Seeds Original & Knock Offs: A Causal Topic

zigzagburning

Hey been awhile sense I actually made a thread on here. Me an couple of buddy's had conversation about this and it seems like a topic to strike up on a form.

We talked about how the seed business jumped in popularity over the last year. Many strains out there these days and I don't know about any body else but when I go to buy seeds I get lost in the choices. Know mater what I pick ,I was taught to make sure it is from the original breeder that way you know your getting close to the cultivar that caught your eye.

If a strain does good in the market and starts winning cups you will notice other breeders will get on board trying reproduce that strain. It is a common occurrence in the seed world . For example White Widow which was originally breed by green house seeds. Which was a land race haze X land race south India indica . How many breeders are putting this out today and are the all the true strain?
I have seen many versions of this strain though a lot are close but there are some out there that are not close at all.

came to a blank but will add more later

But please leave your thoughts and lets get deep :green_heart::Namaste:

There has been a huge influx of breeders over the past year. Maybe in the neighborhood of 200 new banks. The real questions I have is in germ rates/viability. Its common to get a 4/25 pop rate then the 28% "fire" is actually weak. So I say for myself, get regular beans and when you find the ones that pop in good numbers and hit hard at the finish just seed crop and forget the world.

Yeah, I noticed this myself about all the fake genetics. I just try to do as much research into the strain as I can and get whatever is closest to the original if I cant get that. What amazes me is when I see a knock off that doesn't have the same parent strains let alone trying to use similar phenos of the original parent strains. Crazy stuff.

The fakes and copies have been around since the get go. It is not new. Part of the problem is the breeders. The rest of the blame is on the growers themselves. If people were not buying the copies they wouldn't make them.

What is really funny. Is everyone is still carrying all these fakes and copies and people are still buying them. People will buy cheap seeds Then be mad when they ended up with low quality weed. Most will blame it on the strain and not grow it again.

Too many people want to take the easy way out. If things didn't change way back when. They will never change now. Buying genetics is going to become hard not easier as things grow even more.

If you suspect a knock off or scared to not know how to pick them out. Don't worry they most likely will still pop. If starting off your fist grow ,it really doesn't matter at that point. Start honing in on the skill direct all time and effort to that. When starting off I did it outdoors and from bag seed. I got them off the pot I use to buy on the streets. Back then feminized seeds weren't really common so some times you get males. But the weed was good usually big bud or skunk. It was hard to figure out some times what the strain actually was but I was just glade that I can grow pot. As I progressed froward so did the strains and the ability to give them to us close to the original.
Some breeders out there do get cuttings of male and female from other breeders of a strain. But they will usually tell you if that was the case. There are a few that will do this. One I am familiar with is CANUK Seeds which is part of another company True North Seed bank. CANUCK seeds meaning Canada and UK . They will make other UK breeder strains here in Canada and they call these elite Strains. They either do this in a col-lab or have permission to reproduce the strain and are given cuttings usually to do this.
Their others out there that will take a different cultivar of the same strains and put them together and name it after the original strain of the original breeder. Some can be very close and some could even be better but sense it is not the true strain used it can be also a shot in the dark.

Below are some breeders from the biginning that do their own or will use other breeders true strains.

Green House Seeds (Strain Hunters)
DNA genetics
Dutch Passion
Jordan of the island
Barney's Farm
Nirvana
Reserva Privada
Paradise Seeeds
Just a few of my head feel free to add more.

Great point on starter seeds. You want it to do good but no use wasting great genetics on the first grow. Easy to grow is the Key for starting. Every breeder has a easy strain that is still pretty good.

The key is finding the difference between low priced and cheap.

I'm really not sure. Super Lemon Haze would be some site seeing shit LMAO. I know some of the big time breeders are affiliated with some of the cafe's. It would definitely be worth looking into. I would do some research before the trip to see who you might find there.

Pot is legal in a lot more places these days. Amsterdam is still the funnest environment there is. Stay high and stay on the move so you can see and experience as much as you can.

I wonder if GreenHouse has a store front, i’ll be in Amsterdam in may :0)

Oudezijds Voorburgwal 191
1012 EW Amsterdam, Netherlands
Phone: +31 20 308 0918

I think their hours are 9am to 1am (local), but cannot swear to it. It's a coffee shop. They may sell "excellent burgers," ;) .

If you suspect a knock off or scared to not know how to pick them out. Don't worry they most likely will still pop. If starting off your fist grow ,it really doesn't matter at that point. Start honing in on the skill direct all time and effort to that. When starting off I did it outdoors and from bag seed. I got them off the pot I use to buy on the streets. Back then feminized seeds weren't really common so some times you get males. But the weed was good usually big bud or skunk. It was hard to figure out some times what the strain actually was but I was just glade that I can grow pot. As I progressed froward so did the strains and the ability to give them to us close to the original.
Some breeders out there do get cuttings of male and female from other breeders of a strain. But they will usually tell you if that was the case. There are a few that will do this. One I am familiar with is CANUK Seeds which is part of another company True North Seed bank. CANUCK seeds meaning Canada and UK . They will make other UK breeder strains here in Canada and they call these elite Strains. They either do this in a col-lab or have permission to reproduce the strain and are given cuttings usually to do this.
Their others out there that will take a different cultivar of the same strains and put them together and name it after the original strain of the original breeder. Some can be very close and some could even be better but sense it is not the true strain used it can be also a shot in the dark.

Below are some breeders from the biginning that do their own or will use other breeders true strains.

Green House Seeds (Strain Hunters)
DNA genetics
Dutch Passion
Jordan of the island
Barney's Farm
Nirvana
Reserva Privada
Paradise Seeeds
Just a few of my head feel free to add more.
To add to the list : Mr Nice Seed Bank. The owner was one of the founders of Green House Seeds and had a hand in breeding White Rhino, which he sells as Medicine Man. He doesn't do fems.

I agree 100% on that.

Didn't know he did White Rhino. I did know that he was a key factor in White Widow and Super Silver Haze. When the guys went their different ways. White Widow stayed with Greenhouse and Mr Nice got The Super Silver Haze.

Greenhouse still carries a SSH but it is now different genetics then the original. Mr Nice is the best of all the Super Silver Hazes

I am still a fan of Greenhouse but Nevele is the real mind behind the genetics that made them Famous.

Mr Nice genetics are the ones where you get what you pay for. Yes they are high priced. They are going to be worth it if you know what you are doing.

I agree 100% on that.

Didn't know he did White Rhino. I did know that he was a key factor in White Widow and Super Silver Haze. When the guys went their different ways. White Widow stayed with Greenhouse and Mr Nice got The Super Silver Haze.

Greenhouse still carries a SSH but it is now different genetics then the original. Mr Nice is the best of all the Super Silver Hazes

I am still a fan of Greenhouse but Nevele is the real mind behind the genetics that made them Famous.

Mr Nice genetics are the ones where you get what you pay for. Yes they are high priced. They are going to be worth it if you know what you are doing.
OOPs. Yeah, it's White Widow. Confused it with White Rhino because that's the seeds I have atm.

Either way the man has skills. We all owe a great debt to the early breeders. The great strains of today would be nowhere without the start they gave us.

Back
Top Bottom