First Time Grow: 2 Fast 2 Vast

Circulating air is critical to drying specifically to prevent mold. It shouldn't be an issue if you are doing that and leaving space between what you are hanging.

I assume you can't control the air or temperature? What's the humidity been like for the past week? That will have an effect on your drying time. You've got 3 days to another week left. Then you start to cure.

I haven't come across anything very good explaining about the why and what is actually happening when you cure. I haven't read anything bad about letting weed hang to long. I have on the other hand screwed a couple up, so I know what not to do. It's not a good time to be fixing weed that still has chlorophyll in it. The extra few days you should have let it dry costs at least a couple more weeks of curing. Even then you will have a different smell. My experience with curing is that it can be a bit of a pain in the ass for the first week or so.

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::theband::goodluck::cheer::cheer::cheer:

It all looked good other than that one bit, I think the cable for my circulation fan is a bit faulty and the air must have been static. It’s been hanging for about ten days now, I’m not totally sure when to start jarring, which stems should I be checking as to whether they ‘bend’ or ‘snap’ to determine dryness?

Congrats !! You've shown more patience than most people in letting your weed hang. What is your tent humidity? What has it been like for the past 10 days? If you don't know, guess, but give a reason for your guess. I never got the bend or snap thing either. Paranoia kicks in. Did I hear a snap. What if they don't all snap? 10 days in relatively low/medium humidity is pretty good. High humidity is not.

You don't have to jar everything at the same time. Not everything dries equally, but generally it's close enough. The thing to keep in your mind is that it isn't going to hurt to give them a couple more days to be sure. Each day of drying is equivalent to at least a week of burping. If you even think you smell chlorophyll (hay), you are not done. Jarring buds with chlorophyll smell is a bad mistake. It will depress you. If you smell nothing, don't worry. The smell is there. Just crack open a bud.

Curing is drying, but at a slower rate.

How to cure. If you don't burp, you will grow mold. Fill each jar no more than 2/3. Half is probably better. You might think they are dry, but they are not. You will have to burp at least twice a day for the first week or two. You can tell by the degree of eye watering smell coming out of the jars when you open them. Give them a bit of a shake to keep the buds from fusing together and to make sure you are getting air around them. I don't think you can over burp. Work to a schedule. Store them in a cool, dark place (like a closet or cupboard). I can't give you any more advice beyond this, because I don't know. I'm a couple weeks into flower, so I'll be at that stage around the new year. I don't know when you put the Boveda packs in. I would think after you have done burping them more than once a week (about 6 weeks after start), but I'm guessing. That's what I did.

Pics always help.

:passitleft:

Oh yeah. Did you save your trim? Are you making hash with it?

Hey, if you don’t go by the snap test then I won’t either!
I’ve not got a hygrometer but I think the humidity is low/medium, the walls don’t feel damp and the air seems dry so I think I’m good. I’ll probably leave them hanging a day or too more just to play it safe.
I might try putting a few buds in jars and seeing if any moisture appears as a test before I stick more in. I can’t smell any hay it but it doesn’t smell as green and fresh any more, but it does still smell strong (I hope that makes sense!)
I was going to make some butter with the trim as there isn’t that at much, maybe 1/2 oz

How’s it going?

All good thanks, they’re jarred up now and I’m burping them a couple of times a day. Quite a lot of the buds are a little airy but for a first go I’m pretty happy overall. I’ve noticed that some of the buds smell really good but others smell like cut grass, maybe something went wrong when I was drying.

I’ve put the last couple of seeds I got in damp paper towels to germinate a few days ago so I can get going with another grow but they don’t seem to have started opening :/ should I give up on these seeds and get some others or can it take a while to open sometimes? It seems odd for both seeds to be duds

Glad its going well. The buds that smell like cut grass are not dry. That smell is chlorophyll. If you tip them into a brown paper bag and then burp the bag for a couple of days, they will dry better. The paper bag absorbs moisture. Not 100% guaranteed, but its what I would do. Smoking chlorophyll sucks.

When seeds that should sprout dont in my experience its generally because of the environment. I’m guessing its too cold. They need a dark, relatively warm room. I put the seeds in a paper towel and put that inside a plastic tub loosely covered with the lid. I’d adjust the environment, make sure the towel is wet, and give it another 2 days. If they haven’t sprouted by then, they aren’t going to.

So I’m saying it’s all as cured as it can be now, I think the humidity when I was drying was way higher than I had originally thought, I had them hanging for 20 days almost and they never fully dried until I paper bagged them. Ah well you live and learn, got a couple of oz overall so I’m calling this grow a success but I have a lot to learn about the final stages of a grow, in particular drying and curing. I’ll invest in a dehumidifier for my next harvest.
So it smokes/vapes nicely and gets me pretty high with a couch lock effect that I like so I think I chopped it at the right time, the flavour is a weird one, some of the buds taste amazing, nice and fruity with an almost sour affect to it, and some of the other buds don’t taste of much at all but still get me high which is the main thing. I don’t think I’d fully cured the tasteless ones as they only smell like weed when I grind it up which suggests that the ‘good stuff’ is still in the middle and working it’s way out. Never mind, I’m happy with how I did. Thanks to everyone for chipping in and helping me out!
The two other seeds turned out to be duds, or I fucked ‘em. Either way they didn’t pop :(

I’ve planted a BCN critical xxl auto :)

Well done. Email the moderator to move your journal to completed. Post some bud pics, if you can. Did you get some Bovida 62 packs for your jars?

:cool:

I didn’t get hold of any Bovida packs unfortunately, but I’m going to make sure that I do for my next grow, as well as a dehumidifier too.
All in all I’m happy with the result and the only problems I encountered were in the drying/curing stage so I know to be better prepared there.
Those two other seeds were goosed but I’ve had better look with a BCN critical xxl auto which has just sprouted so I’m gonna start a new grow journal for that one.
Big thanks to anyone and everyone who has chipped in and helped me out, it made a big difference to my grow

I didn’t get hold of any Bovida packs unfortunately, but I’m going to make sure that I do for my next grow, as well as a dehumidifier too.
All in all I’m happy with the result and the only problems I encountered were in the drying/curing stage so I know to be better prepared there.
Those two other seeds were goosed but I’ve had better look with a BCN critical xxl auto which has just sprouted so I’m gonna start a new grow journal for that one.
Big thanks to anyone and everyone who has chipped in and helped me out, it made a big difference to my grow

Bovidas are for now (storage). Not during the initial curing. You need to store your buds at 62% RH, which is what the packs do. If you are under or over, it adjusts. They aren't expensive and last a very long time. I'm still smoking week from 2 years ago.

:ganjamon:

Hope all is well in your world.

Thanks for sharing this grow with us.

Please head over to the 420 Strain Reviews forum and post your smoke report there too.

I’m moving this to Completed Journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please feel free to start a new journal here: Journals in Progress

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom