ScienceGrow's Fast & Vast Autoflower In Soil Under LED

Made the switch last night, hopefully I'll see some change tonight. Everything else seems perfect, except maybe the temps at floor level, which are confirmed at 68F lights on. Canopy temp is 75.

I also found a bunch of people having similar issues with higher powered LED on younger and smaller plants. Also, this light was used to flower my last grow. Went great halfway through, then I started having many issues. I assumed it was something I did and couldn't correct the issues, but I guarantee the light was just too close.

Will see tonight hopefully.

Having been wrong a million and one times before, I'll say, tentatively, it looks like the light was the issue. Or the height of the light rather. Droop is gone, buds are fat.

I need to research and write something up on this. Most info I found on LED issues had to do with bleaching, which I wasn't seeing. I was seeing deficiencies. And in fact, that may be what they were, but I believe the root cause was the height of the light, and deficiencies were a symptom of that.

Now, why would I see deficiencies, when other see bleaching? First guess, they're using something on the leaves, like Rhino Skin, or similar. Their nutrient brand may contain something that protects the leaves. They may be in organic with microbes that do the same. Their lights may not contain the spectrum mine does, and that particular spectrum might be the culprit, such as UV-A. Or, perhaps the UV-B that HID bulbs produce helps counter the UV-A, whereas LED diodes don't come in UV-B. In people, it's UV-A causes skin aging, UV-B causes burn. But UV-B also causes melanin production, causing tanning to occur, which then protects it from both UV-A and UV-B. Same with Cannabis!

Anyway, lots of possibilities, but regardless, I think I'm sorted. I probably stunted the autos a week or less. That sucks, but I know for a fact that light height is now firmly on my checklist of things not to eff all up.

Watering the one that didn't get it the other day, as well as the Mother and the bagseed, which I've named Tim. Not that it's male, just thought it was a good name.

You doing great,plants look nice :thumb:
Regarding light schedule i would keep it 18/6 ;)
They need a bit rest ;) Personally i'm running mine on 16/12 :circle-of-love:
But that's only this grow. 18/6 is my next go ;)
You had some Cal/mag issue,i would feed them at 1/4 or 1/2 dose.
I got 2 autos aswell,and have not seen any problems.
I even fed it at 3/4 dose of cal/mag and they seem to love it.

Have a word with girls,and they will tell what they want:thumb:
Take care ;):goodjob:

The remote probe for my thermometer/hydrometer unit fell from its mount and landed on a lower branch of my tallest auto, breaking it at some point in the night. I taped it up.

How much time do you think this will set me back?

Aside from that, all is well, they get fed tonight, so pics coming. Including Macro pics of trichomes in natural light.

Pics tonight. Today is Day 41 since germination.

They're all looking pretty good, LOTS of nice buds all over the plants. I just hope they fatten up really good really soon. The trichomes are more than present but the bud weight is miniscule right now. Hopefully we'll see that happen in a week or so. This is marketed as done in 8 weeks, but most journals show harvest around 10-12 weeks. This makes me happy, and I hope is also my case.

They'll be getting a watering today or tomorrow. My local hydro guy gave me some free stuff I'll be trying. One is Thrive Alive B1, Red. The other is Vegetable and Fruit Yield Enhancer. They'll go in plain pHd water for this watering.

Both are really about promoting general plant health and resistance, but the yield enhancer does a bit more with its humic acid and beneficial microbes. I'll likely be getting something like Sugar Daddy soon as well, probably for the next feeding after tonights.

The broken branch healed itself insanely fast. If it slowed growth, I can't tell. Oh, and my red petioles and purple stems are fading back to green a bit, all new growth is green. I should have seen that red as sunburn, as that's probably essentially what it was. A chemical reaction caused by too intense light.

Interesting, hadn't heard of this technique before, though I was considering experimenting with seeing what happens when flowers are damaged by herbivory. This is basically what I was gonna do, cut part of the buds off.

My buds probably aren't big enough to do this with yet, but maybe. I'll read more on it and see what you guys think with the pics tonight. I have three plants so doing it to one wouldn't be all that bad, and might show how well it works comparatively.

And man, that would be a lot of work. These plants have a LOT of buds on them.

Thanks for the heads up, always cool to find new techniques.

Logic says it has potential, and experience with topping in veg backs up the science. I'll definitely do some comparison experiments with it once my buds are a little more developed. Maybe a week or so. Any idea if this is recommended for autos though? I finally have these healthy and happy and don't want to do anything to limit them at this point. I'll stick to only one plant and only a handful of lower budsites.

Oh, autoflower guys. Question.

A lot of people will harvest their tops and let lower buds go another week or so. Is this something to avoid with autos, or is it fine?

I really need to go through my journals and like all these helpful posts. I'm on mobile and there's no like button. Feel like a jerk.

Thanks for the tips rifleman!

Oh, yep, looks like I was being impatient on bud fattening, at least according to this page: Life cycle of autoflowering cannabis

So, I drop my grow big at next feeding, just flower nutes and big bloom, and I'll be adding the two new additives I got.

Photos! Day 41.

Here's the three lined up and measured. Between 22" and 26".
DSC_25221.JPG

View image in gallery

Some closeups

And now for the macro shots.

They were dry so I watered with 3mg CalMag+, Thrive Alive, and the microbe juice at about 6.0pH, 72F, dechlorinated water. About 350ppm including 250 from tap. I'm bumping up the nutrients slightly on the next feeding.

I'm happy with how it's going at this point, I expect them to start swelling in a week or two.

Anyone know if this is going well?

Cool close up pics!

I have a dumb question -- should your plants have yellowing leaves this early in flower??

Your plants have an interesting structure; almost thin like (that's not a negative comment BTW)... Do you think that's the strain + auto action?

Also in your close-ups, it looks like some of the trichs are amber already... It must just be the lighting.

Yeah, yellowing on the lower ones about now seems to be normal from what I've read. But waiting for an auto grower to say for sure. I have no idea if they're doing well or not, even considering my early issues.

The stems, I've heard are often thin on autos due to the fast grow time. I've purchased some yoyo supports just in case. Again, no idea if that really normal.

Yeah, definitely the lighting. That's the shadow from a 2300K CFL. Many do appear milky though. Not sure it's true but I've read a few times that autos don't go amber as much. Again, Internet rumour, no idea if true. Hoping rifleman or another auto grower can answer some of these.

From my searches, I seem to be doing about average. I accept that.

After these are done, I've got a bunch more autos coming. Krippleberry, Snow Storm 2, fruit punch, and some Girl Scout Cookies. Working out a schedule to have these rotate through my cabinets and get the most production I can at a time. Next grows will only do better and better.

Then towards spring, I'll be starting all my regular and feminized seeds, getting ready for outdoors. Will be going all organic outdoors, I think.

Fast and Vast an allegedly 56 day indica dom. You still have a ways to go. She is really just starting to get fuzzy. Gonna be some frosty nugs. The yellowing on the bottom is normal, although you might have a bit more than normal. I'm not a soil grower so I suck at those problems and solutions. Look up Emilya, she is a soil grower with an apparent abundance of knowledge that she freely shares. BTW sorry it took so long to respond, busy day on the farm. Company coming and the goats are throwing a party.

I was looking at your macro shots and literally said out loud "Look at that man. That is f'in groovy!"

That's a fantastic reaction. Glad you like them. Newer ones should be sharper, those were taken without a tripod and the focal area is TINY. Any movement throws it off.

Yeah, it does seem maybe a little early to me for the yellowing. I sent a message to Emilya, hopefully she'll stop by and give her two cents. She does seem to know her stuff..

I agree, I think I have at least two more weeks, maybe three, based on other journals for this strain. One harvested at 80 days, nearly twice these girls current age. I could handle that.

Oh, and no worries, I appreciate the input.

All three were fed last night.

I inoculated my water with the microbe brew and some molasses and had it bubbling for about 48 hours. Hopefully I generated a nice colony.

2ml Calmag+, 10ml Big Bloom, 6ml Tiger Bloom, 4ml Thrive Alive, 5ml Yield Enhancer. Those were what went into my top performer. I adjusted the harsher nutes down slightly for the other two. Brought pH up a little to 6.3, had been watering at around 6 with little drift.

They've started fattening, which is a relief. Stigmas are still 98% white, I'd say we're about 70% clear trichomes, 30% cloudy, at most. So I think that despite my issues, I'll be relatively happy with the results.

Oh, smell. The smell started about a week ago and is stronger every day. My little carbon filter solution may not cut it. I'll be picking up an inline filter tomorrow.

I may have found another coder to help with the app., and I learned of a strain database website that has an API I can hook into to use their strain data. That's huge, in my opinion. A huge time saver for filling data in, and a nice guide at least for estimating flowering time and yield based on all the other variables.

Will also be including a beginners mode with a live tutorial and live tips/warnings, and a plant health troubleshooter, that will use all available data and some questions to the user about symptoms. Provided they enter their data correctly, should be able to narrow issues down pretty easily.

Anyway, I'll probably post pics at the next feeding, probably Saturday or Sunday. See you then!

Both plus mobile for journal data entry. Lots to think about and plan out.

So quick little update on the autos.

Two are still just building, slowly, but stigmas are still 99% white and trichomes are mostly clear so I figure I've got a good deal of time. The actual completed grows for this strain seem to finish around 80 days, so that's kind of a relief.

But my smallest doesn't seem to be doing much and the stigmas are browning and curling. Will need to take some macro shots to check trichomes but i think she'll be a bit of a dud.

The smell continues to strengthen, picking up a carbon filter this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom