Short Ryder Auto & Bubba Kush - 1st Grow

So why do you think it lost popularity?

Cost, there are about eight million choices now, lots more grow shops and a lower percentage carry it than some other brands... meaning less need to order via Internet but more exposure to other brands, even mainstream nurseries and greenhouses carry Fox Farms now but very few carry H&G, several other companies seem to spend more on advertising, Advanced Nutrients probably spends several times as much, they're not sponsoring forums, my brother's ex-wife's cousin's boy is using Nancy's Nitro Nutrients™ and he's got wicked mean dope every time I deliver a load of groceries so I reckon that's good enough for me, flip a coin, this space intentionally left blank, post no bills, I don't know, all of the above, one from column a and one from column b, if your doctor tells you to take two red pills every six hours but you take six every two hours it's your own fault when you see red spots, why are you still reading this paragraph...

Lots that were popular when there were less choices aren't as popular now. Technaflora has a product called Recipe for Success Starter Kit that sells for, IDK, $35-$45 that's pretty complete. It includes Bloom, Boost, Grow, Grow and Bloom B₁ booster tonics, Awesome Blossoms, MagiCal Ca/Mg/Fe supplement, cloning gel, Sugar Daddy, Root 66, and a mixing chart. It used to be pretty popular. Less so now. Surprise, lol, it's still a pretty complete kit - and it still grows nice cannabis. It's called a starter kit, but many people continue to purchase it time after time, filling in if/when they run out of one individual component.

Some people use Neptune's Harvest Fish and Seaweed products. They're organic and commonly available. Not a real high-yield product line, IMHO, but the buds taste fine. I still usually have a bottle of something or other around that I use as a general supplement once in a while, but am not very likely to use it for a grow again.

I'd just pick a set of nutrients that you feel comfortable with. If you have multiple choices at that point, compare prices, ease of use, or whatever your priorities are. None of them slaughter cannabis left and right ;) . Most do a pretty good job. Some are... a little thing and you end up using them up quicker. You could compare the various nutrient charts, but remember that a lot of them recommend a pretty strong mix and would be considered a "high-wattage, intense light, high production grow" recommendation that is more than might be necessary. Many grow shops have a house brand. If so, it ought to be inexpensive and would probably be adequate at least as a base.

Just getting caught up here. Hows the claw going? Or going away...? I found this on gwe dot com. Ive never had it but you've got experienced peeps here.

Most likely, affected leaves will not recover or change that much. That makes it difficult to see signs of improvement. With growing in general, I find that when problems stop getting worse... you can interpret that fact as things going better. Because of that, I find it difficult to give a plant her exact preferred conditions. When they are unhappy about something, they tell you real fast, but when you make them happy, they may never say thank you clearly. Well, they are female after all ;-)

Most likely, affected leaves will not recover or change that much. That makes it difficult to see signs of improvement. With growing in general, I find that when problems stop getting worse... you can interpret that fact as things going better. Because of that, I find it difficult to give a plant her exact preferred conditions. When they are unhappy about something, they tell you real fast, but when you make them happy, they may never say thank you clearly. Well, they are female after all ;-)
Oh boy.....lol. Definitely nipped this one just at the right time. It's just the mid leaves.

So it seems as though a lot of the new flowers new growth and mid growth have been affected buy my nitrogen tissue. Nobody to blame but myself, although I'm not sure exactly how I gave them too much nitrogen? That being said, I haven't got any yellowing leaves yet but I assume that is to follow. Hopefully I got to it in time where I won't lose too much yield. Live and learn! Luckily my other girl is doing amazingly. And I still expect this one to produce as well, there are lots of flowers continuing to develop on the on the more mature stems.

So it seems as though a lot of the new flowers new growth and mid growth have been affected buy my nitrogen tissue. Nobody to blame but myself, although I'm not sure exactly how I gave them too much nitrogen? That being said, I haven't got any yellowing leaves yet but I assume that is to follow. Hopefully I got to it in time where I won't lose too much yield. Live and learn! Luckily my other girl is doing amazingly. And I still expect this one to produce as well, there are lots of flowers continuing to develop on the on the more mature stems.

I would not worry too much about this one-time excess N.
Plant is at the beginning of flowering and is going to stretch and use quite a bit of N still, so new growth/flowers should adjust as it grows, if they get the right balance of nutes from now on.

...I'm not sure exactly how I gave them too much nitrogen?

A few days ago you said you gave them a generous feeding (I really gave them a heavy dose yesterday).

Your DNF nutes NPK are Grow : 2-1-5 and Bloom : 4-0.5-6... Seems like the Bloom has twice the N of the Grow formula.
You haven't switched to Bloom nutes already (wait until week 3, right ?) ?

Re: Short Ryder Auto & Bubba Kush - 1st Grow

I actually did switch to bloom nutes, and gave them a full strength feeding. That was my issue? If that's the case, it would totally make sense as the other one had already been in flower for 2 weeks; that's why the equal strength feeding didn't affect her........Ahhhh...... lightbulb moment!

I would not worry too much about this one-time excess N.
Plant is at the beginning of flowering and is going to stretch and use quite a bit of N still, so new growth/flowers should adjust as it grows, if they get the right balance of nutes from now on.

A few days ago you said you gave them a generous feeding (I really gave them a heavy dose yesterday).

Your DNF nutes NPK are Grow : 2-1-5 and Bloom : 4-0.5-6... Seems like the Bloom has twice the N of the Grow formula.
You haven't switched to Bloom nutes already (wait until week 3, right ?) ?
Thank you!

This is exactly why a handwritten journal and a 420 Forum Journal is so important. For the growing help of all of your friends as well as something to look back on for them as well to help you correct your issues.

Thank you!

My pleasure.

The DNF feeding schedule instructs to start Bloom at week 3. Any reason why you started right away ?

I think weeks 1-2-3 of flowering should use mainly grow nutes, but I think with my plants an nutes, it's even better to transition gradually from Grow/Bloom. That's what I'll try next time. After week 2 I'll start introducing a bit of Bloom while reducing Grow. Like week2 100% Grow, week3 = 75% grow 25% bloom, week 4 =50/50, week 5 25/75, week 6 = 0/100; Something like that.

BTW my nutes and NPK are completely different than yours, so it's difficult to make parallels.

My pleasure.

The DNF feeding schedule instructs to start Bloom at week 3. Any reason why you started right away ?

I think weeks 1-2-3 of flowering should use mainly grow nutes, but I think with my plants an nutes, it's even better to transition gradually from Grow/Bloom. That's what I'll try next time. After week 2 I'll start introducing a bit of Bloom while reducing Grow. Like week2 100% Grow, week3 = 75% grow 25% bloom, week 4 =50/50, week 5 25/75, week 6 = 0/100; Something like that.

BTW my nutes and NPK are completely different than yours, so it's difficult to make parallels.
For sure and you know what, I have been looking into a different line of nutrients as well. I've been thinking about the House and Home series, but cost is a factor at this point. I was speaking with the owner at the hydro shop yesterday and he said that for the first two hours of you introducing them to water, they actually lower your pH by 2.0 or so.... Crazy how they come back up to neutral after 2 hours. He's using soil but still bubbles his nutrients 24 hours before using.

For sure and you know what, I have been looking into a different line of nutrients as well. I've been thinking about the House and Home series, but cost is a factor at this point. I was speaking with the owner at the hydro shop yesterday and he said that for the first two hours of you introducing them to water, they actually lower your pH by 2.0 or so.... Crazy how they come back up to neutral after 2 hours. He's using soil but still bubbles his nutrients 24 hours before using.

If your other grow (recent harvest) went fine, you could just stick with what you did then and have similar/excellent results ?

Messing with new unknown nutes is like starting a new experiment. Scary.

I loved my EJ Grow, but when I introduced EJ Bloom, everything started yellowing. Several people struggle with this with EJ. But I'm reluctant to change (one reason is I have a good quantity of nutes left), so I'll probably just introduce Bloom slower/later next grow.

The house and garden nutes, lower the pH for two hours?

Apparently. .....the series used together.
A+b definitely lowers ph. By the next day my nute solution is only up by .2 to .3. sometimes it doesn't raise back up at all. I'll mix A let it sit for 15min like it says, then mix rest of my stuff. pH and feed. I've even mixed it all up and waited a few hours, then fed with no ph change. I thought I read somewhere that a air stone will raise pH or least mess with it. Just a heads up my hydro store guy said LEDs are a waste, just because they own a store doesn't mean they know everything. He might not know the air stone is messing with it.

So I'm thinking it's disaster averted. In fact, tonight I've noticed Delores first preflowers. Hopefully part of her genes are kicking in and in the least she'll be an "early girl". I've got some light tip burn so far, but the clawing has stabilized for sure.
420-magazine-mobile634199713.jpg
also trying a new CO2 source, claims to last 9 months
420-magazine-mobile1201307387.jpg

Reds about 14 days since I saw her 1st signs
420-magazine-mobile1748147257.jpg
new Scrog net, tight like a guitar string lol. Close up of my patients new growth
420-magazine-mobile1495027672.jpg
Both of my girls.
420-magazine-mobile484489126.jpg

Back
Top Bottom