to post. The big one is on the right.
DSC_2434.JPG

And this is what the big one looks like now.
DSC_24431.JPG

It really became a nice little bush, as did the others, and I haven't done anything but pull off some dead looking leaves.

I've put one outside and will just see what happens, and moved another to my other cabinet, and will switch these to 12/12 on Friday. I'm ready to try some of these other seeds and the clone in the veg cabinet should be able to keep this line alive. I really need to look into getting some feminized seeds out of this thing.

Beginners luck ran out.

I was doing a flush and my biggest plant started falling over. Caution: Don't grab falling plants by the stalk! I heard a terrible rip and my plant leaned on its side. I propped her back up, piled some soil on top to add a little stability and provide light nutrients.

So, I probably killed 1/3 of the root system. As such, we will be postponing the switch for probably two weeks to allow some recovery time.

Also found the plant I put outside had been munched on by some herbivorous animal. Could be rabbits or a groundhog, but I suspect it was my dogs. Moved it to a new location.

Not my week.

Roots recover pretty fast SG so your big one should be OK unless it ripped the roots right off the stalk altogether and that's very unlikely.

She's a bushy beast and looks like a smaller version of the big NL girl I have in a 4gal pot of ProMix.

L8r

Hey OMU, thanks for stopping by. I think she'll be fine, yeah, not too worried. Sounded mostly like a bunch of smaller roots ripping under the soil. Some new growth popped out a bit yellow-green, not sure if that's just a result, but it's still alive and some other new growth is normal.

Not much news, another week and I'll switch the two I left in the flower cabinet to 12/12 next week.

I hacked the mother down in size, she was a bit large compared to my 3 week old autos, blocking light.

The one I put outside is fine. She's probably gonna start flowering really soon, moved over to bloom nutes, but since I'm not sure she'll make it through to harvest, I'm using Jacks Classic instead of the much pricier Fox Farm.

Temps at night have been dipping into the 40s, so I'm doubting she'll make it to optimal harvest, but who knows.

Will update with pics in a week; sorry, kinda boring when things are going well in veg.

Pics tonight!

The big one I half ripped out of the container is fully recovered and still a beast. Switched to 12/12 and following fox farms schedule. Other plant in same cabinet is doing fine, nothing special.

Mother plant in other cabinet has to be trimmed down a lot every week. I need to get a composer for all thus plant matter. I'll likely take clones from her and grow them out when these are done, and flower her out too.

Outside plant got its first taste of frost and freezing temps last night. Will see how she fared tonight.

Hi guys. Yeah, I've been a very bad journal updater. Blame my son and his new teeth that make him angry and me tired. It's why I post info during the day, and have to do pics at night. But now that I have some active followers, I'll get some up tonight.

Yes cogreen, I've actually been putting the outdoor plant in my shed at night to keep frost and stray light off her. Bonus, apparently my shed is where all ladybugs on earth go to die(stay warm actually) so maybe they'll protect her while she's in there. Box elders too, but they're useless.

So, quick report and then I swear on my own grave to get pics up tonight.

The mother is trimmed down to a manageable size and is thriving in my veg cabinet.

Outdoor plant is soaking up lots of direct sunlight, and is starting to really flower up. My damn dog keeps eating her leaves, but I did write that piece on herbivory and terpene production so maybe it'll benefit me. I'm also hoping for purpling from the cold temps, but no idea if she's got the genes for it.

The other indoor plants are also starting to flower really well. I trimmed these prior to the switch, got all the dead, damaged, and really old leaves out, but they're still big bushes, no ridiculous defoliation like last time.

I've decided that these will go under my bigger LED after my autos finish, about a month. That should really help fatten up those flowers.

A few photos

Natural light. Still big and bushy after the trim. No worries, lots of wind in there, the fans are up above the light.

Lots of nice budsites topside, and generous foliage to feed them. There should be a good amount of popcorn too, and I've been meaning to try making some kind of extract.

Flowering has begun. I'm so excited to see this plant flower again, and hopefully do a much better job too.

Just realized my temps in my flower cabinet are low, 70 during lights on, 68 lights off. I've added some CFLs to help raise temps, and of course, add more light. 4 2300K, 23W CFLs. I placed these right over my tallest buds. Hopefully that will both keep them from growing much taller, and of course, fatten them up.

Well, my first plant I defoliated the hell out of and had decent results. This time I'm mostly letting them do their thing. I actually trimmed all of the lower growth that wasn't getting light after I took those, and removed a bunch of old dead leaves.

I'll mostly be tucking leaves and maybe a little thinning out but overall I'm happy with the SOG I ended up with. Tops are all within a couple inches of each other, height wise.

Next grow I'll probably try doing a manifold grow, looks badass, lots of control and order.

Also, if you're into defoliation, I wrote a little piece on how defoliation in the right way might increase terpene production, with the potential ability of "choosing" which terpenes to increase. It's just a hypothesis, still needs testing, but there's some real science behind the idea. Just another possible way to exploit defense mechanisms to make it do what you want.

Cool, I hope to do testing in the spring, though my dogs have been defoliating my outdoor plant so maybe I'll see something with that, haha. Doubtful.

Having issues in my auto grow that I can't figure out, my last idea is light. So, I'm gonna swap out the Galaxyhydro 300W and the CFLs I have over these for the 700W Mars Hydro over there. Hopefully that clears up my issues with the autos, and these guys will surely love the extra power and penetration.

Anyone have experience with a good Journal application? Grow buddy I find to be buggy and annoying. Grow Assistant is okay but I don't like how some of it is laid out, feels clunky. May start my own app if can't find anything better.

I must have missed something -- what "issues" are you having with your autos? Not that I would have a suggestion, but looking to learn.

I don't use any journal apps, but was considering writing a web app that allowed you to build, share, graph, rate, etc. nutrient schedules... After I did some research I came to the conclusion such an app would likely not reach a broad enough market to be worthy of my time. PM me if you get serious about this and would consider a co-author, I might be interested in helping out (I've been known to crank out some code).

They've been drooping for no apparent reason for several days. They don't perk back up so I don't think it's the normal sleep response. They're green and growing, so I don't think it's nutrients or any of the usual suspects. Humidity is right at 50%, temps are stable at 75 day, 68 night. Fan is blowing over plants but not heavily.

The light was honestly probably overpowered for the space, and a waste, considering how little foliage is in there.

These guys though, will definitely benefit from this light, as it fills every inch with brilliant light and is penetrating much deeper than before.

I've already made the switch, hopefully will see some change in the autos by tonight. If not, I'll probably stick with the new setup anyway. I had planned to do this from the start, but was waiting for the autos to finish first.

As for building a Journaling app. I'm going to search some more and maybe look at apps that aren't specific to Cannabis first. I agree, the market isn't quite large enough to invest what little time I have available. But then again, it would be a way to get into the industry. I code for a living, so it would be a good place to start.

I'll let you know. I mostly want a higher quality product than what's out there, so it would be a major project. I'd also likely be working in .NET, likely C#, not sure which DB yet.

Thanks for the info...

Another idea I had for an app was to write some lower-level software for a micro-board (like Parallella or Raspberry Pi) which would effectively allow you to automate grow "devices" based on inputs. e.g. USB (or other) temp sensor which can trigger fans, chillers, etc.. Again I feel like this would be a lost attempt at a market too small to justify the efforts.

In any case; if you are doing .NET I'm out... I don't dabble much in Windows technologies :)

Haha, I just started researching sensors for just that purpose, and wrote an android app for lux and temp. It currently takes input from a modified pH meter but that part has been a little buggy for me but I think that's mire a physical design flaw on the dongle itself.

Yeah, again, probably not enough market.

C#.NET is my daily language for work, aside from SAS and a java/xml language for IVR systems.

You could always write standard C# and create the object classes. That'd be a huge help.

So are you more into Java, or over in Python land? Or maybe you're even older than me and still enjoy assembly haha?

Cool -- sounds like you had some fun with sensors already! I read somewhere else on this site that a few others were munking around in this space as well.

Python is my go to general purpose server-side language, but it all depends on the app (everything from node.js to golang). I did Java for about 13 yrs but after getting into more dynamic languages like JS, Python, etc. I find Java's gorp to make it inefficient for dev. No assembly here; C is about as low as I go these days (for now).

Back
Top Bottom