Seedling with Double Stem - anyone ever see this before?

oiuhdfukg

I germinated this a few days a go and two taproots popped out. Sure enough it looks like two separate stems have taken root. Anyone ever see this before? It's a new one for me.
SAM_09382.JPG

Re: Seedling with Double Stem... anyone ever see this before?

Is it possible to get two plants from one seed? I hope they're both female!

Is it possible to get two plants from one seed? I hope they're both female!

If they sprouted from one seed then they are twins and will undoubtedly be the same sex. You should try to grow it out and see what happens....

I have seen this twice before. Neither were my own, they were journals online.
In one case, the stronger of the two took off and rooted well while the second hardly held a portion of the roots, stunted in growth, and was eventually cut away out of fear of mold or rot.
Second case, they developed a symbiosis and seemed to encourage each other to root and grow and they both vigorously developed into beautiful plants making the other of its kind, all single seed single plant developers planted at the same time, pale in comparison.

This is what I see so far. One twin has a bright green seedling color and is pulling away from the seed shell better while the other twin is pale and purple and still tighter under the shell and membrane. I am not saying to do anything about this yet, just observe. These ladies (hopefully ladies) still haven't used up their magic seed life energy and can go much further without too much interference from you. Seeds are amazing things, not just sweet mj seeds, but all seeds. Don't put your light too close to the twins because they did not lose the seed while pushing through the medium they are planted in. If the light is close while the seed shell and/or seed membrane are still covering the cotyledons it will dry out the membrane and squeeze it against the seeding. I would let her give a bit of stretch to see if that pushes her through the seed portion. (Normally not recommended for new seedlings with leaves out and proud but if she hasn't shed her seed under the medium she is going to need an extra oompf to get it handled.) If the plant can not overcome the seed shell and membrane on its own you will have to perform some very delicate surgery to remove it without causing damage to the cotyledons. It requires a steady, gentle, trained hand to do this. And, in this case, you have four cotyledons to worry about, not two.

What strain is this? Which seedbank?

It's Sensi-Star. I have christened the twins Mary and Jane (how original, eh? :bravo:). By this morning they had already discarded the seed casing and are looking a bit frail but healthy. Fingers crossed. This will be an interesting grow if they stay healthy.
SAM_09392.JPG

You can look at my Northern Lights grow for an example. I left them together for a few weeks, then split them. They both grew well.

pantagruel-s-3rd-northern-lights

You can look at my Northern Lights grow for an example. I left them together for a few weeks, then split them. They both grew well.

pantagruel-s-3rd-northern-lights

Cool, I was just reading through your journal. I take it yours came from feminized seeds?

I'm very open to opinions on whether or not to separate them. I'd prefer to but I'm scared of damaging them in the process, so I'm leaning more towards leaving them be. Is it more advisable to separate them or just let 'em grow together as they are now?

I would let them grow as they are. It's not uncommon for one of them to stunt naturally while the other grows normally. Sometimes both grow at the same rate, and sometimes neither makes it. But better to attempt a separation only when there is an established root system.".

Zactly. That's what I did. If you are used to transplanting it's not hard to separate them when they get bigger.

I separated them a few days ago. They both look pretty healthy but one is extremely small. The other is growing well.

Really glad to hear they both made it! I bet one was just able to draw more of that seed life magic energy. Even when you plant two seeds of the same type you still see some grow quicker and more vigorous than others. If you are planning for her to be a mother, I would take clones from the stronger of the two, so you have a more vigorous phenotype of the genetics. Also, I wonder if she would be prone to make you more twin seeds? You ever grow for seeds? Its a similar method all the way to the end, where you don't cut according to what the bud trichomes but later, following the maturity of seeds.

Back
Top Bottom