Security Guard Shot Dead At Mid-Wilshire Pot Clinic

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
A security guard at a Mid-Wilshire area medical marijuana clinic was shot and killed during an apparent robbery attempt Wednesday afternoon, police said.

Officer Jason Lee with the Los Angeles Police Department said several men, all about 25 to 30 years old, confronted the male security guard, in his 20s, at the La Brea Collective, 812 S. La Brea Ave., shortly after 3:30 p.m. and shot him several times. The guard, whose identity has been withheld pending notification of his family, died a short time later at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Lee said.

Officers responding to the incident combed the area and made several arrests, Lee said. Officers kept several blocks cordoned off until about 9 p.m, when they concluded their search.

Lee could not say how many people had been detained.

"We're not calling them suspects, just people of interest," Det. Frank Carrillo of the LAPD's Wilshire Homicide unit told reporters at the scene. He said the victim had "numerous gunshot wounds."

Jess McKay, 25, said he was driving south on La Brea, heading to Torrance, when he "heard a pop, a really loud noise, and then another one."

McKay said he saw three men at the door of the clinic and heard six shots. He drove away when the men looked in his direction but then returned to the scene about 8 p.m. to tell police what he had witnessed.

At least two bullet holes could be seen in the window of a discount furniture store next door, and the window at the La Brea Collective was cracked.

No other information was immediately available.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Los Angeles Times
Author: Corina Knoll and Jean Merl
Copyright: 2008 Los Angeles Times
Contact: How to Contact the Los Angeles Times - Los Angeles Times
Website: Security guard shot dead at Mid-Wilshire pot clinic - Los Angeles Times

more info:

Two men arrested in killing of marijuana clinic guard

Two men were in custody today in connection with the shooting death of a security guard killed in an apparent robbery attempt at a Miracle Mile medical marijuana clinic.

Leon Banks, 31, and Lovie Matthew, 30, were booked on suspicion of murder, and each were being held in lieu of $1 million bail, said Los Angeles Police Officer Kate Lopez.

Security guard Noe Campos Gonzalez, 25, of Los Angeles, died of gunshot wounds, said Officer April Harding of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Gonzalez was working at the La Brea Collective at 812 S. La Brea Ave. about 3:45 p.m. Wednesday when "several armed" men walked into the business "with the intent to rob the dispensary," Lopez said. A struggle started, and one of the men pulled out a handgun and shot Gonzalez. The men then fled on foot, Lopez said.

Gonzalez was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

Authorities searched today for a third person they said was involved in the shooting: a black man in his 20s with a slim build, 5-feet-7 and 160 pounds. Police say his hair was styled in corn rows, and he was wearing a white tank top, beige shorts and white sneakers.

Anyone with information is requested to call police at (877) LAWFULL.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Los Angeles Times
Author: Tami Abdollah,
Copyright: 2008 Los Angeles Times
Contact: How to Contact the Los Angeles Times - Los Angeles Times
Website: Two men arrested in killing of marijuana clinic guard - Los Angeles Times

Hmmm... Are armed guards necessary to provide adequate protection for the clinics? Things like this that happen just add to people's negative thoughts about cannabis. What a shame.

armed guards for downtown LA..... there shouldnt be any dispensaries in shady areas. i never visit la clubs because its scary. You should have a safe and professional place to go and get your medication privately and discreetly. I heard yesterday of a building that has four dispensaries right next door to eachother door after door after door after door.... guys who look like ex cons walking in and out. i dont go to places like this. If someone wants the meds and donations they should just give it over. your life isnt worth the risk. These clubs keep too much $$$ and inventory on site. its crazy. my grandson has a friend who works at one and they keep way tooo much at thier place.... not cool.. I pray for the guards family and soul.... he died protecting our rights.... i want to send money to his family is thier a fund set up for him or can we start one????!!!!!

That is most unfortunate, young guy too.

Clinics would do better by not keeping large amounts of stock and/or cash on the premises at any given time. I'm also surprised the security guard was not able to return fire.

Noe Campos Gonzalez was a martyr for the cause and another victim of the war on drugs / people.

Very sad! Our prayers go out to the family and friends of this young man. May God bring you peace and sooth your heart from this sensless crime.

depends on guard. if he has a carry permit or not. armed guard is the only way to go. otherwise just as soon as robbers walk in hand them the keys and walk out its not wortha couple thousand dollars in $$$and prod.

I agree with Bubba Kush! I went to a club in the valley (fya house i think). A fucked up ghetto area. I'm a man of color I know what the hood is like but how can you operate a strong cash flow business and a lot of weed in a strange area. Poor Secuirty Guard had to leave this earth for a few bucks an hour:( OC is hard to business (conservatives) but shit I'm sure there nice areas in LA County. Medical Store owners should invest a little more by searching for better areas. Patients are still being over charged anyways! :peace::peace:

many cities/towns force dispensaries to locate where they do by using zoning ordnances.

Hello,

True. It's all being controlled by lawyers and courts. Why not invest more money on good lawyers to approve better zoning. Money does talk. Just like any typical Pharmacy (walgreens for example) probably are detailed and concerned about there zoning and demography.

true and it was in broad daylight but when five hoods come in i would be on alert and what good is having a guard unless he is armed

I don't care if your in Beverly Hill, Ca. Guards must be armed. There are thousands of contracted security companies that provide armed Secuirty officer for what 30bucks an hour and break off the guard with 12-18bucks depending on the company and experience you hold. Nonetheless, I'm going to boycott all medical places till I hear they change the infstructure of there business plans by securing there contractors and consumers at ALL times. Your death is under God's will. But when hear news like this it seemed like Gang Lord went at it and there maybe serious issue behind the poor guards death. Bubba Kush is my favorite by the way "BubbaKusH". I hear it's been coming around oc lately...

Right on dude, post that picture of the bubba kush...I think it's # 1 all the time depending on the grower! Trimmers....are you waiting on a order for trimmers or you asking for physical help to trim your buds...

-One Love :peace:

Give firearms to licensed law abiding citizens for the express purpose of defending themselves from the criminal and morally corrupt actions of thugs?

Now your just being crazy!

I agree with RooRman's irony. :) :peace:

Back
Top Bottom