Seeds, Hermies, Stress Training and Male/Female Ratios

I do understand that light poisoning can cause male flowers to appear and various types of stress can cause latent hermie traits to appear but I'm unclear on the following...

I'm wondering if the sex of the plant can be affected by the additional stress of LSTing or is the sex locked into the seed and predetermined before it's planted?

If not, how and why does a plant become one sex or the other?

The other question I have is, if I use the pollen from a hermie and pollinate a good stable female, will it produce any seeds that don't have hermie traits? Or, will it produce any pure females that aren't likely to go hermie?

Thanks!!

:peace:

Harry

is the sex locked into the seed and predetermined before it's planted?

I don't think so, evident from high N producing more females.

Not sure, sounds like a lab experiment to me :cheesygrinsmiley:

I find no hermie traits passed.
And I've played with it. ....
well now, it may be that you see more male flowers at the end that in some.
Still ain't sure about that, this a trait of an XX plant or not.
may take a few more generations to get a handle on it, for me personally.

excuse my ignorance but whats the 'N' in keep the N up'?
i also read (cant find the thread now) that keeping seeds near ripe bananas can influence their sex. anyone know how long they should be kept near the ripe nana before germinating? worth a try :grinjoint:

Now back to this Hermie thing :cheesygrinsmiley:

Is it a Hermie or an XX !??!
That's the question.

Cees is Mr. XX

Female seed

Dutch Passion has also done some great research/experimenting.
"Dutch Passion Feminised Seeds (text taken from Dutch passion "feminized seeds")
In an experiment done in 1999 we grew 15 varieties of "feminized" seeds. We started with 30 seeds per variety. The goals were: 1) to determine the percentages of female, male, and hermaphroditic plants. 2) to compare the uniformity (homogeneity) among plants from "feminized" seeds with those grown from "regular" seeds.

1. The results were excellent. Nine out of fifteen varieties had 100% female offspring. Percentages of female plants from the other 6 varieties were between 80 and 90%. These plants were all hermaphrodites, producing their male flowers at the end of their lifecycle. Seed-setting hardly took place. No males were found.

2. Approximately 70% of the plants of varieties grown from "feminized" seeds were far more uniform than plants grown from "regular" seeds of the same variety. About 20% of the varieties were a little more uniform, while in 10% of the varieties no difference in uniformity was seen. "

I define a hermie as alot of male flowers at the time they show sex.
An XX I define as a female plant that produces male flowers late into flowering.
So it seems to me :cheesygrinsmiley:

excuse my ignorance again DaMan (and the abbreviation, hope thats ok :grinjoint:) mine was an XX in that case she was all girl until i noticed first seeds then male bits (are they called flowers when there not actually open?). another thing the trichs appeard to lose their cloudy look,not sure whether they went clear again or green but the buds where i could see male bits or seeds developing looked green rather than frosted like the buds lower down where there wernt male flowers.

:peace:

mine was an XX in that case she was all girl until i noticed first seeds then male bits (are they called flowers when there not actually open?)
I call them all flowers male or female. :cheesygrinsmiley:
I can't remember the proper names because I never use them.
Nope hermie,
the point is,
an XX will not produce seed on the plant.Just male flowers.
The female flowers are so far along that they can't produce seed from the male pollen released by the new male flowers.

Unless, she is also still putting out new female flowers.
I would have to say that's a hermie.
If I understand right. :cheesygrinsmiley:

thanks Dagoman, theres so much to learn. so she was a hermie after all cos of the seeds, not an XX :( i think she changed about 4/5weeks into flower (if thats possible) i didnt see any male flowers at the begining,i only first noticed the buggers at about 8wks, once id found one i started spotting more, with that and the loss of smell i thought to cut my loses and cut her early.

ps. she was still growing new flowers, she looked far from finished at 8wks!

That's the tough part that probably varies from strain to strain.
Then you also have to figure on strain stability.

Either way,
if you use the hermie/XX pollen on a different female,
that doesn't show male flowers,
you get female seed. With very few if any males or hermies.

Back
Top Bottom