Smoking Chronic Alone... and Hip Hop

MartyMcHigh

Alright,
I was introduced to smoking herb mainly because of Dr. Dre's 'The Chronic' Album, in 1993. If you arent a hip hop aficionado, the album cover had a picture of Dre, but inside, the Cd had a giant herb leaf printed on it. The album is a classic, and really opened my eyes to a whole new culture in the hip hop lifestyle. Gone were the concious lyrics of Public Enemy and harmonizing tunes of De La Soul, and in came a wave of new marijuana inspired Gangsta music. Previously, when Dre was with NWA (the group which included Ice Cube and Easy E) he distanced himself from smoking herb by reciting 'i express that i dont smoke weed or sess´' in the song 'Express Yourself'.
Anyway, as I began making friends that shared interest in herb, i began listening to lots of reggae, both dancehall (NinjaMan, Buju Banton, Bounti Killa), and Roots (Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Gregory Issacs). Mostly all the prominent reggae artists were herb smokers. I later realized that all mostly all jazz and blues (which would later develop into rock) were also, ex. the blues song 'champagne and reefer' by Muddy Waters, with lyrics like 'bring me champagne when im thirsty, and reefer when i wanna get high'. This confimed my speculation that the best musicians were herb smokers.

I was mainly a listener of hip hop, and in 1997, when i was 19, I started freestyling in cyphers (in a circle with other rappers; cypher comes from the indian word Cifr, which means zero). All we did was smoke herb and recite our lyrics to eachother, freestyle or written. This was 5 years before that '8 mile' movie, which i feel harmed hip hop in many ways, but also helped make rap battles an international phenomenon. In our freestyling sessions, I began to notice that my best stuff isnt freestyling but its written material. I started smoking alone more often, and writing lyrics.

Smoking with others stopped being fun for a few reasons,.. Firstly, everyone in the hip hop world mostly sticks to blunts. Although probably not the originators of smoking in a cigar the hip hop heads in the New York area were the first to popularize blunt smoking. The earliest reference to smoking a blunt that I know of was in the song 'METHOD man' (1993) from the Wu Tang Clan album 'Enter the 36 Chambers' in which Method Man recites 'i got one bag a skunk, i got White Owl blunts, and im about to go get lifted'
I only used to smoke blunts from 1996-2001. But I switched to joints because i dont like tobacco ( the blunt leaf or paper is made from tobacco...phillies, dutches, white owls, swishers...all of em). Also, I hate some drunk uttering some nonsense, blowing my high, or someone who gets so paranoid in a car because he heard an ambulance siren and thinks the police is following us. And how about the friend who keeps repeating the same annoying thing again and again when he/she gets high..ex.. 'whats good?,

So, now, I mostly smoke alone. Im 33 and single, and most of my current friends dont know I smoke up. Smoking alone now helps me understand music without any distractions, anxieties about police, or anything else. Also, I dont have to be 'on'. i can be in my own little world.
MY SMOKING RITUAL
I have an entire ritual when I smoke now. I roll a joint while watching youtube (mostly anything on conspiracy theories). then turn off all the lights, and put my sunglasses on. then turn on some nice music ex. Pink Floyd, 'The Wall', while watching a movie or UFC with the audio off, i then blow the smoke past my computer screen, i love how it looks.

Anyway, I hope there are others that can relate to this. Stay strong and stay high. And please smoke 1 up while listening to 'champagne and reefer', by Muddy Waters, just go on youtube.

Very interesting post. I've been listening to a lot of Notorious B.I.G. lately. Well, I've been listening to him, Tupac, Eazy E, NWA, and a lot of Bone Thugs and various collabs. I love it! I love the one part in "Relax and Take Notes" by 8 Ball and some others where they put Biggie in "Relax and take notes while I take tokes of the marijuana smoke, gun smoke gun smoke I just want the paper, I just want the paper, I just want the paper, I just want the paper." Awesome stuff. Hopefully I'll be able to download a lot of old school rap soon and be able to blare it in my car stereo.

I'll definitely look into that Muddy Waters song... you definitely have a good depth of musical knowledge and use cannabis in one of the best ways possible, with music. Music and weed is like... uh... well, I can't actually imagine two things that go together better! Props man. I'm tired of blunts, too. I like to taste my weed! For a while, that's all my friends ever smoked. Anyway sorry I keep rambling, but awesome post dude!

i can relate, few years back i could not stop listening to the chronic 93 i loved it, i drove around all day working and blazing, i loved it. also happened with three six mafia - da unbreakables, still listen to both records all day, and are on all my ipods :)

Back
Top Bottom