Seedlings look a bit weak

SlowSlap

420 Member
Hiya folks!

Berlin-based grower here, returning to growing after a loooong time. Hooray for the recent legalisation!
I've grown indoor (HID Scrog) and outdoor in the past, bust since I don't smoke, it's been almost 20 years now.

Here are two (Cherry Pie) seedlings, about 2 weeks after I put the seeds straight into soil (just a few hours pre-soaked in water). Broke surface after 3 days, so this is Day 11 above ground.

They are tiny (maybe 2-3 inches) and I decided to repot when their growth basically stopped for a few days. That was a good decision (new growth afterwards) and went well. The roots looked healthy, unexpectedly long and thin actually, with very little lateral growth.

Now they are in a mix of 25% soil, 10% clay pebbles, 10% coffee grounds and the rest coco coir.
Moisture level seems OK now, very fluffy medium and lots of air. Love the coco!

I have a heat mat under the box, hooked up to a temp sensor. Soaked clay pebbles at the bottom of the box.
Rather DIY, but this keeps a very stable, low maintenance environment at 22°C air temperature and 65% (+/-3) humidity.

Soaked the coco with a weak (diluted to 15% of normal dose) nutrient solution before potting, and have that in my spray bottle (no watering needed so far).

I think, initially the pure soil medium was just too compact, hence the decision to repot. Additionally, I might have overdone it with the light, so lightburn could have been another issue.

Now using a (diffused) 4000k / 11w LED at 4-5 inches plus a quantum board dimmed to 30/40% at 20 inches.
Photone tells me around 200 PPFD at plant level.

I removed the dome today which was rather open and ventilated anyway. Medium was not drying off with the dome on, but it wasn't wet either, just fluffy and moist. I don't know how coco retains water, but it seems OK to me.

They look OKish and seem to do better, but the eye test is noticeably on the yellow / pale side.
Solid green in the center / around the veins, but rather pale towards the edges.

Anything I should look out for or check? I'm just watching and waiting, but would rather course-correct early if someone with more experience has any advice.

Cheers & Thanks!

Welcome to the group. I am sure that you will find many growers here who use methods similar to yours and will be able to help and offer tips for better growing.

Now they are in a mix of 25% soil, 10% clay pebbles, 10% coffee grounds and the rest coco coir.
It might be me but that is not the best recipe. Need more soil/dirt/compost and no coffee grounds. I have nothing against 'used coffee grounds' being added to a compost pile or directly into or onto the soil in my vegetable garden since the ratio turns into something closer to .01% or less.

The clay pebbles might not be helping out either since they contribute nothing to the soil mix that the plant can use. A bit of regular clay as found in many outdoor soils is OK but clay that has been processed and baked until it is a stone is not doing much good. They are used for some methods of hydroponic growing and it does not look like you are trying for a hydro grow.

Getting rid of the two ingredients and mixing up equal amounts of quality soil and Perlite and coco coir will produce a much better mix that will do more for the plants.

Hiya folks!

Berlin-based grower here, returning to growing after a loooong time. Hooray for the recent legalisation!
I've grown indoor (HID Scrog) and outdoor in the past, bust since I don't smoke, it's been almost 20 years now.

Here are two (Cherry Pie) seedlings, about 2 weeks after I put the seeds straight into soil (just a few hours pre-soaked in water). Broke surface after 3 days, so this is Day 11 above ground.

They are tiny (maybe 2-3 inches) and I decided to repot when their growth basically stopped for a few days. That was a good decision (new growth afterwards) and went well. The roots looked healthy, unexpectedly long and thin actually, with very little lateral growth.

they were probably developing root structure when that was happening.

not a good mix.
"soil" is a mix that could be anything. we'd need to know what it is comprised of.
clay pebbles add nothing to the mix, fall to the bottom of the media over time, raising the water table and causing issues.
coco and soil should not be mixed as they are opposing media that run under different ph rules.
coffee grounds raises acidity like crazy in a pot. they are best for composting in open garden areas.

I have a heat mat under the box, hooked up to a temp sensor. Soaked clay pebbles at the bottom of the box.
Rather DIY, but this keeps a very stable, low maintenance environment at 22°C air temperature and 65% (+/-3) humidity.

heat mat is alright for a short period. it will promote early root growth. take it away as soon as the seedlings are established. a mat can cook the roots if left too long, and the plants harden off sooner without.

air temp is a bit low and rh is too high. it can work for now though.

I think, initially the pure soil medium was just too compact, hence the decision to repot. Additionally, I might have overdone it with the light, so lightburn could have been another issue.

they look more suffocated than over lit. bit too wet but recovering.

Now using a (diffused) 4000k / 11w LED at 4-5 inches plus a quantum board dimmed to 30/40% at 20 inches.
Photone tells me around 200 PPFD at plant level.

what's the light rig ? 2 lights at 2 heights sounds complicated. i'd leave everything about the same height as the qb.

I removed the dome today which was rather open and ventilated anyway. Medium was not drying off with the dome on, but it wasn't wet either, just fluffy and moist. I don't know how coco retains water, but it seems OK to me.

seedlings hate domes. that's a clone only thing. let the seedling breathe and it will develop better and faster. it will also be healthier and harden off to your conditions quicker.

They look OKish and seem to do better, but the eye test is noticeably on the yellow / pale side.
Solid green in the center / around the veins, but rather pale towards the edges.

not bad at all. they will start to take off soon.

Thanks a lot for the replies, really appreciate it! I just like to experiment and use whatever I have at hand.

The tap water here is a bit higher ph at 7.4 so thought, I'd throw in some coffee. In some general gardening blogs, I read that spent coffee grounds (as opposed to just ground coffee beans) don't have such a big impact on acidity and I've been using it for my other plants here and there when they need repotting. I actually didn't expect much effect at all other than better drainage and slightly lower ph.

I had some ph issues in my past grows so that was probably my subconscious & me just overthinking it.

I was going to pick up some perlite / vermiculite, but just didn't find the time yet.

Heat mat is not directly unter the pots, and just meant to keep the temp in the box stable. I'm not sure how to raise temperature. This is basically a 2x2 broom closet I wasn't using, with a 10ft high ceiling, so a lot of volume. Weather is improving though, so it should be fine.

I'll just watch for a few days and see how it goes. Really happy to have visible growth again.

In some general gardening blogs, I read that spent coffee grounds (as opposed to just ground coffee beans) don't have such a big impact on acidity and I've been using it for my other plants here and there when they need repotting.
Used coffee grounds do not have anywhere near the acidity of unused grounds. But 10% can be more than some plants can handle. That amount might be OK with a Philodendron for exampe but these Cannabis plants seem to be really picky, especially when young.

Back
Top Bottom